The online racing simulator
American racing support...
(34 posts, started )
Quote from Forbin :There are plenty of Americans who can't stand NASCAR and oval racing in general. I am one of them.

There's also plenty of people outside of America (or American culture) who are not snobbish enough to enjoy, race and or watch NASCAR or oval racing in general. I am one of them.
...From what I've seen online, there are plenty of people *worldwide* that like to purposely cause accidents - "wreckers" I believe they're called. Adding demolition derby tracks (e.g. figure eight, arena) and cars (including a dynamic skin rendering feature that would simulate damage to the car's body) might dramatically decrease the problem while providing a place for such folks to happily indulge in their mayhem...another feature we won't see in LFS anytime soon...any other opinions on this? - Grampa
Lizard, whilst NASCAR is not so good for TV it would be great for LFS.

Quote from GrampaD :...From what I've seen online, there are plenty of people *worldwide* that like to purposely cause accidents - "wreckers" I believe they're called.

Plenty is an exaggeration, but there are wreckers and they exist in practically all sims. Supposedly compared to GTR2 it's easier to ban them in LFS due to the licence system.

Quote :Adding demolition derby tracks (e.g. figure eight, arena) and cars (including a dynamic skin rendering feature that would simulate damage to the car's body) might dramatically decrease the problem while providing a place for such folks to happily indulge in their mayhem...another feature we won't see in LFS anytime soon...any other opinions on this? - Grampa

My knowledge of demolition derby is limited to watching a Louis Theroux documentary and something on ITV4, but it's last thing moving wins? We don't have anything exactly like that in the UK but there is something similar.

Banger racing is basically full contact racing on dirt circuits. It's got nothing to do with the MSA. I don't think it would fit in to the spirit of LFS but as an idea it's certainly interesting.
Quote from GrampaD :...From what I've seen online, there are plenty of people *worldwide* that like to purposely cause accidents - "wreckers" I believe they're called. Adding demolition derby tracks (e.g. figure eight, arena) and cars (including a dynamic skin rendering feature that would simulate damage to the car's body) might dramatically decrease the problem while providing a place for such folks to happily indulge in their mayhem...another feature we won't see in LFS anytime soon...any other opinions on this? - Grampa

I think the wrecker problem or the existence of that problem depends a lot who you race with and where. If you pick any server from the good named LFS teams you are guaranteed to have fun but it all depends a lot what kind of pace you can do on the track. Sometimes you need to get within few seconds of wr times consistently for good close racing. The ctra servers are always crowded too and I'd look there for getting started and generally having a good race.

I don't think that we'd need figure of 8 tracks and like that, we can already organize these kind of no-rules events on normal race tracks

Generally I'd see that the wrecker problem is because of two things. People who have no idea and people who want to "be seen". I don't think there is no other solution for these two people than education, learning the rules and etiquettes in safe environment and getting rid of the ones who do not want to learn.

I defenately recommend getting a wheel and pedals, even G25 or the fanatec wheel if you are serious about sim racing. Just because LFS is kinda fading away for the ones who have been racing for longer times it is still very good sim for anyone new to LFS. There is lot of enjoyment to be had with LFS even if the actual development may not be what one might want

There are of course other good sims too, rfactor is one other sim that has a lot more content, loads of tracks and cars with very variable quality. Then there is iracing but if I was you I'd keep racing LFS for the next few months, learning the racy stuff. Once you feel like advancing, I'd recommend iracing. iracing is a lot more expensive and you generally get much less racing for time and money invested. It's the best sim as well but its drawbacks won't really make it the sim to start with imho . Anyways, welcome to LFS and welcome to lfs forums
Quote from Hyperactive :
There are of course other good sims too, rfactor is one other sim that has a lot more content, loads of tracks and cars with very variable quality. Then there is iracing but if I was you I'd keep racing LFS for the next few months, learning the racy stuff. Once you feel like advancing, I'd recommend iracing. iracing is a lot more expensive and you generally get much less racing for time and money invested. It's the best sim as well but its drawbacks won't really make it the sim to start with imho . Anyways, welcome to LFS and welcome to lfs forums

Couldn't agree more.... Welcome to LFS! You wont find another PC based driving game with as nice and robust a community as this one!
#31 - Gunn
Quote from GrampaD :.... a huge development megacorp like EA will have already released a general-purpose racing simulation engine that will support all vehicles (cars, motorcycles, bicycles) and all tracks, fully support modding, and all the data will be in a database.

It is highly unlikely that EA will ever release anything that can even vaguely be called a simulator. Perhaps some other company, but not EA.

Many of us aren't fussed about modding LFS anyway, seeing what it has done to other racing games. But opinions do vary and there doesn't seem to be a majority in either camp.
Quote from Hyperactive :Just because LFS is kinda fading away for the ones who have been racing for longer times it is still very good sim for anyone new to LFS.

...If LFS is fading away...I'm curious to know as to what is the most popular sim that is taking its place...? - Thanx in advance for your opinion, Grampa
Quote from GrampaD :...If LFS is fading away...I'm curious to know as to what is the most popular sim that is taking its place...? - Thanx in advance for your opinion, Grampa

It was really meant to mean that LFS is fading away for those who have already played it for long time. Very little new stuff gets released very slowly which means that for the "veterans" LFS is dying. But that's really my personal opinion.

As for other sims taking the place, there really is no direct competitor in this sense. Netkar is just too little and unorganized, rfactor has it's aim on different things and iracing is different concept.
I testify that LFS is a whole new game once you can get your hands on a decent wheel. I didn't realise that force feedback would make much of a difference but it actually makes all the difference- feels almost like I'm starting LFS over from scratch, which is wonderful.

Yes, development is slow. As other have said- you shouldn't build up too many expectations or hopes about when certain features may arrive. Development is ongoing of course, but it will take a while before modding for instance, is possible- and it may just as likely never come. LFS is an infectious and deep sim though, you're bound to get a lot out of it.

American racing support...
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG