The online racing simulator
getting better
(61 posts, started )
getting better
im just curious how everyone got better in racing...

i mean im playing this game for a month now and im doing same lap times
as i did like three days after i started playing the game. and im getting mad cause i cant go faster and i dont know how to do it... everybody says practice practice, but i am practicing like 200 laps a day in single player and some racing in multi player and still no effect in improvement...

how do you guys get better?
Practice.

Also, look at WR laps to see where they drive faster, or even directly compare them to your hotlaps with one of the lap comparison tools (Analyse For Speed, etc.)
Practise

It depends, really. If you're several seconds per lap slower than others, doing 200 laps may not help you if you keep doing the same (wrong) things over and over again.

When I see that there's clearly something more than just more laps missing, I download WR replays and see what I'm doing differently. I then try to mimic braking points, apexes etc. until I have the correct technique. Then comes practise, which will get the laptimes down in due time.

Also realise that every now and then you'll hit a skill barrier. Different things work for different people. Forceably practising for ages doesn't work for me. Just keep racing and one day the barrier will shatter, you'll improve in one huge leap and hit the next barrier
Well i would like you guys to watch the hotlap replay of me and the fbm in blackwood and tell me what could i do better now?

EDIT : removed the 1.14.96 time cause i just did a 1.14.43 run and want you to download it and watch it and maybe comment on what can i improve?
Upload it to LFSW and use the analyser to compare it with Bawbag's WR run. Your lap doesn't look bad, so could be down to downforce or just not being aggressive enough in the braking zones. You can see all that easily from the analyser.

I think demo accounts can upload to LFSW, if not, get one of the 3rd party analysers.
I watched the replay, your driving is at least fairly good (can't fully judge because I don't drive the FBM).

But few notes, when entering a corner, aim so that you can get out of it fast. Not for a fast "get in". You sometimes get in smoothly and fast, so you can't get out early and it results as pumping the gas mid corner, when you kinda don't know what to do.

Brake, turn in aggressively, hit the apex and floor the throttle when possible and steer out of the corner.

Also when back starts sliding, just catch it, don't let it drift. Of course when you get the corner done properly, when exiting it there is not so much of a sliding because you have aimed for "easy" and fast corner exit.

It's also psychological, if you just think that "I have to be fast" you easily drive like this and get in fast and then exiting corner is not so good, because that was not your goal.
But when you think "I have to get out of that corner fast" it is easier to properly do it, because during the whole "performance", from braking to the end of the corner, your goal is to get out fast and you aim for it early, even when you are starting to think about braking point.
Quote from spenceris :im just curious how everyone got better in racing...

i mean im playing this game for a month now and im doing same lap times
as i did like three days after i started playing the game. and im getting mad cause i cant go faster and i dont know how to do it... everybody says practice practice, but i am practicing like 200 laps a day in single player and some racing in multi player and still no effect in improvement...

how do you guys get better?

This might help - http://gentlefoot.com/LFS/improvinglaptimes.html

It used to be in the manual but they removed it for some reason.
Thanks for the help guys but im so getting frustrating on how the hell they enter those corners so quickly i cant possibly do that.
i think its just useless now to try getting faster with a mouse if im getting the G25 or the Logitech MOMO steering wheel this week... true?
Of course it is very hard to get really fast with a mouse and kb, ie. you can't be that precise with them.

Tho don't get frustrated when you find it hard to learn driving whit a wheel then. But I myself recommend the G25 personally.

Before you get the wheel you still can of course practice the "get out fast" as I wrote earlier.
Will surely do
Well i was reading your suggestions like twice and watched WR holders a bit, the speed their traveling and im getting better. I was doing 1.15's like average time in laps and now im doing 1.14's.

Now im having problems in these corners.
Keep at it, having problems in a specific corner is just down to confidence and laps Oh and please attach JPGs instead of BMPs
Ok. Another quetion : what should i do when i spin out of the track or crash into a wall.. im getting so freakin' frustrating that i want to smash my keyboard and tear of the mouse in two peaces... but i want to go on with the races but i cant its just so frustrating....
It just shows you're trying hard. Instead of pushing 110% all of the time and trying to drive faster than you can, accept that at the moment you drive at a certain average pace. Drive in a relaxed manner, at your own pace, not pushing hard at all. When you race that way you won't do your head in and you'll still have good battles.. with people you can keep behind you.
Ill try doing that, but if im not pushing that hard i cant do fast lap times im doing right now but theres more chances im going to crash somewhere like an idiot...
Quote from spenceris :Well i was reading your suggestions like twice and watched WR holders a bit, the speed their traveling and im getting better. I was doing 1.15's like average time in laps and now im doing 1.14's.

A 1:14 low with a mouse and keyboard isn't that bad at all, man. I'm not even that quick yet with a wheel!

Take care,
PK
my pb is 1.14.21 and im doing mid 1.14 laps now sometimes 1.15 lows when im out of control in some corner now when im frustrating i just leave the game and go making my own skin for the fbm when the frustration is gone i just watch wr holders replays a few times and get back on track again.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :It just shows you're trying hard. Instead of pushing 110% all of the time and trying to drive faster than you can, accept that at the moment you drive at a certain average pace. Drive in a relaxed manner, at your own pace, not pushing hard at all.

Best advice in this thread

When you're consciously pushing for fast laps it nearly always has the opposite effect. Relaxed and smooth is the way to get fast. All of my pb's are done in race conditions and when i didn't think the lap felt that fast.

That's why i don't bother hotlapping, you end up pushing too hard and making mistakes. Just race, keep cool and relaxed and learn from following the faster drivers.
Quote from The Moose :Just race, keep cool and relaxed and learn from following the faster drivers.

yes obiwan!!!!
Quote from spenceris :Well i was reading your suggestions like twice and watched WR holders a bit, the speed their traveling and im getting better. I was doing 1.15's like average time in laps and now im doing 1.14's.

You uploaded a bitmap, sir. You fail at internet.
Relaxing doesnt help me at all i just cant relax. I spin out or crash in the track more often while relaxed than im like trying harder than i can...
I just cant relax i already smashed one of my mouses. its just retarded.
Im doing one of my fast laps 1st split 23.86 thats the best ive had and i know im going to crash in the corner from the long straight and it happened! Its freakin killing me! I cant take it anymore
Try to get some fun out of the learning process... After all it's only a game

Besides you don't get the bill after smashing the FBM to bits, so smile and try again!

getting better
(61 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG