The online racing simulator
Proper chicanes
(124 posts, started )

Poll : LFS needs slower ( updated ) chicanes

Agree
Other.....
Dont agree
Quote from [DUcK] :(for a first..)!

we are never far from agreeing ducky, it's just sometimes we have trouble understanding each other because you speak alot of quack
quack up qunt!
Quote from Hyperactive :But it wouldn't work because of few things:
- penalties would be given by ai, or scripts and triggers. There is huge chance that majority of penalties on first laps would be harsh or unneeded as well as decent amount of all penalties as well because ai can't make a difference between accident avoidance, loss of control, accidental cut by just few millimetres and straight-forward cutting with no intention to even stay ont track.

It would be the same for everyone. Also it would very likely, after a period of assimilation, cut out that mad scramble for places at T1. We are supposed to be in control after all!

Quote from Hyperactive :
Tire stacks are an ok system, they clearly show where you can go. Although it would be even better if the tyre collision physics were much better and also bigger tire stacks were available.

I get more whinges about tyre stacks being 'on the racing line' when clearly they are not, than anything else. This, I think, is because LFSers have come to regard cutting as legitimate.
We'll just have to bumble along as usual until a solution is found. In my opinion an answer is necessary if LFS is to 'grow up'
Quote from [DUcK] :quack up qunt!

For those that live beyond the bigpond and think all of us downunder are a bunch of quacks I feel I must demistify duck speek for you what the Duck is saying is he agree's that we are never very far from agreement and that he speeks alot of quack but further more he thinks I speek alot of quack also

I'm honored Mr Ducky that you think I am able to be a quack!

O/T

Quote from Doorman :It would be the same for everyone. Also it would very likely, after a period of assimilation, cut out that mad scramble for places at T1. We are supposed to be in control after all!

I agree with Doorman and would have no problem with getting unfairly penalised on occassion if it meant for better racing in the long run. Such a system could also be done as in real life on a scale. i.e. first occurance in a race your given a warning, second or third occurance you are given a drive through and if repeated continually you recieve the black flag. It would also only be needed to be triggered on corners that will give you an advantage, that way you wouldn't get penalised for say being squeezed onto the inside grass area at T1 BL1 at the start to avoid an accident.

I do think some chicanes in LFS are very dangerous though and could do with abit of tweaking so please don't take me the wrong way and think I'm 100% against redisgning tracks, I often make comments to try stimulate discusion and I think people take me the wrong way at times .

Oh and irl I've seen plenty of pissed off drivers that think they have been unfairly penalised so I don't think AI marshels making a few unjust decisions is that far from reality lol
haha!
most qunts can quack, rarely though, do they make sense
Why are you tryng to say modify chicanes to avoid track cut or modify chicanes to be like in the real one's. All what i thing is some chicanes aren't safe cause they are very fast and you don't have chance to overtake at that point so you can crash to tyres and do a moonflight. I thing some chicanes have to be re-done to make it more slower and have more oportunity to overtake (and be like real one's, so LFS will gain more realistic enviroment)
Sorry for mi bad english.
well what to say,

results are talking

i am here now for a bit , but never saw a that good results
Quote from Doorman :This, I think, is because LFSers have come to regard cutting as legitimate.
We'll just have to bumble along as usual until a solution is found. In my opinion an answer is necessary if LFS is to 'grow up'

2 things need to be done for LfS to grow: Do away with those oversized kerbs (very very few kerbs in RL are wide enough to fit a whole car, yet 90% of LfS' do - Fern Bay is the only environment where the kerbs are the right size) and make them unsettle your car more OR officially declare them off track, with all HLVC cutting rules applying...
Quote from hotmail :well what to say,

results are talking

i am here now for a bit , but never saw a that good results

I hope that results are talking, otherwise the could just close this improvements threads aswell becaus i looked back far but didnt found any result like this.
+1
+2.7 I like the idea.
agree +1000000

Quote from Doorman :I get more whinges about tyre stacks being 'on the racing line' when clearly they are not, than anything else. This, I think, is because LFSers have come to regard cutting as legitimate.

You are right, it takes time to re-learn the track when you have a go with your tyre stacks on DmR server.
I personnally find it ineresting and challenging as it creates new corners - nearly new tracks!
So I would like to see some evolution to existing tracks, similar to RL tracks - after many races and practice some corners are modified to provide more safety, or a better show - why not in LFS?

Even better since we have no RL tracks we could keep both versions of a corner... configurable tracks +1
I hope something is done with the most convincing poll results ever
If one don't like the curbs in LFS? Buy another game maybe? Or why not take them as they are. If they damage the car due to an accident. So what in real racing it do cost a bunch of money. In LFS Nothing.
Just a thought
Sorry wrong not curbs should be chicane
Quote from Thommm :I hope something is done with the most convincing poll results ever

I hope so too, but i'm afraid the devs won't even take a look in this thread.
Quote from baSh0r :I hope so too, but i'm afraid the devs won't even take a look in this thread.

I think this thread made his point, if devs dont listen to threads made in here / this one, why is there a 'improvements thread' then
Quote from SauberDrifter :

Awesome track design!

This kind of brings up a good point. The whole thing of having such height change on a corner, was, I guess, to mimic the corkscrew of laguna seca, or at least, to do something somewhat similar.

However, since it's in the middle of two relatively straight parts of the track, cars in both directions arrive there full throttle. In my opinion this thing would gain a lot by being a proper chicane, just with a big height change in it.

If you look at it from overhead, and don't take heights in consideration, it would just be a pretty quick corner. Making it more like a real chicane when viewed from overhead would be a great addition.
Quote from boosterfire :In my opinion this thing would gain a lot by being a proper chicane, just with a big height change in it.

I disagree. I think the shape and design of that corner is great just the way it is. It's tough but full-throttle in the slower, grippier cars, but requires a lift or even a little brake in the faster ones.
Quote from boosterfire :In my opinion this thing would gain a lot by being a proper chicane, just with a big height change in it.

If you look at it from overhead, and don't take heights in consideration, it would just be a pretty quick corner. Making it more like a real chicane when viewed from overhead would be a great addition.

It's not trying to be a chicane and therefore it isn't failing at being one.
-
(Rudy van Buren) DELETED by Rudy van Buren
#122 - AMB
Quote from Gunn :It's not trying to be a chicane and therefore it isn't failing at being one.

So what would you call it?
Quote from AMB :So what would you call it?

S's chicanes are much tighter imo too.

Watched bits an pieces of Bathurst 1000 today, they had alot of problems with tyres delaminating which was put down to a large degree to curb hopping - one curb in particular.

LFS needs tyre damage in conjunctinon with tyre wear to make longer races more interesting.

Also you could noticably see that qualify setups had substantialy more camber then race sets. This again would be to reduce tyre damage and wear. The diference in qualify times to race times was 3 sec a lap which shows how much more conservative the race sets are over qualify sets. I don't believe wear alone is enough to simulate real race conditions irl as tyres get overheated they are much more prone to suffering damage.

And after 100+ laps the amount of marbles and rubish off the racing line was extreme.

Then there is damage...

Oh well I dream of the day these things might be simulated in LFS
Quote from Glenn67 :S's chicanes are much tighter imo too.

Watched bits an pieces of Bathurst 1000 today, they had alot of problems with tyres delaminating which was put down to a large degree to curb hopping - one curb in particular.

LFS needs tyre damage in conjunctinon with tyre wear to make longer races more interesting.

Also you could noticably see that qualify setups had substantialy more camber then race sets. This again would be to reduce tyre damage and wear. The diference in qualify times to race times was 3 sec a lap which shows how much more conservative the race sets are over qualify sets. I don't believe wear alone is enough to simulate real race conditions irl as tyres get overheated they are much more prone to suffering damage.

And after 100+ laps the amount of marbles and rubish off the racing line was extreme.

Then there is damage...

Oh well I dream of the day these things might be simulated in LFS

The cars were running about 6-8 degrees of negative camber on the front and 2-3 of negative at the rear to be exact. Glenn, what you dream of is what I dream of too. The mirror's casing cracking then the whole thing falling off, paint and bodykit scrapage, tyre marks on the body, exploding tyres ripping holes in the bodykit, etc... and why don't we add the track too for more fun!

Proper chicanes
(124 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG