The online racing simulator
Proper Automatic Gearbox
(16 posts, started )
Proper Automatic Gearbox
This is one thing that really annoys me.

No game has what im looking for and that's a real automatic gearbox with a stall and the shifting type. I mean even a stall added to the gearbox and some shift points based on how much throttle you are giving the car would be awesome. Like a real automatic car.

Would be really good for drag, and would add to the overall realism of the game.
tbh to have an automatic gearbox and to simulate an auto box you need to simulate the torque conveter and to model one acuratly as i understand it is hard enough
Quote from james12s :tbh to have an automatic gearbox and to simulate an auto box you need to simulate the torque conveter and to model one acuratly as i understand it is hard enough

Well i mean with that said, They are making a race simulator to mimic real physics so that's pretty hard

:P
yh but there is more important things to spend the time on, im not saying it wouldnt be good to have, it would, although only really for drag, but it is not needed as much as alot of other things and has limited aplication
Actually, you don't need to.

All you need to do is to simulate clutch slip, if you burn your clutch to around 1/3, it'll drive like an automatic without wrecking performance. Obviously it's not as fast as a manual, but then that should be the pay-off.

Automatic = Easier to drive
Manual = Faster.

There was a game that had this, but I cannot remember what, it was quite a long time ago. 'Might' have been Enthusia.
Quote from james12s :to simulate an auto box you need to simulate the torque conveter and to model one acuratly as i understand it is hard enough

Yes, many automatics use torque converters, but I don't see one of those being much more difficult to model than a clutch.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Automatic = Easier to drive
Manual = Faster.

In most drag applications, an auto is used. If you have a well built auto it will be faster than any manual.
yes and no, to model basicly then yes i cant see it being to hard but to model it properly then i can see it being quite time consuming. but then i dont know much about game programming lol.

i think it is possibly something for the future, not right now if you get what im saying.
Quote from pedrotski :
In most drag applications, an auto is used. If you have a well built auto it will be faster than any manual.

But no-one cares about drag racing in LFS, unless you're a demo user

I was talking about racing in general
Quote from S14 DRIFT :But no-one cares about drag racing in LFS, unless you're a demo user

I was talking about racing in general

I obviously care about drag racing. I don't even play S2 online anymore. When you have been playing since S1A, It kinda gets repetitive. LFS Tweak keeps me playing
i'm suprised the cruisers don't want autos so they can nana around in xfg's all day
Quote from pedrotski :I obviously care about drag racing. I don't even play S2 online anymore. When you have been playing since S1A, It kinda gets repetitive. LFS Tweak keeps me playing

true
i want an proper a/t transmission too cus i drive taxi everyday and think it is nice to drive with
Modeling a torque converter shoulden't be to hard, they arn't all that complicated.

There's actualy one game I know of that already simulates automatic transmissions realy well. It's called SODA Off Road Racing. Its pretty old and doesn't run well on new systems.

But it simulated everything including creep. You actualy had to hold the brake to keep the vehicle from moving. Taking off from a stand still was almost like doing it in a real car with an A/T.
So will anything be happening with this?

I think it would be a good thing to enter into the game with adjustable stall speeds

If it is in the game people would use it. Also make the demo drivers use automatic gearboxes so they have to buy the game to use manual
there is an insim application that simulates an automatic gearbox, never tried it, but it's better than nothing if you're really hard up for replacing the lfs auto-gears setting.

Proper Automatic Gearbox
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG