The online racing simulator
Help from audio gurus, Line-in to optical, possible?
Need help... I've recently purchased Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers, they only come with Line-in connectors, but i wanted to connect them with the PS3, which only includes Optical out and ordinary analog red, white and yellow chinchs..

Adapter came with the speakers, and i curently have the speakers connected to the PS3 this way:

I have the sound on all five speakers, but i've been told that it's not the true surround sound, that those analog red and white can't transfer the true surround sound...

So i was wondering if there is some adapter in which i can plug in the Line-in from the speakers and Optical cable in the other side...

Here's the picture of what i'm talking about:

Help apreciated...
Impossible eh? Bummer... Stupid SONY and their stupid Optical audio, what the hell is the difference anyway, and what speakers they think i should use it with, the Logitech Z-5500 is 400 euros FFS!?
I'd look what kind of addon cables you can get for PS3. I'd guess you can't get multi channel audio out by using the optical line but multiple channels should be possible...

From the logi page:
System Compatibility
PC or Mac
CD player
Digital (MP3) music player
DVD player

PlayStation®, PlayStation®2, PLAYSTATION®3 (with game console adapter, not included)

Have you looked for this adapter? It's not the optical-rca adapter but by using that you could get multi channel audio. The main difference with this multi-channel audio and your current one is that your rear speakers are currently in one channel while in multi channel system they'd be separate.

EDIT: how have you connected your display to ps3?
Can you clarify it, not sure i understood.. So, multi-channel audio is still not real surround sound, but better then how i have it now?
I will check for that adapter.. i'm not sure it came with the PS3..

Btw i've connected the PS3 on 22" LCD monitor.. (it has to have DVI and HDCP ready)
If those speakers don't have a surround sound decoder, then no amount of cabling will help. As Bob mentions, you'll need a decoder first, then link that to the speakers.
Guess I was wrong then. No decoder = not possible
Duno actually the PS3 might have a decoder built in, but I've never seen it been done with any other consoles. Cuts costs I guess.
You would probably need something like this...

http://www.teufel.eu/PC-Multimedia/decoderstation-3.cfm

They mainly do decent (pricy) stuff but also have good mid/low price items! (I have the Concept E Magnum 5.1, and I'm happy with it :up

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG