The online racing simulator
thing is Becky, if there is a set procedure around promotions, and someone with little to no experience waltzes in and gets promoted to a high spot in the company having only been around a fraction of the time that other people have been, you are going to be a bit suspicious.....
Not really Mookie, i've seen a white man waltz into a company, took ideas I had to the boss before I did, and got promoted 2 weeks after starting. I guess just because he was a white and male I should have played the opression card? What I actually did was kick myself for not taking my ideas to the boss sooner.

I've seen plenty of people promoted in my working carear, I didnt always like the person that got promoted, or agree with managements decision, but i'm not bitter about all the white men i've seen getting promoted ahead of me.
Quote from andybarsblade :we had around 40 guys on the shop floor, of those 40 we had one female (see above) one black guy and one asian guy called Prit

Certainly sounds like those minorities are really taking over!
Quote from Electrik Kar :Certainly sounds like those minorities are really taking over!

Sorry maybe i should explain, This was at a railway repair depot which means skilled workers doing 12 hour shifts getting covered in grease and oil and doing safety critical repairs. The female who worked there was a ex rolls royce apprentice (like i said very intelligent) and Prit was a qualified cnc machinist who worked on the wheel lathe. Everyone who worked there had to have some engineering back ground and qualifications.

Not really a good example cross section to judge the level of minorities in a area, Im sure if you only looked at taxi drivers, mobile phone shops, kebab shops in any area you'd think british white people were the minority
that reminded me about how soaps were told off for stereotyping minorities by portraying them as corner shop owners and taxi cab firm owners/drivers .....which, I'm sure you'll agree is actually true. Almost all the corner shops I've ever been to have been run by asians, as have almost all the taxi cab firms I've ever used (except the black cabs in London, I'm talking about the ones you phone up and arrange)
Quote from mookie427 :that reminded me about how soaps were told off for stereotyping minorities by portraying them as corner shop owners and taxi cab firm owners/drivers .....which, I'm sure you'll agree is actually true. Almost all the corner shops I've ever been to have been run by asians, as have almost all the taxi cab firms I've ever used (except the black cabs in London, I'm talking about the ones you phone up and arrange)

Almost every taxi within 20 miles of me is owned by the same white British man, some bloke called Steve, apparently, judging by the name "Steve Taxi's" on the side of just about every taxi i've seen for the past 8 years.

Of the two nearest 'corner' shops, one is owned by an asian, the other a co-op franchise owned by a white British man.

I think the white British male stereotype must be "Somebody who puts labels on things".
well that's not the same where I live, I'd say 90% of the small corner shops here are asian-run, and 90% of all th minicab drivers are asians too
Quote from andybarsblade :And just as an example of what a sickening 'everybodys equal' pc hell hole that place is to work at heres a promontional photograph ive just pulled of their web site:

God its like a un meeting

Whats wrong with the picture? So long as they only got there due to hard work, not due to who they are.

Yes I believe 'positive discrimination' does happen sometimes, but simply hating all foreigners because of it is not the way forward, instead you should just work harder and beat them at their own game.

Often (probrably out of bitterness or jealousy) people claim that a foreign person was given preferential treatment over them because of race, when infact it was because they did work harder.

Unfortunately I'm back. I'm puzzled why this thread hasnt been closed yet (yes I did report it), its just the same rants that have been heard everywhere else, and the same opinions, that will never be changed.
Quote from Becky Rose :When the 65th hour of work without sleep comes, when you've worked so hard that you goto the fridge and realise you have to take some time out because you've run out of food and you feel guilty about it because you want the project completed, when you have to make a 3am drive home to feed the cats because they've not been tended to for a few days - all so that you can be the one thats at the front of the queue when promotion comes, then you have a right to say you are discriminated against if the ethnic group A is checked.

Has it ever crossed your mind the reason you don't get promotions is because you have to work so much overtime back to back to try and get a project out of the door on time?

It shows you can't really handle the work load as a result the chappy who only requires the business hours to get the job done gets the promotion.
Quote from 5haz :Whats wrong with the picture?

aside from that its blatantly contrived to the point where its nothing more than comical?

theres pretty much any race there (at least all of the obviously distinguishable ones) every hair colour (even gray) every gender... anything you could think of

ever watched the death camp of tolerance south park episode?
Today we vill be using the fingerpaint! You vill make a painting that shows people of different races and sexual orientations getting along. Figerpaint. Figerpaint! You vill not make any distinction between people of different colors! People with different sexual preferences! You vill accept everyone!
The discussion seems to have changed topic yet again...

Well, Psycho, it is quite naive nowadays to think that the workload you have to handle is per rule doable without working overtime.
Or you have a great job
Quote from Shotglass :aside from that its blatantly contrived to the point where its nothing more than comical?

theres pretty much any race there (at least all of the obviously distinguishable ones) every hair colour (even gray) every gender... anything you could think of

ever watched the death camp of tolerance south park episode?
Today we vill be using the fingerpaint! You vill make a painting that shows people of different races and sexual orientations getting along. Figerpaint. Figerpaint! You vill not make any distinction between people of different colors! People with different sexual preferences! You vill accept everyone!

What if by chance it was absolutely coincidental?

Anyway political corectness isnt something that is completely enforced upon us (yet!), we're free to think our own thoughts, your allowed to dislike anyone, just you have to be a bit daft to dislike seomeone simply for no reason other than they're different to you in apperance.
Quote from ColeusRattus :The discussion seems to have changed topic yet again...

Well, Psycho, it is quite naive nowadays to think that the workload you have to handle is per rule doable without working overtime.
Or you have a great job

Overtime is understandable, but if you're doing 65+ plus sleep free hours on the trot, you need to take a step back and look at your life because you're doing something wrong. The only place one might consider that a normality is on a battle field.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Overtime is understandable, but if you're doing 65+ plus sleep free hours on the trot, you need to take a step back and look at your life because you're doing something wrong. The only place one might consider that a normality is on a battle field.

Or in the NHS, or when theres a series audit coming up in my work place.

I take my work home, but thats down to me doing that bit extra that is needed and aiming for perfection, which doesn't happen at the first go. I think that what Becky was on about.
If you where my boss, or had worked with me, i'd accept judgement from you as to how much work I deliver.
Quote from andybarsblade :How about having a motorbike accident and being in a wheel chair then going back to work in a dangerous enviroment when you cant walk properly?
Or having a operation on your stomach and being signed off work for 8 weeks but returning after 2.
Or breaking your wrist and having a op being signed of for 4 weeks then returning to work a week later?
Or having the left side of your face paralyzed so you can blink or talk or eat/drink but not even taking a day off work?
[snip]
if you did what i do for 65 hours you would

A, Be fired as its law that you cannot work in a safety critical enviroment for more than 12 hours without a break.

If you really did the things you just mentioned above, you should also be fired. Being half-sick but still going to work in a safety-critical environment... It's madness.
Quote from Becky Rose :I've had to work myself to the point of ill health to get ahead
[snip]
When the 65th hour of work without sleep comes, when you've worked so hard that you goto the fridge and realise you have to take some time out because you've run out of food and you feel guilty about it because you want the project completed, when you have to make a 3am drive home to feed the cats because they've not been tended to for a few days - all so that you can be the one thats at the front of the queue when promotion comes[...]

This may sound cynical, but someone who works to the point of ill health is probably less eligible for promotion. Working habits like that may be an indication that you
  • Might burn out if you are given more responsibility, which is a risk to yourself as well as a financial risk to the company.
  • Are bad at relegating tasks to others, which is an important skill for people in a senior position.
  • Are bad at estimating/planning your own work.
  • Are naive enough to work your a** off for a low salary, so there's no reason for the company to give you a raise.
Quote from Shotglass :
Quote from 5haz :Whats wrong with the picture?

aside from that its blatantly contrived to the point where its nothing more than comical?

So? It's a promotional picture. It's got nothing to do with the actual work in that company. The people in the pic probably work for a modeling agency. The sole aim is to create a "feelgood" effect among the audience. (With folks like andybarsblade it fails miserably, but it's the average that counts.)
Quote from wsinda :So? It's a promotional picture. It's got nothing to do with the actual work in that company.

My thoughts exactly. All they've succeeded in proving here is that stock photographers like to photograph groups of people with varying race. In my experience they also like pretty girls talking in mobile phones, and men in suits with briefcases.

I'm struggling to see what the outrage is about.
the 'outrage' is the fact it so blatantly conforms to politically correct ideals.....
  • Quote :Might burn out if you are given more responsibility, which is a risk to yourself as well as a financial risk to the company.

OK enough with the bashing me for working hard. I work in software, we have this thing called "crunch" where the deadline set my marketting has to be met by the developers who are already 6 staff down... They're building an entire research lab in India just to ease my work load... ok, I work hard because 1) we're short staffed; 2) I know that in doing so will help the company and show that when our backs are to the wall i'll be there all guns blazing. I'm well aware of burn-out issues, i've done it before, I know how to manage myself which is why I just had an easy week.
  • Are bad at relegating tasks to others, which is an important skill for people in a senior position.
Like I said, when there's people to delegate my work too i'll do so. Right now i'm waiting for new peeps to get recruited.
  • Are bad at estimating/planning your own work.
I wish the planning was down to me, it's down to marketting.
  • Are naive enough to work your a** off for a low salary, so there's no reason for the company to give you a raise.
Actually i'm paid a small fortune, for the standards of a young professional woman
Quote from mookie427 :the 'outrage' is the fact it so blatantly conforms to politically correct ideals.....

So what? Go take your own stock photos using only white males then. If they're any good I promise to use a couple of them instead of these horrible PC photos.

You're blowing this "problem" so completely out of proportion it's not even funny. In my daily life I encounter loads more people like you, complaining about how they're being forced to be politically correct, than I see actual people wanting me to be more politically correct. In fact I don't think anyone's ever complained about my, or anyone I know's, political correctness.

That's obviously just anecdotal evidence based on my personal experience, but I have a sneaking suspicion you've had a similar experience since you have repeatedly evaded requests for actual proof of this happening. Photos like that prove exactly jack shit.
for every photo like that, there's a photo of a Republican Press Conference, although they did admittedly manage to get a token female into that picture.
Quote from Becky Rose :for every photo like that, there's a photo of a Republican Press Conference, although they did admittedly manage to get a token female into that picture.

Some of them are looking at the ginger haired man in a slightly sinister way though. Top left, shouldn't he be running Mclaren?
Quote from Becky Rose :OK enough with the bashing me for working hard.

Sorry, I didn't want to bash you. I tried to point out that the fact that someone's working hard doesn't necessarily make him/her more entitled to be promoted. And that, from the position of management, it may even be a reason not to promote them.
Quote :I work in software, we have this thing called "crunch" where the deadline set my marketting has to be met by the developers who are already 6 staff down...

I know about crunch mode. I work in software too. (Although, thankfully, not in places where crunch mode is customary.)

I've done some reading. Even though I can see the attraction of the heroism behind it, I think that crunch mode is a sign of bad management, detrimental to the company and to the employees.
Quote :I wish the planning was down to me, it's down to marketting.

Indeed, bad management.

BNP membership data leaked - whoops!
(982 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG