The online racing simulator
#1 - samjh
***F1 GP SPOILERS *** The official Gran Premio d'Italia thread
So after the drama that was the 2008 Belgium Grand Prix, we are now well on our way to the Italian Grand Prix.

The track is a McLaren favourite, but Ferrari's home grand prix shared with Toro Rosso, and the two Italian drivers on the grid: Jarno Trulli and Giancarlo Fisichella.

Will Hamilton attack with vengeance and grab the crown? Or will Ferrari stake their claim for the WCC and [Massa's] WDC prizes? BMW, always a lurking threat, will they come into play?

Only three drivers on the current grid have won the Italian GP:
Rubens Barrichello (twice)
Fernando Alonso (once)
David Coulthard (once)

Last year's result:
Race: 1st Fernando Alonso, 2nd Lewis Hamilton, 3rd Kimi Raikkonen
Pole: Fernando Alonso 1:21.997
Fastest Lap: Fernando Alonso 1:22.871

Weather forecast (source):
Friday AM: Rain/Showers
Friday PM: Rain/Showers
Saturday AM: Rain/Showers
Saturday PM: Rain/showers
Sunday AM: Light rain
Sunday PM: Some clouds
Now Hamilton wont cut T1.

I expect the best race of the season, but not the best battle...
I expect McLaren to dominate, due to the Ferraris not running well over the kerbs.
I think the Ferrari will be strong here, you can't expect a team to be bad at the same thing two years in a row, and they also stated they Based there car for better kerb control.

I think Vettel might do something special here.
Your weather source now says there will be heavy rain on Sunday afternoon and a bit in the morning.

If the weather will be wet, then Ferrari will never have a chance. Kimi drives into a wall, Massa will drive like in Silverstone. This could be Toro Rosso's best race in the season.
#6 - samjh
Nah, don't say Kimi "drives into a wall" in wet weather. And Massa isn't actually all that bad in the wet - Silverstone was just a bad trough.

I think you're right about STR having a good chance. They surprised me in Spa, so could do it against in Monza. Force India was suprisingly strong too.

As much as it will hurt my F1racemanager.com score, I'd like to see Kubica do a ripper on this track!
Possibly another wet race, great.

Has it ever rained during a Monza GP in the last 10/15 years? I can't remember.
#8 - robt
aparently 1988 was the last wet monza race (read it somewhere today)
#9 - amp88
I don't think there's been rain during a race since before 1980 at Monza.
So it's about time!!
If we have a wet one we'll probably have some safety car interruptions.
Thunderstorm, omg.

Looks like there's a chance of rain for quali, too.
Wet Monza + low downforce setup... so how many drivers will slingshot off the parabolica?
Quote from samjh :Wet Monza + low downforce setup... so how many drivers will slingshot off the parabolica?

Powersliding the whole Curva Grande could be nice...
IMO Monza in wet would be seen to be belived, high speed plus no grip at all, would provide lots of entertainment.

Last year in dry it wasn't that fun to watch but the engine differences can always get your lower teams into the mix(STR FTW).
As long as it isn't as bad as europe last year then it would be good.

allthough i will admit that was comedy.
Last year's result:
3rd Kimi Raikonnen

It's RAIKKONEN, ffs..
Quote from marsaz :Last year's result:
3rd Kimi Raikonnen

It's RAIKKONEN, ffs..

Räikkönen

---
I think Haemitlon will be strong, especially if it rains, even a bit. Masaa will be quick too but I doubt that Masaa or Kovalainen can challenge Kimi or Louis... Although Masaa should really be on the front if he plans to win the championship...
Räikänniääliö ?

He should definitely win this one for people to say "E should be teh champion"
Quote from marsaz :Last year's result:
3rd Kimi Raikonnen

It's RAIKKONEN, ffs..

Kimi Raikonnen fan?

OK.. OK... it's Raikkonen. Sheesh, don't have a cry.

Quote from SilverArrows77 :I agree that it would be a spectical and for that reason great to see (just like a wet old hockenheim used to be), i just think sadly you wont see the cars racing much if it is that wet as, depending on standing water, i think there will be quite a high chance of cars aquaplaning and monza's barriers are very close to the circuit - plus the lack of traction control this year. Will be interesting at least either way

Well, being wet and slippery didn't stop Kimi and Lewis from banging each other in the last race.

Let the bravest driver win!
If it just suddenly rains during this race I don't know how anyone will cope, they would have to red flag it proberly?

Anyway I'm looking forward to a race of non-controversy lol.
Quote from RossUK :If it just suddenly rains during this race I don't know how anyone will cope, they would have to red flag it proberly?

They'll cope just like they have at any other rainy race. But I will feel most sorry for the poor sod pulling over 3Gs around Di Lesmo or Parabolica when the rain hits. :yikes:
Quote from samjh :They'll cope just like they have at any other rainy race. But I will feel most sorry for the poor sod pulling over 3Gs around Di Lesmo or Parabolica when the rain hits. :yikes:

Yeah loooots of people off. In which case they probably would have to stop the race, but lets hope not.
Quote from RossUK :If it just suddenly rains during this race I don't know how anyone will cope, they would have to red flag it proberly?

I think they would just full course yellow and bring out the safety car.

I seem to have a vague memory of them doing this somewhere before, can anyone confirm it ?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG