The online racing simulator
Quote from The Moose :Gerrard has been absolutely shite all season.

I've been thinking that Gerrard needs to move to another club for a couple of years.

There are days when he's a proper footballing force, and he can pick the team up by the scruff of the neck and make them win a game, but more often than not he's just blasting nothing balls into the stands. And he gets away with it because he's untouchable at Liverpool now.

He should do what Henry did - recognise that he's doing more harm than good and look for something new to do.
Quote from The Moose :Your living in a dreamland.

Glen is a good player going forward, but a pretty poor defender. Riera is completely inconsistent and injured more than he's fit. Lucas has been one of our best players this season. (the blindness of you Lucas haters is beyond comprehension. do you actually watch the games?) Gerrard has been absolutely shite all season. He simply doesn't look interested. Dirk ,for all his effort, is terrible on the wing. Torres is the best player we've had for years, but having a player that spends half the season injured with no top quality backup isn't going to win us anything.

You really need to take off the rose tinted glasses.

I can tell you're not a scouser.
Quote from The Moose : Lucas has been one of our best players this season. (the blindness of you Lucas haters is beyond comprehension. do you actually watch the games?)

That may be a correct statement, but it's not saying much given Liverpool's form this season. Lucas is so ordinary. He's never going to be a big physical presence, and yet he has very little to show in terms of footballing flair. I thought Liverpool were better than that.
Quote from BlueFlame :I can tell you're not a scouser.

What has that got to do with anything? I've been supporting Liverpool for 32 years. I probably know more about the club than a lot of scousers.(and i know several scousers that agree with every word i said, so what's your point?) Yet again instead of debating any of the points i make you come out with one line of irrelevance.

Quote from sinbad :That may be a correct statement, but it's not saying much given Liverpool's form this season. Lucas is so ordinary. He's never going to be a big physical presence, and yet he has very little to show in terms of footballing flair. I thought Liverpool were better than that.

You're absolutely correct. He's no world beater,never will be and i never said he was. I just get a bit fed up with people who blame everything on Lucas when he's actually been one of our better players this season. He's always improving and obviously giving his all.

I'd much rather it were Mash and Gerrard in the middle ,with Aqualani playing behind Torres. But on current form i cant see Gerrard making much more of an impact than Lucas. Sad days indeed.
Quote from The Moose :What has that got to do with anything? I've been supporting Liverpool for 32 years. I probably know more about the club than a lot of scousers.(and i know several scousers that agree with every word i said, so what's your point?) Yet again instead of debating any of the points i make you come out with one line of irrelevance.

All I have to say is. Where's the love? The results will come as they always do, as a Liverpool fan you know we have our ups and downs. You're the real sunshiner if you thought the good results would last.
Quote from BlueFlame :All I have to say is. Where's the love? The results will come as they always do, as a Liverpool fan you know we have our ups and downs. You're the real sunshiner if you thought the good results would last.

Being a fan is not just about blindly following your team, but also realising when the gig is up with the current set-up. Anyone backing Raffa has their head buried in the sand as it's clear as crystal that things are not as they should be.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Being a fan is not just about blindly following your team, but also realising when the gig is up with the current set-up. Anyone backing Raffa has their head buried in the sand as it's clear as crystal that things are not as they should be.

I'm not backing anyone.
Quote from BlueFlame :I'm not backing anyone.

By saying, and I quote

Quote from BlueFlame :It's not Rafa that's the problem.

It definitely seems that you are exonerating Rafa of any blame, which is to be fair, absurd. If it's not Rafa then who is too blame for the lack of motivation, disharmony and general apathy shown last night?
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :By saying, and I quote

It definitely seems that you are exonerating Rafa of any blame, which is to be fair, absurd. If it's not Rafa then who is too blame for the lack of motivation, disharmony and general apathy shown last night?

Yep, and you can't even really blame the players, because with just a couple of exceptions, they are of course all his signings. Is the current Liverpool team anywhere near as good as the Champions League winning team? IMO no way near, with one obvious exception who they will do very well to hang to. There's no long term improvement, and apparently no plan for it.

I think there's half a dozen good footballers in the squad. So many rubbish signings. Without that Champion's league win, he would have lost all fan support quite a while ago too I reckon. Certainly he wouldn't have lasted this long.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie : If it's not Rafa then who is too blame for the lack of motivation, disharmony and general apathy shown last night?

Just to say, if it were only last night then there wouldn't be a problem. It's been like this for the whole of this season.
I have been thinking that Rafa should leave ever since I saw that unprofessional rant about Ferguson in a press interview where he tried to take Fergie on at his own game, which he failed miserably at.
Quote from Gills4life :I have been thinking that Rafa should leave ever since I saw that unprofessional rant about Ferguson in a press interview where he tried to take Fergie on at his own game, which he failed miserably at.

If managers should resign because of unprofessional rants Fergie would have had to go years ago.

That wasn't Rafa's greatest moment, but hardly a reason for him to resign. The team had a little wobble after that (which was pure coincidence imo) but went on to play some fantastic stuff after that and were virtually unbeatable, putting in some of the best performances I've seen from a Liverpool team for many years.
Quote from The Moose :If managers should resign because of unprofessional rants Fergie would have had to go years ago.

That wasn't Rafa's greatest moment, but hardly a reason for him to resign. The team had a little wobble after that (which was pure coincidence imo) but went on to play some fantastic stuff after that and were virtually unbeatable, putting in some of the best performances I've seen from a Liverpool team for many years.

It was just what I thought. My opinion of him dropped massively after that. He was never going to achieve anything by doing it, it was stupid. That's why "I" thought he should have left, because I didn't like him very much! I don't particularly love Fergie, but he does a brilliant job most of the time.
Quote from The Moose :Just to say, if it were only last night then there wouldn't be a problem. It's been like this for the whole of this season.

6 months of poor results doesn't erase 5 years of progress.

Just be patient.

Rafa is a manager that understands LFC, he understands the fans and has the passion for the club. No matter how much money you throw about, you cant buy that.
Quote from D.Zanetti :6 months of poor results doesn't erase 5 years of progress.

As soon as you start slipping backward the previous progress becomes irrelevant. We are going backwards, fast.

Quote from D.Zanetti :Just be patient.

I've been very patient for a good 20 years.

Quote from D.Zanetti :Rafa is a manager that understands LFC, he understands the fans and has the passion for the club. No matter how much money you throw about, you cant buy that.

I like Rafa, and i agree with everything you've said. Sadly being a nice bloke, understanding the fans and our history and being passionate doesn't mean sweet fa if your incapable of taking the club forward.

If those were the criteria for being our manager then you or i could do the job

We will not make the top 4 this season with him in charge, we will have sod all money to spend at the end of the season if thats the case, which in turn will leave us struggling to make the top 4 for a long time to come.

I'll take absolutely no pleasure at the end of the season in saying "I told you so"

If you're right then I'll be the happiest man alive. Unfortunately i think your living in la la land.

I've not felt this bad about our club since the Souness era. Lets hope i'm very wrong.
I thought i'd share this post with you, originally posted by davvo7 at R&W.

Quote :I have avoided coming on here recently due to the ignorant shite that seems to dominate most of the threads, but I am really glad I read this one. Some top posts, wish I was as eloquent.

I keep reading statements like, "I have a right to my opinion!" and that may be true, but nobody ever mentions the other side of that coin, what about your responsibilities?

My responsibility is to publicly support my club, always has been and always will be. I was lucky enough (or is it just old enough?) to have been in Rome and at Wembley and I, like many others was part of something you can't put into words during those times. Like it's already been said, I supported all the managers of the 20 years, even Souness but I never gave up hope that we could get back to those heights. It didn't happen.

Then Sr. Benitez started something, tackling years of inertia within our youth and reserve set up, instilling a sense of belief in good players that have made them world class players. I wasn't able to afford to go to Istanbul, but I unashamedly cried tears of joy that night, It was like being that kid again, sitting on that bleedin train on the way back from Italy, nothing mattered because we were the best team in the world. Rafa Benitez brought that back for me, and I cannot thank him enough for what he has done for my club.

To have stood up to the thieves and incompetants that infest my club, and to do so with grace, dignity and huge passion, he deserves the freedom of the city, never mind the vicious and unfounded criticism he faces on a daily basis - and from so-called LFC supporters. Some of you should be ashamed.

Times change, maybe I don't understand, or maybe I'm too old fashioned, but Sr. Benitez was bringing back a feeling that was missing from my club - it was about a city, it was about pride and not a global brand or profit margins. He has brought players from all over the world who understand what it means to be part of a unique club in a unique city. I can't really explain - Shanks knew, Sir Bob knew, Kenny knows; Rafa knows but he is up against people who don't. They don't understand how to support Liverpool Football Club, never will sadly. The only hope I have is when I read some of the posters who do know what I am trying to get at (unsuccessfully I think) - who have been around long enough to appreciate what we have in our manager, and just how you are supposed to behave if you profess to support this club. I got my football education in the 60's and 70's from lads who had supported us in the 2nd Division and watched a manager come in and change the way the club acted, from top to bottom. A period of massive upheaval that paved the way for a club that changed the face of football.

We are still in a transitional phase, with so much needing to be changed and if you think that happens overnight, or in 3 years then you are a knobhead. There is nobody better in the world to be in charge during this phase, but it needs everybody to do their bit - something that is woefully lacking, and something that is hamstringing Sr. Benitez.

Sr. Benitez, you are the manager of the greatest club in the world, and given the proper support, both inside and out, (and so many of the players need to take a long look at themselves this season), you could bring a new era of success that I dream of.

Stay strong and know that there are many many supporters who will back you 100%. I believe you can turn it around.

In Rafa we trust, you'll never walk alone.
How patronizing of you. Well done.

This is the first time I've ever said enough is enough and spoken out against one of our managers in over 30 years of supporting this club, and you roll out the "superfan" speech.

I'll support the guy whilst he's here, I'll support the club until i die, whatever circumstances it finds itself in. I'll continue to get unreasonably upset for an adult when we loose, and ridiculously happy when we win. My love for Liverpool FC will never change.

None of that makes any difference to the fact that i think Rafa is taking us backwards. I'm no less of a fan for having that opinion.

For now all negativity is forgotten. We've got a game to win. Let's hope this will be the start of turning this mess around. YNWA.
Quote from D.Zanetti :I thought i'd share this post with you, originally posted by davvo7 at R&W.

A post from someone who is burying their head in the sand, or doesn't want to accept the truth.

Rafa has been at Liverpool since 2004, his major trophy win, which fans keep harping back to when defending him, was the Champions league....but that was a side very much with players from a Gerard Houllier's side. Since then he has had time and money to make his own stamp on the team and has come back with nothing......no cups, no league trophy’s and now in the middle of their worst season since back in the mid 90's.

Rafa has had his chance, if the poster was being true about his responsibility is to publicly support my club, then he also has to realise that he cannot back a manager who has clearly lost the dressing room, lost some respect and lost the plot. Its fans like that who gives the club a laughing stock image (for example....Newcastle Fans).

Rafa's public apology was an embarrassment and insulted the intelligence of the fans, if the apology was true and meant then why was it pre-written, he managed to do ok when he ranted against Fergie. Another thing is, that the fans have for so long pointed the fingers at the owners, and have taken their eye of who really is in charge (incidentally how can the owners be at fault, considering they have backed Rafa in the market)

A manager lives and dies by his signing’s...the cold light of the day is that Rafa has been shocking in the market. The Robbie Keane fiasco, letting Crouch go and what is the deal with the £20 million signing of Aquilani who seems to be too weak to play 2 games in a week??</SPAN>

Moving on from the soap drama that is Liverpool, anyone watching the African Nation cup.....and anyone else, like me, hating those bloody horns that they blow for the full 90 mins. Learn some bloody songs damn it.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Moving on from the soap drama that is Liverpool, anyone watching the African Nation cup.....and anyone else, like me, hating those bloody horns that they blow for the full 90 mins. Learn some bloody songs damn it.

As if football itself wasn't bad enough these days, now we'll have the most annoying supporters ever. This one will be a tough World Cup.

@Liverpool: it's always been my favorite team outside Brazil, and I completely agree with Moose and Mackie... whatever Rafa started when he got there, it's simply not working for some time now. The team needs some sort of shaking, a change, new air, whatever. It's like he's just experimenting all the time and is never really sure what he wants.
Quote from The Moose :How patronizing of you. Well done.

This is the first time I've ever said enough is enough and spoken out against one of our managers in over 30 years of supporting this club, and you roll out the "superfan" speech.

I'll support the guy whilst he's here, I'll support the club until i die, whatever circumstances it finds itself in. I'll continue to get unreasonably upset for an adult when we loose, and ridiculously happy when we win. My love for Liverpool FC will never change.

None of that makes any difference to the fact that i think Rafa is taking us backwards. I'm no less of a fan for having that opinion.

For now all negativity is forgotten. We've got a game to win. Let's hope this will be the start of turning this mess around. YNWA.

If you want glory then go support Man U or Arsenal because you don't seem like you have enough pride to be a Kopite.
Quote from BlueFlame :If you want glory then go support Man U or Arsenal because you don't seem like you have enough pride to be a Kopite.

If i wanted glory I'd have stopped supporting Liverpool 20 years ago. I'll still be supporting our team if it were in League 2. Where did i ever say i want glory? Your inability to read or comprehend never fails to amaze me.
What have Arsenal got to do with anything? What glory have they had in the last few years?
Stop talking complete nonsense.

I'd like to watch a team that plays with pride in the shirt, not a bunch of uninterested overpaid players who's idea of football is to hoof the ball aimlessly over and over.

The only people i see with no pride at the moment is the majority of guys in red shirts.
Quote from The Moose :

I'd like to watch a team that plays with pride in the shirt, not a bunch of uninterested overpaid players who's idea of football is to hoof the ball aimlessly over and over.

The only people i see with no pride at the moment is the majority of guys in red shirts.

Well what you say entitles you to any Anfield seat but I think you've lost sight.
Quote from BlueFlame :Well what you say entitles you to any Anfield seat but I think you've lost sight.

Your either on the wind up....or seriously blinded by false promise.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Your either on the wind up....or seriously blinded by false promise.

Well I ain't singing anyone's praises or being negetive, we suck atm but we will get out of it.
Quote from BlueFlame :Well I ain't singing anyone's praises or being negetive, we suck atm but we will get out of it.

So what should change?
Hopefully Benitez will wake up and realise he needs to do things differently, not just in the short term, because ultimately the buck stops with him. He has had money (not Man city or Chelsea quantities, but still enough to sustain), he has had time. The players are his players.

He keeps saying it will turn around, but by the time it does, if it does, expectations will have dropped to the point where a UEFA cup spot next season will seem like an achievment.

Being proud to support your club doesn't equal blind faith that they are the best that they can be, and being happy with whatever they do, wherever they finish. It's just as much about wanting the best for your club, even if that means change.

The General Football Discusion Thread
(3469 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG