The online racing simulator
Exchange Help - Please
(11 posts, started )
Exchange Help - Please
OK, heres the deal.

I have a director that has a Blackberry. I have setup a redirect Rule on his account at work and this works. Basically, somebody email's him, and it keeps a copy on the email on his account, and forwards the email to his Blackberry.

Now he is also in a Distribtuion list, and if somebody emails the distribution list this email doesn't get redirected.

Any Ideas as to you. I also tried to create a test distribution list, with my external email address in it, and this doesn't get redirected also.

Any help most greatfully received

Regards

Fordie
I hate blackberries; they're the worst hype possible, and also a pain in the arse to support.

Distribution lists should email outside addresses, if its scope is correct - if its domain local it doesnt email outside (if I remember correctly). Try changing to global or universal.

An alternative is to allow your boss to have POP3 access. I know blackberries support this, and they should also support SSL'ed POP3. This should eliminate your problem and give some relative security.

A better option, if you really want to get this working is to get him to dump that piece of crap and move to a Windows Mobile 5 solution. They now have exchange sync working over GPRS. Very handy, although if you're thinking about moving away from Microsoft any time soon, not such a great idea.
On the subject of exchange, does anyone / Fordie happen to know how to add an exception to IMF? i.e. to stop it applying its SCL ratings? I presumed it would be just adding it to the trusted servers list, but it appears not, and the only other way to override is to make each client add the sender to their trusted list which is a total PITA, and hardly scaleable.
Quote from the_angry_angel :On the subject of exchange, does anyone / Fordie happen to know how to add an exception to IMF? i.e. to stop it applying its SCL ratings? I presumed it would be just adding it to the trusted servers list, but it appears not, and the only other way to override is to make each client add the sender to their trusted list which is a total PITA, and hardly scaleable.

Thats the only way I know off also. You right its a PITA, so I have left the filter determining what is spam. It takes a little time TAA, but it is working very well now
How the distribution list go? Any joy?

Unfortunately client filtering is absolute arse for most of our customers and we use IMF on most exchange servers. Whilst it generally does its job well (if you do the registry hack to make sure it gets its updates), theres a particular sender that sends automated email to our customer via a stock system. Unfortunately it looks like spam to IMF and most humans
Quote from the_angry_angel :How the distribution list go? Any joy?

Unfortunately client filtering is absolute arse for most of our customers and we use IMF on most exchange servers. Whilst it generally does its job well (if you do the registry hack to make sure it gets its updates), theres a particular sender that sends automated email to our customer via a stock system. Unfortunately it looks like spam to IMF and most humans

Haven't started work on the DL as yet. Reg Hack Would you like to share that one with us

TAA, I think we should ask Vic for our own little Exchange SubSection
lol anything corporate servers based sounds like a good idea for a subforum

To make IMF version 2 (exchange 2003 sp2+) get its definition updates try the following:
1. Open regedit /regedt32
2. Expand the following: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange
3. Make a new key called "ContentFilterState", with a DWORD type and give it a value of 1.
4. Close the registry editor, and restart the SMTP service via the exchange system manager.

I have no idea if it works in IMF v1 or not, as I updated the last exchange server about 2 weeks ago (incidentally, dont ever forget to remove IMF v1 if you are doing a service pack. exchange freaks out if you dont, which I found out first hand :doh

Next time you run Microsoft Updates, or WSUS it should pick up any updates and download them. Saves you manually having to apply the damn hotfixes! I cant remember if it picks it up via bog standard Windows updates, but I think it probably does.
Quote from the_angry_angel :
I have no idea if it works in IMF v1 or not, as I updated the last exchange server about 2 weeks ago (incidentally, dont ever forget to remove IMF v1 if you are doing a service pack. exchange freaks out if you dont, which I found out first hand :doh

Arr, that would be why our Exchange server crapped out why I tried to apply the SP. Damn Manuals, don't tell you things like this. Best I plan to re-install the SP one weekend then. Thats for that heads up TAA
It doesnt take long to do to be honest, especially if the box is nice and fast and not busy, but the bosses dont need to know that - plus if its out of hours its at least double time

To be honest, other than a few bug fixes, introducing IMF as standard, and sender ID / SPF (which is pretty much arse as no one supports it), theres not much extra to SP2. Just seems like an extra thing to bill someone for at this point...
Quote from the_angry_angel :To be honest, other than a few bug fixes, introducing IMF as standard, and sender ID / SPF (which is pretty much arse as no one supports it), theres not much extra to SP2. Just seems like an extra thing to bill someone for at this point...

dont forget remote wipe for mobile devices and email push although email push kills the battery (has to be on gprs all the time)
Since I widely regard most mobile supported features as total shite, I see remote mobile wipe as insanely dangerous.

I thought that there was something you could setup on windows mobile pda's that told it only to connect every X seconds/minutes....I'm pretty sure thats how my colleague's imate jam is setup....

Exchange Help - Please
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG