The online racing simulator
No progress report yet? BTW, any progress? Full S2 this year maybe?

How are the things going?
scawen said he was gonna start working on the tyre physics and other things more in january. so we might see something in 2006
But, Scawen, Scawen, Scawen... and Eric and Victor, what they have done? Just to know of course...

As I know Eric models cars, tracks and objects, attend textures and other graphic issues and Vic is the responsible for the sound, am I right?

So, while Scawen elaborates new algorithms and go deep in physics books, I guess Eric is doing new dashboards, improving the track environments and so on. And Vic could be trying a better crash sounds, and better motor sounds too...

I know nothing about how the things are going there.. excuse me... I'm just wondering if...
AFAIK, Victor does MUSIC, not game sounds, and of course web design. Therefore Scawen must be responsible for the sound. There is no sound loop for the engines they are generated on the fly via a combustion sample so each cylinder fire is generated in realtime.
Um, Victor was the MUSIC guy iirc, not the sound guy as such. Victor made all the menu music back in 0.2 or thereabouts with a few new ones for S1. But I've never heard anything factual about him making crash sounds.

DAMN YOU BALL BEARING TURBO!!!!
#6 - tinyk
Quote from Clownpaint :I think it would be safe to assume Victor does the sounds since he makes music... Even more so since there is only 1 song that comes with LFS now.

Wow 3 developers! One guy made all the tracks and cars! The other guy codes complex physics! What does the other guy do? Oh, he made a song on the menu.

I can assure you he does loads more than that. Just because you guys don't see them working doesn't mean they aren't. There's no way I'd wanna deal with all they have to. Enough of this childish stuff. They'll give updates when _they_ feel it's the right time and not before so go race, have fun, and make a friend.

~*~*~*~tinyk~*~*~*~
#7 - tinyk
Quote from Clownpaint :Shouldn't you be off making friends yourself? Or are you already too popular and think you can just come strolling in here and post!

Hey I never stroll I tip toe. Now leave the Devs to their work and go train for ESL.

~*~*~*~tinyk~*~*~*~
..who put LFSW all together .. oh whos that .. what?

oh ya.. that was victor.. remember?

ooooooooooh.. tiny told you
As I said before, I know nothing how the things go there. But I can suppose, and I suppose that Victor takes part on the discussion of all the game features, but does not program.

One more thing I can suppose: they should be working, hard working.

But... are them? Maybe not... excuse. I repeat I know nothing about them...

As a result of so long waiting, today I could confirm my suspects: a few servers on, with few peoples in.

Well...
If you live in Europe, LFS is alive and well... In this half of the globe it's slim pickings
Quote from Speed Soro :As I said before, I know nothing how the things go there. But I can suppose, and I suppose that Victor takes part on the discussion of all the game features, but does not program.

One more thing I can suppose: they should be working, hard working.

But... are them? Maybe not... excuse. I repeat I know nothing about them...

As a result of so long waiting, today I could confirm my suspects: a few servers on, with few peoples in.

Well...

If you already said, then no need to repeat. Don't assume they aren't just because you don't see it yet.

Dun worry be happy.

~*~*~*~tinyk~*~*~*~
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :If you live in Europe, LFS is alive and well... In this half of the globe it's slim pickings

A very good reason to spread the word. Once it catches on state side look out.

~*~*~*~tinyk~*~*~*~
I don't know if LFS will ever be huge here like it is in Europe. I can hope for it, but I doubt it. Road racing is just not the high percentage spectator sport here as it is in other places. Without an interest in racing, the chances of a high percentage of the potential market buying LFS is slim.
But, who knows. Road racing IS getting more popular here. We certainly have a lot of room to grow
Yes, road racing is definatly becoming more popular in America. 60% of the driver on SCORE (a European online racing site) is from USA or Canada. And SCORE is all about road racing.
I try my best to teach them about LFS
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :If you live in Europe, LFS is alive and well... In this half of the globe it's slim pickings

A little while ago, there are more people viewing this forum than there are racing on public sercervers in S2.
Quote from tinyk :A very good reason to spread the word. Once it catches on state side look out.

But wont there be an uproar? Surely most of you guys havent come across a decent corner before

Seriously though, this could be a good opportunity to get spreadLFS.com started (as long as you ignore the fact that it sounds like a disease, you should be ok )?
I hate to bust people's bubbles, but I don't think LFS is
EVER going to be that big of a thing here in the US. or Canada.
LOL, Racing titles just don't have much of a "track record" here.
I mean if it had glitzy effects and power-ups, it might attract attention
for 5 min.s but that's about it. Isn't the NASCAR sims more popular in Europe than here?
In fact, most Americans would rather know more about Scawen's Kitchen than his game. Everyone I turned onto this game don't care for it. They think something is wrong with me for liking to go around in a circle.

Also. the Game industry as a whole is in direct competition with the Music industry. Sales across the board are falling and falling fast. Which would probably explain why consoles are becoming more multi-media.
But that's OK, If you had to drive amongst Americans in real life, I don't think you'd really want us playing anyways
Quote from Racer Y :They think something is wrong with me for liking to go around in a circle.

I can't believe you, that this is what americans think... *lol*
man.. you just ain't done cookin
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from thisnameistaken :You do have to be a bit of a motorsport anorak to enjoy a sim as nerdy as LFS. I don't think it will ever be "huge" because it's never going to be accessible enough to the general public, or easy enough. Luckily the devs aren't all that commercially-minded, or we'd have yet another all-fur-coat-and-no-knickers driving sim.

You're probably right, though I've never understood why anyone would want to play a game involving cars, in which the cars don't feel or behave like cars.
However, I refuse to believe that LFS is simply too hard for the general public, if it is then something is seriously wrong with it since the vast majority of the general public are capable of driving a real car. The question is: do they enjoy driving enough to want to do more of it when they get home too?
Quote from sinbad :The vast majority of the general public are capable of driving a real car.

illepall
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from Clownpaint :It's not what Americans think. It's what the vast majority of people seem to think these days internationally. Especially with the new generations being into big explosions, hip hop and hollywood. They need to be kept entertained and motorsport doesn't do it for them. All my life I've stuck to my guns and tried to get as many people into motorsport as I can but they just aren't interested. I always get the same responses "Why do you enjoy watching cars go round in circles?!", "Why don't you just go and watch cars on the road?" and other ridiculous statements. I got those sort of responses more in high school though. As you get older you become more open minded and respect others views. But kids, unless they inherit the passion for motorsport generally just don't like it.

I think it depends on the age and "habits" taken very early. Those who mastered racing, music, whatever particular craft, learned the basics and learned to enjoy it in childhood from parents. There are many stories of jazz musicians whose fathers were fond of jazz, listened to it and took their boys to concerts in clubs. The same for motorsports, IMO.
"live for speed"
Most people like to vent their anger. Some of those like to fist fight. Of those who do fight, some know martial arts, and of these, a fraction follow them to black belt, and some beyond.

All you need is a little coordination, and to have fun while learning it. It's safe to say fast cars and motorcycles will always be made.. that says something about human nature.
Quote from farcar :A little while ago, there are more people viewing this forum than there are racing on public sercervers in S2.

Well, I work during the day 9-5. And I can get away with the forums here a bit to give my brain a break from coding occasionally. However playing LFS @ work is not a good idea LOL. So as it turns out I get to watch the graph spike a few hours before I get to go home, then by the time the kids go to bed etc all I have to choose from are a few drift servers and usually the FOX. I like the road cars myself. Occasionally like the GTRs.

Almost enough to make me take up drifting just so I can interact with human racers. The way it is they should make crickets in the track ambience so when I am all alone, or there's one dude practicing on the oppostite side of the track, I can hear the crickets chirping to make it feel like at least some life form is there.

(Tristan before you hit me I said ALMOST lol)
Quote from Clownpaint :IMO rFactor sounds how a racing simulation should. Doesn't give as much info as LFS but sounds gorgeous. Victor needs to fix the underlying tones and tweak the way they loop a bit more, then I'd say add at least 5-6 sounds on top. This can be anything from clutch noises to gravel hitting the car.

We just need more variation than. bruuuuuuuuuum, bruuuuuuuuuuum, bruuuuuuuuuum, bruuuuuuuum, BRAAAAAM (downshifting). bruuuuuuuuuuuuum, bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum.....

Scavier should hide Nakkitartsani to make new sounds for LFS S2 Final / S3 (I'm referring to that lfs_nakkisounds.avi ).

Progress report thread (no real information in it though)
(248 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG