The online racing simulator
Do we become more technophobic as we get older?
Or is it just me getting dumber......

It seems as I get older and older, I am struggling with new tech, be it software or hardware, I remember never even having to look at a manual, now I struggle unless I read the damn thing cover to cover.

I have visions of me becoming like one of those old codgers that can't even set the VCR timer
As I get older my house gets more and more technology. I'm up to four PCs now, and as many of the other devices as possible can communicate with each other (which is the coolest thing). It's awesome.

I dread to think what my house will be like in 20 years time.
Not intimidated by technology but for the past years I've been drastically cutting down my gadget and consumer electronics intake simple because most of the stuff on the market is either complete shit wrapped in an aluminum shell or stuff that I do not actually want or need and have no interested in digital dick waving.
#4 - Danke
As I get older, I'll probably need more technology - pacemaker, dialysis, iron lung...
I think when we're old (No, I'm 31, so NOT old :-)) we'll have computers, mobiles, pnas, all the stuff, and we'll be fine with them since we've grown up with them. But I also believe there will be new kinds of technologies coming up (no, we'll not have star trek tech), new logical ways of combining and (not) plugging devices,...... These might be the stuff our nightmares are made of... and our kids will have no problems using them, because they've grown up using them :-)

greetz

der butz
"I remember when we had to carry our music around on portable devices, none of this 'streaming it directly to your brain' rubbish..."
Technology is great, if you can use it.........

There must be something genetic about getting older and becoming less dependent / bothered / able to use, technology.
Quote from Crashgate3 :"I remember when we had to carry our music around on portable devices, none of this 'streaming it directly to your brain' rubbish..."

:ices_rofl

I wouldn't be surprised if our kids will, in fact, one day be able to stream data directly to their brain

Technology, the beast... and so on.
The new generation technology such as mobile phones and mp3 players, I just can't quite get into. People in my course actually looked at me weird when I said I didn't have an I-pod.

I might sound snobby, but mp3 is shit quality, even if it affords you that portability (M4a is actually pretty good though). I hate mobiles because I can never hear the person on the other end, and it costs me a small fortune for a service I never use.
#10 - wien
Me too. I absolutely adore tech and engineering in general, but phones and media players are just boring. They're currently doing what my computer did a decade ago, just smaller and more fiddly. Whoopdee-doo.

But on topic, I guess this is like with everything else. As you grow older your brain gets "set" in a certain routine, and if you don't put effort in to break this routine every once in a while, learning new tricks gets harder and harder.

Nothing wrong with that of course, but if you don't really want to get left behind, exploring new and unfamiliar technology is a good way to exercise your brain. Perhaps start playing with an unfamiliar OS on an old discarded box? Try (and fail, repeatedly) to set up a home server with file storage and automated backup for instance?
Quote :none of this 'streaming it directly to your brain' rubbish..."

Probably wouldn't sound like much anyway
Well considering Robots will one day take over the world, yes.

#13 - SamH
I've definitely peaked, gadget-wise. I blame the dotcom actually, and the advent of mobile/cellphones. The combination of these two new technologies caused me to begin to suffer from the recently defined syndrome known as cascading hierarchical-menu-myopia.

The bastards pop up, slide out, drop down, fade in.. they're red, green, white, bevelled, embossed, blurred, onclicked, onmousovered, onloaded..onbefore-freakin-deactivated!!! I just can't be fecked learning new menu systems, whether it's a new phone, a router, an OS, a new website, stereo.. bloody CAMERA!.. PIGGIN' COOKER!! It's not even a goddamned MICROWAVE and it's got more buttons on it than Apollo 13!!!... I'm burned out. I want my simple, key-combination, CP/M and DOS oriented life back. NOW!
Quote from SamH :I've definitely peaked, gadget-wise. I blame the dotcom actually, and the advent of mobile/cellphones. The combination of these two new technologies caused me to begin to suffer from the recently defined syndrome known as cascading hierarchical-menu-myopia.

The bastards pop up, slide out, drop down, fade in.. they're red, green, white, bevelled, embossed, blurred, onclicked, onmousovered, onloaded..onbefore-freakin-deactivated!!! I just can't be fecked learning new menu systems, whether it's a new phone, a router, an OS, a new website, stereo.. bloody CAMERA!.. PIGGIN' COOKER!! It's not even a goddamned MICROWAVE and it's got more buttons on it than Apollo 13!!!... I'm burned out. I want my simple, key-combination, CP/M and DOS oriented life back. NOW!

LMAO, sounds like me Sam, it's certainly when you hit a "certain age" that it kicks in.
#15 - CSU1
Old Bastards
I miss my old vinyl records.
#18 - Jakg
Quote from Toddshooter :I miss my old vinyl records.

LOL - I got sent a Vinyl of Keane's "Spiralling" single the other day and realised I don't have any way of playing the sodding thing!
I've got an old 1940's or 50's Turntable with a beautiful cabinet. But I can't be troubled to fix the bloody thing and get it working. + When my kids were younger they played frisbee in the basement with my records
Quote from SamH :I've definitely peaked, gadget-wise. I blame the dotcom actually, and the advent of mobile/cellphones. The combination of these two new technologies caused me to begin to suffer from the recently defined syndrome known as cascading hierarchical-menu-myopia.

/methinks you need a cookie and a cup of cocoa
theres a saying that anything invented before youre 18 is just part of normality anthing before youre 30 is new and exciting and anything invented past your 30s is the work of the devil
Quote from Shotglass :theres a saying that anything invented before youre 18 is just part of normality anthing before youre 30 is new and exciting and anything invented past your 30s is the work of the devil

Then that saying is not said very much since I've never heard of it. I'm not quite old enough to really tell, but I think its quite possible. I'm not into this cellphone should carry music, videos, camera, photos, text people, play games and the billions of other uses... A phone is to call and communicate with another, that is all.

However besides the cellphone becoming todays mobile computer I don't think anything has really changed in the last ~10 years of my life really. I'm quite young compared to some folks around here (23) but within the last 10years a computer is still a computer. Light years faster, used slightly different but still the concept of computing hasn't really changed. Same with everything really. The only way I can truly judge if I will be technophobic as I get older is when I see a true new technology come. Such as robotic transportation for the masses... Or something of the such, maybe all TVs and Monitors as we know it breaks into the 3D world of holograms and such. This would actually be a new way of viewing things and could possibly 'scare' someone not used to the technologies at work...
I've stopped being interested in what devices do and how they do it, i've less questions about technology than I used to have. Nowadays I just want it to work and I want it to do so in a way that suites my way of thinking. I can sum it up with 1 device: I can't get on with mobile phones, so I got an iPhone because the interface is easy and it's zero hassle and I know damned well that i'm getting stung on the contract and I just dont care - it's worth paying more just for the ease of not having to sit down and master it.
On behalf of the senior generation...SOME of us geriatrics can still use a microwave and a DVD recorder!

Biggest problem is..as you get older you have more stuff to feel nostalgic about..which can be mistaken for being a technophobe.
Prime example....music was MUCH better in the seventies than it is today!
(Aaahhhh, nostalgia ain't what it used to be!)

Bladeys latest project...
I decided..I am going to raid the storage cupboard and build a Pentium 2 based 'puter with a Soundblaster card and twin Voodoos..a massive 256Mb RAM and a 8Gb harddrive, sling in Windoze 98, and play Quake!!!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG