The online racing simulator

Poll : What Team Where Strongest This Weekend?

Closed since :
Renault
McLaren
Ferrari
Williams
BMW Sauber
ForceIndia
RedBull
Honda
TorroRosso
Toyota
2008 Formula 1 Singtel Singapore Grand Prix
Too early? I dont care

So, how is this going to be? A race at nigth.
Since this is a new track anyone could take Pole or Win.
What do you think?
#2 - aoun
I think it will run fine. Seriously, people are talking too much about all the problems. Its not like they don't have racing experience at night.
Hamilton, in an interview in some magazine or other (F1 Racing?), said he's never raced at night. I suspect the majority of the field haven't either, as night races aren't very common in the lower formulae.
#4 - sam93
Well they have got round Monaco alright haven't they? The track has flood lights to light up the track so it shouldn't be to much trouble out there. I have heard that there are only a few places that have good overtaking opportunities.

I am deffently not going to miss this race though, seems like it is going to be a good race. I was reading an article about what Hamilton has said about their training program for this race etc... They are going to stick to the European time zone so they will stay up to the early hours of the morning etc... So their bodies are in good form for the race but they have said it is going to be heard for their bodies not to want to change to local time zone because it will be dark and this light, heat etc... will make their bodies want to change. I haven't explained this very well, I know so here is the link to the article: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70716
Well some people have told me there are so many flood lights at these kind of races that its like racing in the day , is qualifying at night time too?
I would love for there to be a power-cut at the track half way through.

But seriously, I think it could be a very interesting race and I'm defintely going to be watching it.
#7 - sam93
Quote from pacesetter :is qualifying at night time too?

Yes, 10pm in Singapore the qualifying starts, 3pm GMT (London Time)
#8 - ajp71
Quote from aoun :Its not like they don't have racing experience at night.

The only single seaters to run at night are oval series, very few F1 drivers have driven them. There's nothing else similar, it is not a night race, like a few F1 drivers may have experienced in guest drives at sports car races.
thanks,
What about if it rains and the glare from the water, FWIH floodlit races have to be red flagged then?
Still wanting to get the F1 topic Arox so people reply to you and you feel popular?

Its going to be exactly the same as a day time one apart from the sky isn't blue its black. The track will be lit up so brightly the night factor will just be a novelty rather than a challenge.
Quote from duke_toaster :What about if it rains and the glare from the water, FWIH floodlit races have to be red flagged then?

so it is the show times of 4 eyes guy
Quote from aoun :I think it will run fine. Seriously, people are talking too much about all the problems. Its not like they don't have racing experience at night.

AFAIK, only two drivers have raced at night: David Coulthard and Sebastien Bourdais. Both of them in Le Mans 24-Hours races:
* Coulthard in 93 in a GT Jaguar but was disqualified (illegal exhaust).
* Bourdais in 99-02 in LMP900 (DNF, 4th, 4th, 10th), 04 (DNF) and 07 (2nd) in LMP1.

(Mark Webber also competed in Le Mans 24-Hours in 99, but his car flipped during practice and didn't race).

The problem I think, will be if there is heavy rain. Floodlights will wreak havoc with the spray. Light rain might be tolerable, but heavy rain would result in red-flagging, IMHO.
British people can visit ITV F1 video section, click F1 Worldwide and watch the video of Mark Webber going around the track (CGI)
Quote from DevilDare :British people can visit ITV F1 video section, click F1 Worldwide and watch the video of Mark Webber going around the track (CGI)

It's on Youtube too. Perhaps it's a Red Bull marketing thing, as it shows an RBR car and a STR car going wheel-to-wheel (with the STR car spinning out!).
Massa for the win
#19 - Vain
Quote from samjh :It's on Youtube too. Perhaps it's a Red Bull marketing thing, as it shows an RBR car and a STR car going wheel-to-wheel (with the STR car spinning out!).

It's propably supposed to show Webber failing to notice that he's being lapped by Vettel.

Vain
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Okay, you said!

Massa AND Hamilton for the spin? You know, I'd love to see them do a duel and take each other out. It will make the championship standings look very interesting.

But then that would ruin my F1racemanager.com points too.
Quote from DevilDare :British people can visit ITV F1 video section, click F1 Worldwide and watch the video of Mark Webber going around the track (CGI)

The only way that would be interesting is if he is driving James Allen and they do a Matrix and crash into a wall in a massive fireball, thus killing them both in the real world.

Did anyone see the little bit in Autosport that said they are testing helmet cameras in F1? They are only about 10 million years behind the Americans. I remember watching a CART race where they had cameras actually inside the helmets, that gave you a proper drivers view of the track, dirty visor and everything. Hopefully we will actually get these cameras for the BBC broadcasts next year, and not just for people paying Bernie for his special service.
Quote from mcintyrej :Its going to be exactly the same as a day time one apart from the sky isn't blue its black. The track will be lit up so brightly the night factor will just be a novelty rather than a challenge.

+1

The main reason to have the race at that time isn't the fact that it's a "night race" anyway. It's because the race will be at the same time as most other races for Europeans, the main audience.

IMO.
The MotoGP night race was quite cool to watch, but it didn't make a huge difference. I think you would have to actually be there for it to be special, but to be honest you might as well just go to some endurance races and save yourself a lot of money.

Slightly off topic, but am I the only one hoping this customer car argument ends up causing Franz Tost to leave Torro Rosso? Why do I want him to leave? Imagine the headline...

FRANZ TOST OFF
Quote from samjh :Massa AND Hamilton for the spin? You know, I'd love to see them do a duel and take each other out. It will make the championship standings look very interesting.

But then that would ruin my F1racemanager.com points too.

Enough!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG