The online racing simulator
You know who ...
(25 posts, started )
You know who ...
... doesn't seem to get nearly as much credit as he deserves? Eric Bailey. The art assets in LFS S2 are truly exceptional. His models are outstanding, the artwork is superb and the design and layout of the tracks is excellent. Not only is his work highly detailed -- even in places you hardly even notice during a race -- and very clean, it's also surprisingly frame rate friendly. A rare accomplishment.

My hat is off to you, Eric.
Indeed you're right about that.

Probably one of the reasons he's not mentioned a whole lot is because he's pretty quiet, I guess he doesn't enjoy the public eye too much.

But you're right, he deserves lots & lots of credit!
Yea, much respect Eric. Nice work man.
I completely agree with you. LFS looks better than many other sims, almost all of which have a whole team of people doing the work that Eric does alone.

Here's to Eric! We can't wait to see what you have in store for us next!
very much agreed

some people say LFS doesnt look right, but IMO, other games dont look right!

i really like the style of the LFS graphics, you dont need all the fancy special effects to get a completely believable and immersice car/track/environment.

i would say one of the strange things about LFS which you dont really get with other racers is that as well as looking forward to the new content and graphics updates, we also look forward to detailed and minute adjustments of the physics and game code that affect our gameplay.

eric does such good work that everytime we saw new screenshots before S2 alpha came out we were like....omg omg. such improvements show the true amount of effort and talent used in taking such steps.

i look forward to seeing the next steps, which i presume may be refinements of the current models (interiors) and stuff(?).

eric
actually i'd like to say why; if you notice how much credit scawen and victor get, lets keep in mind how often they post in the forum; eric hasnt posted once.. i've also been told that victor (might have been scawen, cant remember) said they havent even been contacted/contacted eric for some time now... dunno
From what I've heard he's redoing cars because he isn't exactly satisfied with them.
Yes much respect Eric I like the new housing development out behind the trees on the longer Aston circuits . and the city skyline is so filled with detail its just awsome
I think equal credit to all 3 devs as IMO it is a team effort thats brought the sim to where it is now .

SD.
/me salutes Mr Eric Bailey
/me salutes Eric Bailey
What I like is that the tracks have such different looks to them. It really makes you feel like you are at different locations for different race.

Plus, everything is not begining oil painting 101 perfect. In other words, it looks like the real world. No over saturation and the track is the main focus.

Plus, he puts in some of those EVIL details like ripples in the track where one portion joins another that makes it even more difficult to get the power down.
Pinky, "what are we going to do tonight Eric?!" eric, "same thing we do every night pinky... try and take over the world!"
What I love about the LFS tracks is the consistent FPS I get even with the game at max details and 8xaa/16xaf.

Other sims such as GTL, which I play often, should try and achieve the same sort of thing... if Eric can do it, why can't they

On some tracks in GTL I'll be getting 80fps behind 6 cars, go around another corner and, bang, down to 20fps... ARGH!! I'm to lazy to change the default graphic settings as most tracks range from 50-80fps which is OK by my standards (and the cars look sexy), just not all tracks. I do only use 4xaa/8xaf to help FPS in GTL.

So not only can I run LFS at max detail and never get bad FPS (lowest for me 30fps when behind a full grid, never less than that though) but it also looks damn good. Car models are not as good as GTL, but still look very nice.

Well done Eric, love your work mate!
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
for the 3rd musketeer, Eric Bailey !
Props to Eric for sure.
its always the quiet ones.... agree with a of you. Nice job eric. Dont be afreaid to pop by once in a while.
Quote from Dygear :Yea, much respect Eric. Nice work man.

ditto! Eric, you are the man
All ofthe 3 devs are gods with imfinite skills, so why this thread?

Yea it's true that Eric should get more of the roses, but (as you said) it's mostly because he simply doesnt post here (at least I didnt notice a post since the new forum is there)
-
(schofei) DELETED by schofei
Quote from Hallen :Plus, everything is not begining oil painting 101 perfect. In other words, it looks like the real world. No over saturation and the track is the main focus.

I don't agree with that. The tracks need to look more used, we need more detailed tarmac textures etc. Currently the tracks look like they've been built last week. I've never liked Blackwood, maybe it's just the boring track profile but it feels too much of a fantasy track to me. Same thing to Fern Bay. On the other hand Kyoto GP and Aston GP are just perfect.

I think credits for the smooth gfx engine should be given to Scawen, he has coded the engine. Eric is just the texture/model artist? In my opinion LFS doesn't look anything that special (even when compared to other sims - mostly rFac and GTL) but FSAA/AF and the smoothness compensates MUCH. Some games just needs FSAA/AF to look great. I have almost 3-year-old computer and I'm still running LFS with 4xFSAA/4xAF.
Muchos Kudos respect to the hard working Devs. I'm all for spreading the credit but there is nothing wrong in letting Eric know exactly what his fans like most about his work. Keep banging out the Poly's Eric.
i bet if he would post some WIP screenshots, he would get ALOT of credit!
But all the surprise would be gone...
Quote from deggis :I don't agree with that. The tracks need to look more used, we need more detailed tarmac textures etc. Currently the tracks look like they've been built last week. I've never liked Blackwood, maybe it's just the boring track profile but it feels too much of a fantasy track to me. Same thing to Fern Bay. On the other hand Kyoto GP and Aston GP are just perfect.

I think credits for the smooth gfx engine should be given to Scawen, he has coded the engine. Eric is just the texture/model artist? In my opinion LFS doesn't look anything that special (even when compared to other sims - mostly rFac and GTL) but FSAA/AF and the smoothness compensates MUCH. Some games just needs FSAA/AF to look great. I have almost 3-year-old computer and I'm still running LFS with 4xFSAA/4xAF.

That is because the textures are somewhat limited to help with frame rates (I think). At least the textures do vary, and they are not pristine smooth and there are cracks. That was my point. Plus, Fern Bay feels like a little private track where club races are run, it is all the ambiance that Eric creates. It is very cool.

Sure, Scawen did the engine, but that does not mean you can go crazy with the track design. The more polygons, the bigger and more varied the textures, the slower things will get. It takes a true artist to make realistic environments with a limited tool pallet and still have them come out looking and performing great.
Quote from AndroidXP :But all the surprise would be gone...

Quote from AndroidXP :But all the surprise would be gone...

thats the glass half empty view

..or after showing us WIPs, it would keep us guessing even more
(obviously depending on what he shows)

something is better than nothing.. and we havent even gotten a word since release of S2 (actually.. even before that)

lol we have nothing to guess.. about, at all

You know who ...
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG