The online racing simulator
Intermittent G25 shifting issue
(13 posts, started )
I did a search but couldn't find anything on this issue.

Sometimes when I upshift, it will show netural instead of the correct gear. When that happens, I usually just have to depress the clutch slightly and let off and it will show the correct gear without having to do anything with the shifter. Most of the time I have no issues and this occurs only about 3% of the time but it is still very annoying since I'm losing a lot of time when racing online when it happens. I also play with GTR2 and it never happens when I play with that. Only LFS.

Can someone please help? Thanks.
Maybe you're simply mis-shifting? If you release the clutch too early or don't depress it enough altogether, then the new gear won't engage and you're stuck in neutral. Your stick is obviously still in the position of the wanted gear, so from the game's point of view it's still like you're applying pressure to get the virtual stick into gear, all that is needed at that point is depressing the clutch enough for the transmission to unload which allows the gear to engage. You only don't notice it as mis-shifting because LFS doesn't play the ugly grinding noise you'd hear at that point in a real car, nor does it model any transmission wear or damage yet.
Thanks for the reply and I understand what you are saying. When this problem happens, I just need to tap the clutch a little bit. I'm not even depressing the clutch and it will go into gear. I agree that when it happens initially, maybe I didn't depress the clutch all the way but if that is the case, why would just a light tap on the clutch was all it takes to get it in gear again? Do we have to depress the clutch all the way for the clutch to disengage? Is there anyway to adjust the clutch pick up point like in a real car?

Also, I shift the same way in GTR2 and I never had this issue. Maybe only LFS have this feature where it senses how much you are depressing the clutch pedal before it will disengage? If that is the case, like you said, maybe it'll be a good idea to have some gear crunching sound to let you know this .
Well, I'm not sure if this helps, but sometimes I mis-shift and have to dip the clutch.

The clutch doesn't dis-engage at 100%, it dis-engages the clutch at the biting point, which on the XFG is around 65% clutch travel. (Varies from car to car)

My problem is that sometimes when I shift into 5th it jumps out, I re-clutch and it thinks it's in 3rd until I re-shift, which although doesn't normally cost me a race win, it can screw my engine if I don't notice.
If it confuses 3rd with 5th then that is a problem with the shifter though, not with LFS.
Like I said, it's only intermittent, was racing for about 2 hours today and it didn't happen, it's only sometimes... maybe will open it up to have a look if it gets too bad.
Quote from AndroidXP :If it confuses 3rd with 5th then that is a problem with the shifter though, not with LFS.

That happens to me often... I put it to 5th and it goes neutral and 3rd while on the shifter its still on 5th. Its weird and annoying but I managed to change my shifting so that it does it less often.
Quote from FastFan :
Also, I shift the same way in GTR2 and I never had this issue. Maybe only LFS have this feature where it senses how much you are depressing the clutch pedal before it will disengage? If that is the case, like you said, maybe it'll be a good idea to have some gear crunching sound to let you know this .

Playing GTR Evo a lot these days (I just can't stop taking the Caterhams to the Nordschleife...), that's not really a valid point because you actually don't need to clutch in Simbin games.

So the point is still valid that your manual gear shifting process is flawed, either by releasing the clutch too early, pressing it too late or not far enough.
Actually "too late" will not cause a problem
true. silly me.
#11 - Woz
as a side note, by default the clutch of the G25 operate over the entire travel of the pedal which is of course VERY wrong.

Grab DXtweak and change it so it only operates over say 1/4 to 1/3 travel and place that band where you feel comfortable or where it appears in your cars clutch IRL. The last 1/3+ of your clutch travel should not really do anything and similar to when you start to press

Once you have done this it will feel more natural and you will not miss shift as much
^ Nope, with the latest patch LFS actually makes the clutch bite at about 60% of clutch travel. Using DXTweak to achieve a realistic bite point is not necessary any more.
Quote from ColeusRattus :Playing GTR Evo a lot these days (I just can't stop taking the Caterhams to the Nordschleife...), that's not really a valid point because you actually don't need to clutch in Simbin games.

So the point is still valid that your manual gear shifting process is flawed, either by releasing the clutch too early, pressing it too late or not far enough.

Yes, the Caterhams are great fun you can even get some catchable sideways action going which is unusual (for me) in Simbin cars, I had been learning to G25 heel and toe in the Caterham but since trying it out in LFS have realised that LFS is a much better learning tool as you know straight away that you've ballsed a shift, whereas in GTR e you can do whatever you like with the clutch and it still goes easily into gear, anyway to the OP I hope it is technique and not a goosed shifter that you have issues with mate.

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG