The online racing simulator
Quote from Electrik Kar :Now I'm struggling to keep it under 1.40 as I've just bought a wheel and trying to get used to that.

When I switched from the pad to the wheel I was left with the impression that the time spent on the other controller was basically wasted.

The pad was just more like learning the tricks rather than feeling and understanding what was happening. I had to start back from scratch, but now I'm finding it a little bit easier to change to a different track or car.

The situation is probably better with mouse, but I've learnt here of several fast drivers who don't really want to switch to other controllers no matter what, I guessed there might be more to it than just me completely snailfast

Quote from S14 DRIFT :With modern technology. variable valve timing, twin cams, modern materials etc, a 1.3 can easily push out 100bhp+ in a road going application.

Modern technology? Does TU2 ring a bell? A slightly oversquare SOHC and no thrills And I'm sure ehrm more mature chaps can come up with even better (=older) examples.

Having top end power is just a matter of choosing a fitting cam profile, you'll end up with a peaky engine which is little or no good in the traffic, but in LFS we rarely rev it under 5k anyway (though the XFG pulls maybe a little too much from the low range)

Modern technology is all about safety, emission control and fuel economy, those do not rhyme with performance at all.

And besides, the entire hot hatch concept is out of fashion, even the small turbo GDI engines that are coming up are likely to be just variations on the emission control theme.
Quote :When I switched from the pad to the wheel I was left with the impression that the time spent on the other controller was basically wasted.

I'm feeling the same way. It's compounded to by the fact that I haven't picked up LFS for months, and was out of it even when using the mouse. It's taken a bit to understand what is happening with the FF- the forces didn't feel natural at first and I was put off- now though it's all starting to settle in. I'm really happy I've finally made the switch as I can begin to see LFS really opening up, becoming a whole new thing.

*also, I have a new excuse to be crap.
For some reason, I hate Blackwood. Maybe I should say that I Hate the long straight, especially in the slower cars. The rest of the track is fun, but I could probably take a nap on the back stretch.
Quote from jbirdaspec :If you don't do this already...Try blipping the throttle with down shifts when braking for the corner. Try and match the revs of the engine when the clutch engages. Don't be in a hurry to down shift the car. In a timely manner, but smooth. This will keep you front wheel from locking when braking or/and trail braking. If the front wheels don't lock or skip as much you will have less understeer. As for the oversteer try rocking the wheel to maintain grip and be on the throttle as much as possible without running the front end out to the sand. Keep the chassis loaded with torque from the engine as often as possible, but with out grinding them. If this is something you do already you might try tuning the dampers a bit with VHPA. Don't go to far with tuning sets though.

GOOD LUCK!\\
Jay

I'm sorry, I was speaking of the XRG instead of the XFG Yeah, I do blip on downshifts (it's fun and efficient, so ) and my downshifting is acceptable. What surprises me is that I made a set of sets keeping the same pattern for different tracks, and I can do quite well in game, but this corner is like the only corner I can't get good (However, I can get it in rev, without much problem).
Because I think going in BL1 this corners should be a late apex one, to carry enough momentum. The only thing is that I find that the radius is lower at the end of this corner. In that case, I have some problems to get it right, because I aim for a late apex (otherwise, I just go in too early :shrug.
I think my line is the main problem. I can not really find the entry point, the appropriate speed, and the apex for this corner, now matter how hard I watched WR replays
I think a lot of it has to do with peoples familiarity with it.
as much as people like and want new content, Nothing like a track and car you know like the back of your hand.

Plus, Blackwood Reverse make my pants tight...
Shame CTRA decided to take it off their rotation of maps on the Race 1 server, with the excuse being some crap about yellow flags not working propperly.

No-one cares, just get the damn track
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Shame CTRA decided to take it off their rotation of maps on the Race 1 server, with the excuse being some crap about yellow flags not working propperly.

No-one cares, just get the damn track

I think it is because it has accessible from demo (Unless they put a cone somewhere in the pitway :shrug
Idk about that. I could swear I heard because of yellow flags not working propperly.

Besides, BL1 is accessible from demo, and that's on there, so why not BL1r?
It's down to Blackwood causing fake yellows which would affect the CTRA stats.
I think it's just a case of familiarity.. For most people at least it is probably the combo they are most competant on due to having driven it on the Demo before getting an S2 license.

I have to say though that my tin top is the UF-BR. It's also the one I'm consistantly most competitive in on, (relatively speaking). Which I guess says a lot about my driving ability, ie underpowered car with load of grip.
I find nose to tail racing in XFG very rewarding.
When you're so close with your front bumper to opponents rear bumper in corner (let's say under 10cm) and you live thru all this from cockpit camera witch really gives some special feeling when you have this situation in XFG it's so rewarding.
This situations on good old Blackwood has special feeling, since corners aren't too fast, nor too slow they're just perfect and the tracks is perfectly wide too

Also Blackwood is in demo for ages and XFG and XRG are demo cars. Now let's forget that XFG is easier to drive, just try to live thru the same nose to tail situation but from XRG. Naaaah it's not the same. And there's no signs of those small understeer nose skips in this situation witch just put you even closer, instead your rear end just skips away and yet that's wrong too, it's sloppy, havy and puts the joy of nose to tail racing away. On other side same cockpit, but in XRT is 10x more rewarding then in XRG or even XFG.

Door to door racing is also great on this combo. Trying to hold on around outside with those poor tires can be very challenging
Quote from N I K I :just try to live thru the same nose to tail situation but from XRG. Naaaah it's not the same.

If we're going to play XF vs XR, the latter lacks the snappy feeling. Not only the XF is more straightforward to drive, but faster through the corners and the high revving engine sounds and feels more sporty than the XR.

Don't get me wrong, I like the XR but it felt like a boat rather then a car for quite some time... I've started to develop a relationship with the thing just recently
Quote from NightShift :If we're going to play XF vs XR, the latter lacks the snappy feeling. Not only the XF is more straightforward to drive, but faster through the corners and the high revving engine sounds and feels more sporty than the XR.

Don't get me wrong, I like the XR but it felt like a boat rather then a car for quite some time... I've started to develop a relationship with the thing just recently

XRG can goe faster in corners if u try u gotta let it drift a lil bit
No matter what you do, ultimate cornering speed in the XRG will be lower than the XFG.

On faster tracks with less slower bends (where the speed difference is more noticable), for example on SO Classic or Blackwood, the XRG will be faster, because of it's much faster acceleration and top speed. On a more twisty track, or ones with more slower corners, the XFG can get it's power down better.

The XFG is an easy car to drive. Therefore, to be very good in the XFG, it's much harder than that.

The XRG is much more of an aquired skill, with some people naturally taking to it more than others. Tbh alot of it is just a feel for the cars in LFS in general.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I'm somewhat of a self proclaimed XFG master. (By that I mean 95% of my PB's are within 0.5 of a second of the WR on any of the road combos used on the CTRA Race1 server, and my normal racing pace within 0.3 of a second of any of those), and the only track I struggle at is Blackwood.

If your that good you might aswell put your XFG prowess to the test & join the 60 laps OLFSL race this Sunday, it's sure to sort the men from the boys.

BL1 XFG/XRG 60 Laps Race - thisSunday
Quote from Me :I'm somewhat of a self proclaimed XFG master. (By that I mean 95% of my PB's are within 0.5 of a second of the WR on any of the road combos used on the CTRA Race1 server, and my normal racing pace within 0.3 of a second of any of those), and the only track I struggle at is Blackwood.

Thanks for the invite, but next time, read what I wrote
Guess he was sort of challenging you to get better
I suck at BL1. I've done like 600 laps to try and improve but I just can't get it.
No matter what car I drive on Blackwood, no matter what version of LFS it was (from the old S1 to the public S2 versions), the track is always a thrill. There's something about this track that keeps me err, coming for more.
Quote from NightShift :If we're going to play XF vs XR, the latter lacks the snappy feeling. Not only the XF is more straightforward to drive, but faster through the corners and the high revving engine sounds and feels more sporty than the XR.

Pretty much sums up my feelings for the two cars, except the "I like the XR" bit. I hate it, and for exactly the reason you stated. It just wallows all over the place, understeers in to a corner and then wants to swing its rear around no matter what kind of throttle you have mid corner. I once made a joke about having to use a jib and tiller to drive the thing and nothing has changed my mind about it since.
Quote from gezmoor :nothing has changed my mind about it since.

For me it was likely a matter of putting some time on it, in an occasional and non committed fashion. I put my expectations aside and tried to avoid overdriving it, especially on corner entry, which is quite easy if you're used to the XF: the XR is heavier and has slim tyres (if there was no need for balancing them in the STD class, the XR would likely be more pleasant)

Most sets for the XF I've seen are rather tail happy even when stepping on the gas, but in a way that can be controlled with the steer only, while the XR likes to be turned part with the wheel and part with the throttle.

I'm still slower with the XR, but it's rewarding when you start getting the hang of it
Quote from NightShift :the XR likes to be turned part with the wheel and part with the throttle.

very true XR needs throttle control and steering control but it still is a very soft car like its suposed 2 be a luxury car or something i really dont no how ppl can get 32.9x with it its astonashing
i think the only reason is that everyone can't have a s2,but they love lfs too.....

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG