The online racing simulator
Back to square one - car related
(13 posts, started )
#1 - aoun
I remember not long a go i posted a thread about looking for a car.

Now the time has come to buy a car.. say by next week or next 2 weeks. Ive narrowed down alot, my budget has come down alot and ive noticed i am a picky b*tch! I just thought id come here again just to get some ideas of cars. I dont know what car would be best for my budget and limits etc. If people could throw afew cars at me, id appreciate it .

Limits:

Im a "P Plater" so i cant drive:

-Turbocharged cars
-Supercharged
-v8 +

Budget:

$15,000 AUD
$18,000 USD <---very shocked
7,900 EURO
6,300 GBP

Interests:

Something all-round. Something with decent handling, decent speed, decent acceleration, decent performance. Not the best, clearly because my licence stage, but the best to find for the budget without turbos etc. Ive looked at some Subaru RX, Celica, and afew others, but just need some opinions.

You're in Oz, you don't need a car, you need a Toyota HiLux! A 1984 model with solid axle front end, 22R motor, TruTrac locker in the front and ARB air locker in the rear. Stick a Marlin Crawler dual transfer case in it with 4.70 gears and 4.88 gears in the diffs. A 4 inch suspension lift with Rancho RS5000 shocks and 33 inch mud tires.

Ah, well, you probably live in the city, huh? I guess not all of Oz is the outback....
subaru 2.5 rx should do it,or a bmw 328(e36 of course,e46's are POS)
i also like subi wagens,they r sexy
#4 - aoun
Quote from mrodgers :You're in Oz, you don't need a car, you need a Toyota HiLux! A 1984 model with solid axle front end, 22R motor, TruTrac locker in the front and ARB air locker in the rear. Stick a Marlin Crawler dual transfer case in it with 4.70 gears and 4.88 gears in the diffs. A 4 inch suspension lift with Rancho RS5000 shocks and 33 inch mud tires.

Ah, well, you probably live in the city, huh? I guess not all of Oz is the outback....

ROFL good one mate!

@mustang

Im driving a 320i 02 model bmw now, i need something quicker!

Ive found a car now though,

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls ... nquiry?vehicle_id=6016081

Its a falcon ive always wanted, that style and everything. But just have to wait and see if i get a reply or get to see the car.
You could get a Toyota soarer jzz31

Uses a N/A 2jzge engine.
The soarer is pretty much a Luxury/Sport car mix, and the baby brother of the Supra.
They also come in a 1jzgte twin turbo a 1uzfe N/a V8.

The 2jzge will obviously have less "poke" than the above..but it still has the luxuries, and they look rather nice too.

Could probably pick a neat one up for 10k, maybe less.

Edit: better than any ford...i'll tell you that >_>
If you are looking for something thats rock solid, and don't mind the squareness of it. Older volvos seem to be pretty decent cars. The newer ones are crap though, the computers have serious issues.

But if you get something like a 240 or a variant of, they arn't the quickest, but it'll last if you maintain it. They are the most common car I see lately because the 240 is like a tank, some say they are the best cars ever made for reliability. They also have fairly decent fuel economy.
lol I thought i was the only one to hate new volvos. I drove a 2007 model and I felt like I was driving a laggy PC.

Anyway I suggest a luxery Mercedes. Older ones can be found for pretty cheap.
From my experiance older mercedes have some odd handeling characteristics. That could have been just the car I drove, but I don't know. I drove an 88' Benz, not sure what model. It was red with grey accents and had lowering spring installed.

They may be cheap to purchase, but how is the insurance where he is?
Over here, insurance can go up just because you have a luxery car.
Quote from DragonCommando :From my experiance older mercedes have some odd handeling characteristics. That could have been just the car I drove, but I don't know. I drove an 88' Benz, not sure what model. It was red with grey accents and had lowering spring installed.

I really wouldn't make any judgments based on this particular car given you said it had lowering springs installed... You can completely mess up the ride and handling by changing the springs if you don't know what you're doing, or if the people selling the springs didn't know what they were doing... Sometimes lowering springs focus purely on getting the car lower without too much concern for how it will affect the handling.
E46 330i.
So you can't get a diesel kia rio then, thats stupid just cause it has a 4psi turbo :P

Buy a turbo car then take the turbo out till u can use it.
Quote from e2mustang :subaru 2.5 rx should do it,or a bmw 328(e36 of course,e46's are POS)
i also like subi wagens,they r sexy

You seem to think exactly like my brother considering the e36/46s. He too has one, considers the e46s awful and just prefers the e36. The one he's got is in arktissilber and rust

For 18,000 USD, though, you can easily get a perfect e36 and most likely an e46, though I guess it isn't recommended.
Quote from boosterfire :You seem to think exactly like my brother considering the e36/46s. He too has one, considers the e46s awful and just prefers the e36. The one he's got is in arktissilber and rust

For 18,000 USD, though, you can easily get a perfect e36 and most likely an e46, though I guess it isn't recommended.

Well i work on them so i know the difference,as i see the best bmw ever made was e30,34,36,39 the others are not so great i chose myself the e36 mpower

@aoun: yes u have a 320,well a 325 or 28 will be much faster,if you want to keep the budget the lower side,those are perfect imo

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG