The online racing simulator
lfs on ps3
(22 posts, started )
lfs on ps3
hi,
i was just thinking if i could install linux on my ps3 which is possible could i play lfs and other games anyone else tried this? or is it possible i would like to try this.
thanks in advance
Quote from brt900 :hi,
i was just thinking if i could install linux on my ps3 which is possible could i play lfs and other games anyone else tried this? or is it possible i would like to try this.
thanks in advance

not sure, but wine can help you.
Again, NOT SURE!!
#3 - Jakg
No it won't work - search for a thread already on this.
#4 - Migz
Ive Tried This Xd!
With wine it doesnt work, god knows why (aka cant remember)
So i tried using some programme that like emulates OS's. I Then installed windows 98 as this is probably the highest OS you could get on the ps3 before it starts to fail with lag.
I then tried to run Lfs and it didnt work first time around because i didnt have direct X installed, upon installing it it then just wouldnt work. I can get the Lfs Host thingy to work though So you could use it as a server, but i could work out how to get internet working within Windows 98, in Linux it was fine :/

With a bit more tinkling im sure i could get the server working, and if i ever managed to get back around to trying it again i could possibly get lfs working, would be a crappy framerate probably.
and?....result??
#6 - Migz
Quote from Scrabby :and?....result??

I was just marking my territory first making sure no one comes in and says what i was going to say.
Then i edited it with the result Look up.
AFAIK the problem with running any games on a emulated OS is that it can only use one of the five Cell cores (I have no idea if someone already modified Linux to run on more), and one on his own is just too slow
WINE: Different architecture (PPC vs x86) The code simply won't run.
Emulators: Simply too slow to emulate both a processor and a 3D card (in fact, 3D acceleration hasn't even been started in emulators). Maybe if someone works out how to use all the cores of the Cell on the PS3 then it would be possible. The emulation would have to be *really* good, however.
#9 - Migz
But i dont think it is curerntly possible to use more then one core due to the hypervisor on the PS3 :/
ok thanks guys thats a downer because this computer runs at like 20 fps when i play with friends and its useless and doesnt feel right with g25 but thanks for quick replies
Wine is Open Source, isn't it possible to rebuild it on PS3?
#12 - Migz
Quote from brt900 :ok thanks guys thats a downer because this computer runs at like 20 fps when i play with friends and its useless and doesnt feel right with g25 but thanks for quick replies

Just kill all unnecesary processes.
And run lfs on low graphics.

If that doesnt help much perhaps think about upgrading part of your comp? Whatever is worst in it. If your machine is as old as mine a simple £40 new graphics card could boost your FPS by loads lol, shame i dont have that £40 for myself though.
Quote from Shadowww :Wine is Open Source, isn't it possible to rebuild it on PS3?

As I said, differing architectures. Wine Is Not an Emulator. It merely translates system calls. So no, it wouldn't work
Quote from JohnUK89 :WINE: Different architecture (PPC vs x86) The code simply won't run.
Emulators: Simply too slow to emulate both a processor and a 3D card (in fact, 3D acceleration hasn't even been started in emulators). Maybe if someone works out how to use all the cores of the Cell on the PS3 then it would be possible. The emulation would have to be *really* good, however.

John, I've tried to explain this differing architectures concept to the forum.

Safe to say: The sheep can't get it through their wool.
LFS won't run properly on Wine, even on my main PC. It has graphical problems all over the shop (white areas and random boxes), and when you load a track it just crashes. And linux on the PS3 runs about 10x slower than linux on my PC anyway
Quote from dougie-lampkin :LFS won't run properly on Wine, even on my main PC.

I've not had a problem running LFS in Wine. (Ubuntu Intrepid, Wine 1.0.1) With low graphics settings, frame rates are decent rather than spectacular, but I am running pretty low-end hardware. Can't say whether running it in Windows on this box would be any improvement, but I don't expect so.

As has already been made clear anyway, Wine on a PS3 could never be an option, no matter how well or otherwise it runs Linux.
I went to internet explorer on the PS3, then went to LFS.net to download it, but only one prob: I press the download bar, nothing happens. If only I could play it on the PS3 too... it is way more powerful than my PC. Only in terms of graphics/gaming though.
Quote from Furiously-Fast :I went to internet explorer on the PS3, then went to LFS.net to download it, but only one prob: I press the download bar, nothing happens. If only I could play it on the PS3 too... it is way more powerful than my PC. Only in terms of graphics/gaming though.

As has been previously said it will not work. You're wasting your time trying.
Quote from JohnUK89 :As has been previously said it will not work. You're wasting your time trying.

I wish it would have worked. I didn't read this thread before I made an attempt to d/l LFS. (tried ages ago....)
Quote from Furiously-Fast :I went to internet explorer on the PS3, then went to LFS.net to download it, but only one prob: I press the download bar, nothing happens. If only I could play it on the PS3 too... it is way more powerful than my PC. Only in terms of graphics/gaming though.

Why internet explorer? Firefox runs natively on linux.
#21 - Migz
He probably doesnt mean internet explorer, he probably just means an internet broswer.
And he probably doesnt have linux installed, he probably went onto the internet browser that comes with the ps3

Alot of probabilities here.
-
(Furiously-Fast) DELETED by Furiously-Fast
If he used Fedora (which seems to be the norm for most people, unless you like that yucky Yellow Dog *shudder*) it comes with Firefox. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure Yellow Dog would too

lfs on ps3
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG