The online racing simulator
Terminology?
(22 posts, started )
Terminology?
Hi Again
I can't figure the meaning of "split time and trail braking" stupid eh!
Thanks

Ron(Old Timer)
#2 - J@tko
In the same sentence? Or as 2 seperate words???

split time is the time for a section of track (called a split or sector), useful if you're comparing your time to others.

Trail braking is when you brake whilst still on the throttle (i think)
#3 - bbman
Trail braking is still braking while already turning into the corner...
There got it wrong already! I meant it as seperate words,you sorted it out anyway,thanks.
#5 - J@tko
Ah yes bbman is correct
Split time is an evil creation, added in the game to freeze your concentration and alter your hormones secretion thus producing excessive sweat any time the "split" is lower than your pb.

Trail braking is a pro thing, created for us middle tier drivers to miss braking points and turns entries so that the fast ones can pass easily WHILE laughing their heads off, as we try miserably to brake while turning and end up four wheels locked straigth in the grass.

Forget about these two.
#7 - Dac
trail braking is easy! just reduce braking power as you head for the apex,
Quote from Dac :trail braking is easy! just reduce braking power as you head for the apex,

talking about trail breaking...

that's something lousy drivers do a lot. *

average drivers don't.

good drivers do it too...

* makes me think of brake-lights flashing even after the apex.
Trail braking is keeping a small amount of brake applied between the moment you turn in and the point at which you reach the apex. It just helps you to get the nose of the car to the apex. However, you need the right amount of rear brake for it to be effective.

You may find yourself doing it automatically if you brake a little too late for a corner and need to knock off extra speed.

In my experience what separates the complete aliens from the rest of us their ability to brake late and be fast during the corner entry phase while still getting on the power early and carrying speed throughout the corner. Trail braking is part of this.
Quote from Bandit77 :talking about trail breaking...

that's something lousy drivers do a lot. *

average drivers don't.

good drivers do it too...

* makes me think of brake-lights flashing even after the apex.

I think you got it spot on! Trail braking is something that happens to a new driver by mistake, due to lack of... well, everything. Generally, if you attend any advanced driving course, you're told to get your braking and gear changes done BEFORE you enter a corner.

But then, as you get better and better, and maybe never... You may start to trail brake. My understanding is that any FAST racing driver will trail brake, because other than all the benefits of helping the front to turn (either by stiffing the front end, or with the help of rear brakes, turning the car with the back), it allows a driver to brake later than the average driver, but in addition, being able to apply the throttle at the same place or earlier than the AVERAGE driver...

But then again, thats my real life experience, but based on my limited LFS experience, the same applies.
With a low to mid powered FWD car, trail braking when done correctly is actually faster since you can scrub speed off mid corner without ruining exit speed. That's where left foot braking comes into play.

Meh.
Quote from Mille Sabords :Split time is an evil creation, added in the game to freeze your concentration and alter your hormones secretion thus producing excessive sweat any time the "split" is lower than your pb.

Hah so true. Usually when I note that my split is faster than my PB, my thoughts go something like this "Oh what a fast split, you are now gonna do a new pb. Just concentrate, just concentrate, concentrate to what is important now and don't do any mistakes, just drive smoothly and hit the apex on every turn. Concentrate, CONCENTRATE. NO, I mean CONCENTRATE. For foooks sake COONCEENTRAATEE NOW. CONCENTRATE don't think about doing it, DO IT...
...Oh oopsie"
Rumbling thru the grass now.
I'd lay off the coffee when racing mate.
Quote from Funnybear :I'd lay off the coffee when racing mate.

lol no it's not the coffee. I only drink coffee at mornings and afternoon. It's just that when I want to be good and fast I sometimes get very nervous.

I actually very often have window open in my room to cool me down.

Everyone's always complaining how it's so cold in the house because I have the window open to keep my head cool when racing. I usually "adjust" the window during pit stops.
Quote from BigPeBe :It's just that when I want to be good and fast I sometimes get very nervous.

I get this. I can usually drive two, maybe three races one after the other before I'm so stressed I have to go and do something else for a bit, especially if I finish better than I thought I was going to
Quote from Crashgate3 :I get this. I can usually drive two, maybe three races one after the other before I'm so stressed I have to go and do something else for a bit, especially if I finish better than I thought I was going to

lol yea. Usually after win I shake a bit. And get sweaty.
Tried trail braking, but it's very difficult with keyboard!
Quote from sinanju :Tried trail braking, but it's very difficult with keyboard!

Impossible even
#20 - Osco
Quote from BigPeBe :lol no it's not the coffee. I only drink coffee at mornings and afternoon. It's just that when I want to be good and fast I sometimes get very nervous.

I actually very often have window open in my room to cool me down.

Everyone's always complaining how it's so cold in the house because I have the window open to keep my head cool when racing. I usually "adjust" the window during pit stops.

this the so-called 'variable pit-window' ?
lol i sent my RL personal best arround queensland raceway trailbraking :P

stupid brake pad's were fryed after 2 laps :P
Trail braking is also one of the few bad habits sim racing can teach to you. You should only use trail braking in very slow corners and basically none in fast corners. Trail braking helps and causes you to turn in earlier and as a result you need more steering in the middle of the corner to get the nose pointing out from the corner. That eats momentum and lowers the average speed through a corner but saves time in longer brakings into slow corners. Essentially trail braking - the braking part takes away some of the cornering ability from your car, on fast corners that extra speed you can carry will be more beneficial for the ultimate lap time than the latest braking point gained by trail braking. Trail braking can also be used to balance the car while going into corner.

It's really one of the habbits I personally really need to get rid off. Especially in LFS where the majority of corners are quite quick. Sometimes you can really gain tenths in one corner by simply releasing the brakes earlier and letting the car coast into the corner. Like XRT on AS3 T1 or FZ50 on we1 T3/4.

Terminology?
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG