The online racing simulator
Re downloadig
(16 posts, started )
Re downloadig
Hi All
I have had to clear my pc back to the factory settings,now though I can find LFS and eventually bring up the control settings and apparently assign them, none of them work,and my attempts to re download using a US mirror link results in continued request for my User and PW overagain. Sure do miss LFS
Thanks for any help
Ron(Old Timer)
#2 - amp88
Are you using links from this page?
I just started a DL over the top of what is on my pc from your link using the US 500mirror link I,ll post the result,thank a lot for your quick response,this forum and in generalLFS are great
Ron(OldTimer)
No luck ,it d/l ok and replaced the existing but when I tried to run,a box came up headed >could not write to data folder> in the box was>is LFS correctly installed on a hard drive?I'm not sure where to go from here!!
#5 - amp88
Quote from Old Timer :No luck ,it d/l ok and replaced the existing but when I tried to run,a box came up headed >could not write to data folder> in the box was>is LFS correctly installed on a hard drive?I'm not sure where to go from here!!

From that error message ("Could not write to data folder") it suggests to me that the LFS program does not have access to write to your hard drive. This could happen if, for example, you had Windows Vista and LFS was installed in an area where you would need to provide administrator access for it to write. You could try right clicking on the LFS shortcut and clicking on "Run as administrator". If you do not have Windows Vista could you please reply with which operating system you have and to where you've installed LFS (e.g. C:/Program Files/Live For Speed).
Hi Again ,I have vista,I run as admin,this is the wierd bit ,its in>ProgramFiles Users\Ron\Downloads. whereI can run it and all the graphic are there,I can get to the start line but the only thing that works is the tach,no sound ,no controls ,I don't know how it got in that file or how to move it!!
#7 - amp88
Unlike a lot of other programs Live For Speed is just unzipped rather than being physically installed. What will have happened is you've downloaded it (which will put it in your Downloads folder) then when you've run it it will have automatically unzipped to the same folder because you didn't specify a different one. If that's correct then your LFS folder should be found under:

C:/Users/Ron/Downloads

Go to Start -> Computer and follow the path above.

I can't remember if it will have unzipped to a folder of its own or if all of the LFS files will be sitting in that folder along with any other downloads. To move LFS you can just move all of the files you unzipped to somewhere else (it doesn't write anything to the registry so it can be moved easily). When you run it are you still getting the error you indicated in the previous post ("Could not write to data folder") or is it loading without any errors?
I just got to the unlock LFS page which I hadn't tried before but now it won't accept my password which I've been using all along. since I got LFS in Sept .Any way I'm going to bed,don't you sleep in glasgow any more,Thanks for now.
Ron(oldtimer)
Since you've already got LFS to load, I'm sure it's a non-issue, but I'd remind it's absolutely crucial to extract it before it'll work properly. Safest way to do it right is to create an LFS folder, copy the downloaded file to it and then right-click the file, and finally select the option to extract all (which may vary between versions of Windows).

You have two different passwords, WEBpassword and GAMEpassword. The one you use to login to these forums and LFS World is the WEBpassword, and you can't unlock with it.

If your GAMEpassword doesn't work for some reason, go to http://www.lfs.net/ and login with the WEBpassword. Click on 'Account Details' and create a new GAMEpassword.
Hi Pringles and thanks
The unlock worked fine,but can't race yet Now I have to sort out the controls,I seem to have all the settings ok(seperate for brake and throttle etc) but no matter what, they go to the same axis and behave erraticly,I only just got steering to work ,no shift yet, I have a Momo wheel and on the initial instals both it and LFS ran perfectly,once again I'm looking for help!
Thanks to All
Ron(OldTimer)
You could try the post below. I think I got the assigning of axes a bit wonky, but that's the general idea. Apologies if the images don't show. Ever since my free (note to self: l2pay) host got hacked my site's been going up and down randomly.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=718272#post718272
Well,I'm making progress,I went into Logitech and d/l the latest drivers then went into profile,I seem to have everthing going but the gearshift,it shows assigned button # in set up but doesn't respond in the car,but car shifts in auto mode,I never tried it before ,kinda fun and a learnig exercise,but I'd like option of manual.
Anyway thanks all for the kind help.
If you press shift + G while you're in the pits you'll cycle through the shift modes. It sounds like you're on auto at the moment and you want sequential. Press shift + G and you'll see an information message at the top left telling you which mode you're in.
Hi again
For whatever reason shift+ G doesn't work ,in auto the 1gear works with the paddle after that auto overides the manual. Tomorrow I;ll look around the logitech profile for a fix,I did look briefly but didn;t figure anything out any more ideas are very welcome
Thanks
Success at last!the gearshift problem was "The auto clutch was set atNO" clicked on yes,ran the game,it was perfect ,the MOMO as well! Simple eh! it has been a good learning experience,especially the value of the auto shift and the line indicater which should improve my driving with man shift.Well guys,thanks so much for the international help,hope to see you on the track ,so its "Off to the Races"
What a great Forum

Ron(Old Timer)
Ah, I hadn't thought about the auto clutch. Well, at least you've got it working now. Good luck and see you on track

Re downloadig
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG