The online racing simulator
Bicycle Buying Advice
(53 posts, started )
#1 - amp88
Bicycle Buying Advice
I'm looking to buy a bicycle to use to lose a couple of stone and generally get fitter. I know next to nothing about bikes and I'm not too bothered about the spec. I will require a drinks bottle holder and one of those little bags that fits inside the frame (to carry mobile phone/mp3 player) and a speedometer/odometer but they can be bought as accessories if need be. I don't want to spend too much on it, looking at in the region of £200 for the bike, the above mentioned gear and a helmet. Can anyone point me towards some good online / high street shops and give me some ideas on names/features to look out for?

Thanks in advance
I dont know too much about bikes but Halfords do racing bikes if thats what you want
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
What sort of bike?, I am currently looking at a road bike to do triathlons on.
halfords are good when it comes to bike parts and accesorys but the brands of bike they carry arnt althow they look good my advice would be to go to a good bike shop and look out for name like Gaint, Trek, Specialized, and look at the names on parts like the gears and brakes shimano and shram probaly being the best i would also look around on some internet sites as u can get better bike for the money if delivery isnt to expensive.
#5 - bozo
I fully agree with Speedway. When you know what type of riding you're going to be doing (road / off-road), speak to somebody in your local bike shop. They will guide you towards some alternatives, then get some test rides arranged.

If you end up going for a mountain bike, I would seriously warn against getting any kind of suspension. On cheaper bikes it will be worse than useless. If most of your riding is going to be on tarmac with just a little offroad, a hybrid could be the best option. Fat knobbly tyres are no fun when most of your riding is on tarmac, they just create drag.
#6 - amp88
Thanks for the quick replies so far. I think it's clear from the replies that I need to get out and at least take a look at a few different models to see exactly what I need. I'll try and get down to the local Halford's to see what they have with an idea to getting more information. I won't be buying until I'm more informed (which is what this topic is about... ). As for the type of bike, I don't really know the difference between all the types listed but I plan to use it on backroads around where I live. There are a few 10/15/20/25 etc mile routes I could go on that all use the backroads around me. They're not in a great state so I think suspension would make things slightly more comfortable. As for the price...I have a lot more than £200 saved up but I am leaving my job next week so I don't want to invest too much in this. I could stretch a bit further if I absolutely had to.
Quote from amp88 :Thanks for the quick replies so far. I think it's clear from the replies that I need to get out and at least take a look at a few different models to see exactly what I need. I'll try and get down to the local Halford's to see what they have with an idea to getting more information. I won't be buying until I'm more informed (which is what this topic is about... ). As for the type of bike, I don't really know the difference between all the types listed but I plan to use it on backroads around where I live. There are a few 10/15/20/25 etc mile routes I could go on that all use the backroads around me. They're not in a great state so I think suspension would make things slightly more comfortable. As for the price...I have a lot more than £200 saved up but I am leaving my job next week so I don't want to invest too much in this. I could stretch a bit further if I absolutely had to.

How smooth exactly are the back roads? If you get one with suspension your probably going to have big chunky tires on it unless you change them - it would be a lot better to get one with skinny tires and no suspension and just use it on smoother roads.
#8 - amp88
Quote from mcintyrej :How smooth exactly are the back roads? If you get one with suspension your probably going to have big chunky tires on it unless you change them - it would be a lot better to get one with skinny tires and no suspension and just use it on smoother roads.

I avoid driving on them if I can at all. Plenty of potholes, occasional gravel and usually have at least some manure or other dirt on them. The condition of the actual road differs but it's mostly quite lumpy due to being driven on constantly by tractors. I live in a farming area. I don't really want to go on the nicer A roads because they're generally really busy.
Quote from amp88 :Thanks for the quick replies so far. I think it's clear from the replies that I need to get out and at least take a look at a few different models to see exactly what I need. I'll try and get down to the local Halford's to see what they have with an idea to getting more information. I won't be buying until I'm more informed (which is what this topic is about... ). As for the type of bike, I don't really know the difference between all the types listed but I plan to use it on backroads around where I live. There are a few 10/15/20/25 etc mile routes I could go on that all use the backroads around me. They're not in a great state so I think suspension would make things slightly more comfortable. As for the price...I have a lot more than £200 saved up but I am leaving my job next week so I don't want to invest too much in this. I could stretch a bit further if I absolutely had to.

I was facing a simular situation last year. I was looking for a nice looking bike that would just bring me from point A to B, basically. I did some test rides and decided to get a Scott YZ3 2007 bike for about 400 €. Since its a mountain bike im able to do some offroad/ downhill stuff every now and then and still its perfect for "normal day conditions".

So obviously and as already suggested, get to know what you want to do with the bike mostly and consider routes on which you want to go every now and then. Every feature (such as suspension and disc brakes) are going to cost a bit of extra money and specialized bikes are going to be expensive as well. I'd say front suspension is quite comfortable and was quite helpful every now and then but i dont think that rear suspension and disc brakes are of any needs, at least if you're not a "hardcore offroad topspeed seeking geek"

/good luck

Edit: thats my bike

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=919028#post919028
Quote from amp88 :I avoid driving on them if I can at all. Plenty of potholes, occasional gravel and usually have at least some manure or other dirt on them. The condition of the actual road differs but it's mostly quite lumpy due to being driven on constantly by tractors. I live in a farming area. I don't really want to go on the nicer A roads because they're generally really busy.

Sounds a bit like what I use my bike for - less than perfect country lanes, odd bit of offroad point to point, and a bit of town use. I used to have a Saracen trail bike, but it wasn't that well suited - too heavy, didn't need the full suspension, and it was getting on a bit, so I replaced it with a Giant Yukon last year. All I've done to it is change the crankset (which probably went as I'm not exactly small, nor am I gentle on it), rest has been fine. Just stuck some high power lights on and a trip computer.

Best thing you can do though is go down a proper bike shop, talk to them and try a few different ones out. There's no real "must have" things, you can easily change tyre types for what you need, although I'd be looking at disc brakes as standard, as conventional types are useless in the wet. Front suspension is very handy and doesn't add much to the weight. Its almost always adjustable anyway. The frame size and adjustability is very important as well.

And don't go to Halfords if you can help it, they're fine for parts but they won't help you like a specalist will. Its quite unlikely they'll have someone who's spent 20 years setting them up and tuning them as well.
I changed my bike not too long ago, as I had outgrown my last one, and it was really heavy. It was a full suspension heavy-duty bike, with HUGE jump tyres, and it was an absolute pain to cycle. Going with other people, and seeing them smoothly hop over a wall or fence with the bike, and then requiring 3 people to get mine over was not cool. Neither was huffing and puffing to keep up with everyone else.

So I got the cheapest and lightest mountain bike I could, and ended up getting a Raleigh Freeride. I also got some narrower tyres for it, as it came with jump tyres (no idea why, it's no-where near sturdy enough for jumping). I got the bike from Halfords, and got a set of cross-threaded road tyres from Argos. It's such an improvement now, I can hold a steady 15mph on most of the roads around me, with little effort. It has front suspension too. I'd definitely recommend something like this just for normal everyday cycling, it's cheap (€250 IIRC. Looking at Halfords UK online, it's £45, an absolute bargain) and reliable. Speedos are dirt cheap too, £5-15 in Argos will get a basic one. Drinks holder should come with the bike, if not ask whoever's assembling it nicely and they'll probably throw one in, they can be had for £2 with a bottle anyway. I'm not too sure about the bags, but I'm sure it would fit the bike anyway
#12 - Nobo
Quote from dougie-lampkin : I'd definitely recommend something like this just for normal everyday cycling, it's cheap (Looking at Halfords UK online, it's £45, an absolute bargain)

Quote from amp88 :I'm looking to buy a bicycle to use to lose a couple of stone and generally get fitter. I know next to nothing about bikes and I'm not too bothered about the spec. I will require a drinks bottle holder and one of those little bags that fits inside the frame (to carry mobile phone/mp3 player) and a speedometer/odometer but they can be bought as accessories if need be. I don't want to spend too much on it, looking at in the region of £200 for the bike, the above mentioned gear and a helmet. Can anyone point me towards some good online / high street shops and give me some ideas on names/features to look out for?

Thanks in advance

If i would need to recommend a bike for his needs (and as close to his budget as possible) from that site i would go for this . Its also the price region (280 pounds) where it begins if you dont want to have a bike falling apart after a 100k
Well I've been cycling 8 miles a day on average on it for almost a year, and it's still as perfect as the day I got it. My only problem with it is the gearing is terrible, it tops out at 15mph in 18th. I sorted that though by swapping the back cogs with the set from my last bike. It's a Raleigh, and I've always maintained that Raleighs are the best you can get for this kinda bike. My Dad has a Raleigh hybrid that's as old as me, still perfect. Actually, it's still using the original front tyre
Don't buy cheap rear suspension or cheap disc brakes. You probably won't be able to find a bike with good discs for less than £400 and you won't get decent full suspension for less than about £800, although obviously there will be a few exceptions (to stop people going 'but theres this one....' )

Cheap rear suspension will just be a pain to ride on roads with and will break if you try off-roading. Cheap discs, although when they work they're ok, the slightest ding to the disc and they'll bend, pretty much locking the wheel (I've done this ).

Also stay away from cheap bikes with those double pillars forks (Can't rememeber what they're called - basically instead of the front fork having an inverted Y shape, it's two columns connected with clamps). They look quite cool, but I'm told they haven't got enough 'give' and unless you have a very strong (read: 'very expensive') frame to complement them, they'll eventually crack the welding where the pivot tube joins the frame.

If you're planning on riding on roads a lot and your bike has knobbly tyres, it's worth investing in a pair of hybrids that have tread on the sides and a strip of slick up the centre.

I've got a 2006 Giant Boulder:

(although I don't think that pic is the 2006 one, it's pretty much the same) and do about 13 miles a day on road. I've changed the tyres for hybrids to make the ride a bit easier. It's pretty much perfect for what I want to do - ride to work and back and do some off road occasionally at the weekend). Cost me £300 in January 07.
When you start cycling, do be on the look out for signs that move. They have been known to jump out in front of you, and despite the fact they are big enough to be seen in a car from hundreds of yards away it is, apparently, possible to nearly die from hitting them at 10mph. One good thing is that stupid cyclists hitting signs is entirely the fault of the local council, even though they are painted bright colours.

I just don't want to see you brain damaged. You'll start liking modified cars and 6 tonne sound systems.
First off congratulations on making a decisive decision to improve your life! I made the same decision recently.

I dont know if £200 will go far on the high street. By the time I bought helmet, gloves, d-lock and got him to throw the lights in free i'd still spent over £300 and had to get pump and puncture repair kit later (not that i've got a man handy to tell him to use these other things for me grr).

First thing is, it doesnt matter what type of bike you get as long as it's cool, black is always cool - mine has orange flashes. Score 10 for style, and 1 for everything else... ! This is important, you're travelling slower so might get seen!

Shimano gears: Or some equivellent, the kind you just press a lever and they do it all for you. This is essential, it's impossible to change gear and hold your phone with the other hand without a good gear selection thingamy. No seriously, you change gears often on a bike so good gears is important and saves a load of hassle.

Frame size: Get one that fits your height, you should be tiptoed if you are just sat on the saddle.

D-Lock: Get the best lock you can, don't skimp. Stealing bikes is soooo easy. If you can't afford a good D-Lock then dont buy the bike, go and nick one from somebody who made the same mistake. This is more important than drinks bottle/bag inside the frame.

Lights: LED ones are wicked bright and the batteries last yonks (well I think they do, i've never had to change them yet)

Sleeveless Denim Top with Pockets: Seriously, slip it over whatever you are wearing and always goes well, and gives you a pocket for both your smokes and your phone, handbags dont work on a bike!

Rucksack Thingy: Modern backpack rucksacky type things are dead light, waterproof, and carrying on your back rather than your bike means it's not permanently on there so you only take it when you need it, and you dont have to flaff around loading the bike up from short-lived carrier bags when you leave the shop in the pouring rain.

Racing Drivers Wet Weather Suit: Goes over whatever you are wearing and keeps all but your feet bone dry. Still working on a solution for the feet...

Sun Glasses/Glasses/Reactorlights: Essential, if you bike looks cooler than you do then you loose all style points (as I did earlier going to the shops looking a right mess). Also keeps bugs out of eyes.

Cycle Helmet: It's not uncool to wear a helmet.

Gloves, Cyling Fingerless Ones: Best. Purchase. Ever. And looks cool with other outfits too!
You can always do it the Dutch way:

1. Find a hobo/junkie
2. Give him €10,-
3. Receive stolen bike
4. Enjoy it until it gets stolen
Dutch bikes always look like they were made in 1920 out of scaffolding poles. Out of the thousands upon thousands of bikes I saw, chained to every single railing that would hold them, when I went to Amsterdam I think I saw 2 that looked like modern bikes.
Quote from 510N3D :I was facing a simular situation last year. I was looking for a nice looking bike that would just bring me from point A to B, basically. I did some test rides and decided to get a Scott YZ3 2007 bike for about 400 €. Since its a mountain bike im able to do some offroad/ downhill stuff every now and then and still its perfect for "normal day conditions".

So obviously and as already suggested, get to know what you want to do with the bike mostly and consider routes on which you want to go every now and then. Every feature (such as suspension and disc brakes) are going to cost a bit of extra money and specialized bikes are going to be expensive as well. I'd say front suspension is quite comfortable and was quite helpful every now and then but i dont think that rear suspension and disc brakes are of any needs, at least if you're not a "hardcore offroad topspeed seeking geek"

/good luck

Edit: thats my bike

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=919028#post919028

i got a 2006 scott voltage yz1 absolutely brilliant then i got my 2008 gt performer bmx
Quote from brt900 :i got a 2006 scott voltage yz1 absolutely brilliant then i got my 2008 gt performer bmx

Indeed. I had a few bikes before, rather good ones actually and also tried a lot of my friends bikes and such but never ever had a better feeling then with this one. Its great quality for a great price though. I think i'll stick with scott bikes for some time now
Quote from piggy501 :Seeing as you stay in Glasgow, try Dales Cycles (http://www.dalescycles.com/) for a good bike and advice, or Evans Cycles at Xscape (http://www.evanscycles.com/)

Thanks for the links

I've been taking a look at the Evans Cycles bikes and I've seen one which I think meets my requirements. The Ridgeback Bora Hybrid. I think the hybrid category of bikes seems to suit my needs the best. It doesn't have suspension, but after the comments I've seen here and from people at work I don't think this will be much of a loss. It looks basic but I think that's probably what I need at the moment. There's still a chance that I won't have the commitment to do this regularly enough to actually get value out of it, so I think spending £500 or more at the moment wouldn't be a very good idea. I'm planning to go to Evans and see what advice they give me soon. Thanks again for the advice all
just make sure you can ride fast, learn the traction limits, learn good posture, learn to brake (bikes tend to tip over if you don't do it right. worse when you out of fear avoid the front brake)

oh well

take it easy i suppose.

i'm thinking of getting a full suspension ideal dss/axion one. roads have so horrible potholes you can get lost in there. there is speculation that the TV series LOST is actually filmed inside one of these potholes.
That one looks *really* cheap and nasty. Get a decent hardtail instead - you only really need front suspension. Use your legs for suspension if you insist on going over potholes instead of around them.
Quote from Crashgate3 :That one looks *really* cheap and nasty. Get a decent hardtail instead - you only really need front suspension. Use your legs for suspension if you insist on going over potholes instead of around them.

Have you got another suggestion in the same price range (within £50) from the same site?

Bicycle Buying Advice
(53 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG