The online racing simulator
Google chrome
(203 posts, started )
I've been trying it all day, and it's no faster than Firefox. If anything it's slower at opening images. Also it uses far more resources than Firefox, and I like to have a browser open all times, even while gaming (dual screen FTW!). It also doesn't have a "home" button, and the tabs are in the wrong place. It's built in spell check also doesn't have FTW as a word. Firefox still comes out on top, Chrome is just for fancy ponses who like arranging flowers

And another thing, it can't display vBulletin's WYSIWYG editor mode. Epic Fail.

When it's improved measurably, and the layout is customizable, then I may consider using it. But right now it's terrible...

E: Just realised I have BitTorrent open, that explains the slow images. But everything else is Chrome's fault.

E2: Back on Firefox now, and all pages are quicker to load (with BitTorrent still running). Also Firefox doesn't have "Firefox" in it's dictionary, while Chrome does. Interesting...
Wow. Pretty fast. Like what I see so far.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :E2: Back on Firefox now, and all pages are quicker to load (with BitTorrent still running). Also Firefox doesn't have "Firefox" in it's dictionary, while Chrome does. Interesting...

My Firefox has Firefox in the dictionary

It also has Internet Explorer in its dictionary, which is nice of them
#29 - dev
It has great potential, but for the moment i'll stick to firefox Chrome crashes allways on importing settings, it's fast, but it lacks some of the options firefox had for years (like forcing new pages to open in new tabs instead of new windows)...
Well FTW isnt in the OED so technically it isn't a word
Very impressed with it so far, slick and stylish. What I like most though is the desktop shortcut option, it automatically creates a link with the icon and opens the page without address bar/bookmark bar.
funny how people rejoice everytime google comes up with something new but cry rape when microsoft does
Probably because google's stuff works and is generally innovative.
Ajp, I can basically say that it's essentially what Safari on Windows should be. I'm basically sold on it to use. Finally I can have a Webkit based browser, without the tragedy of Safari on windows. Especially because I still show a strong dislike for FF3 due to them mangling the address bar.
I'm not sure on downloading it. I'm pretty used to firefox now, and I think I'd go mental without adblock, can't remember what it was like before

And I got all my favorites nicely in one bar at the top, I dunno, I'm so used to this

And stuff google brings out doesn't cost dumptrucks of money.

@victor: I hated the tabs when I first started using Firefox, I couldn't get used to it, and now a long time later I'm tabbing happily along
#37 - Jakg
You can have your favourites bar at the top - press CTRL + B to get the bar up, then drag the bookmarks from "Other bookmarks" to the bar to put them there.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :This is a complaint?

Fo sho, dood!

On-topic: I'll try it when you can add bookmarks. I can't live without bookmars in my browser.
amazingly faster than ff3. using it now, the only thing i miss is addons but that'll come in time. great job google!
you can?! Import your FF or IE or Opera bookmarks, and they get put into an Other Bookmarks -> Imported from <Browser> folder. Ctrl+B brings up the bookmarks menu. Drag and Voila, you have your bookmarks in a huge menu. It's missing a "Management thing" though
is it safer? i mean like FireFox comparing it to IE
It should be, because it "sandboxes" it, keeping everything seperate from accessing the OS. I dunno, seeing it's so new, so not many attempts have been made to find vulnerabilities in it. Time is basically the only indication.
#44 - wien
Quote from Victor :meh so another browser to test websites with - hurray

While I share the sentiment, it's based on Webkit so if Safari works Chrome will as well. Those of my sites I've tested have turned out just fine. YMMV.

EDIT: Lfsworld seems extremely smooth in Chrome though. That's actually the first time in a good long while a browser has impressed me. Even the huge windows with enormous tables resize and redraw like it was nothing. Firefox gets quite chugguy when I try the same there.
Quote from Shotglass :funny how people rejoice everytime google comes up with something new but cry rape when microsoft does

Maybe, just maybe, the company is irrelevant, and people recongnize a good product when they see it. If IE8 (urgh) had the speed and UI cleanliness Chrome looks to have I'd probably give that serious consideration as well. It doesn't.

Give people some ****ing credit.
-
(wien) DELETED by wien : Double post
Google Crome still isn't my standard browser, because it doesn't have an adblocker/noscript equivalent. Also, I don't like the blurred fonts. It's almost as bad as Safari
#46 - wien
Quote from hrtburnout :It's almost as bad as Safari

Hmm. Seems the same as Firefox and IE here. Does it enable ClearType even though it's turned off or something? IE7 also does that IIRC.
All I can say... Less = More. Firefox with 1 tab uses like 25MB of RAM where as Chrome uses 19. The only issue I've seen so far is flash. It started out well, but after about 40 minutes running LFS remote, the plugin crashed, which might be a mix of Flash 10 or general flash suckyness.

It's great fun

I still laugh that people still whine about the "blurred fonts"... they look so much better than the ugly non-blur ones. Blind ****ers.
Quote from wien :Maybe, just maybe, the company is irrelevant, and people recongnize a good product when they see it. If IE8 (urgh) had the speed and UI cleanliness Chrome looks to have I'd probably give that serious consideration as well. It doesn't.

Honestly I think it's because most people don't think of Google as being the big scary corporate beast that Microsoft is, yet.

I personally wouldn't use Gmail, and I certainly wouldn't use Google Checkout. Nor will I be using their browser for anything other than compatibility testing. I don't like them knowing what I'm searching for, but I really wouldn't want one company to have access to my web history, email, online purchases and card information, and (and just for tinfoil hat special effect: ) satellite and aerial photos of my house.

I don't trust my government to look after the information they've got about me (and they've proved me right with all the high-profile data losses recently) and - tax and health records aside - Google probably know more about their most trusting users than their own governments do.
Posting using Chrome. Not sure I like the general feel of it, or the weird layout, but maybe I'd get used to it...

But as Kev says I'm not a huge fan of giving companies my info quite so readily - Google already know enough about me already.
#50 - wien
Quote from thisnameistaken :Honestly I think it's because most people don't think of Google as being the big scary corporate beast that Microsoft is, yet.

Could be, but I don't quite see how using Chrome exposes me any more than using Firefox, IE or Opera. They all have integrated search, and they all collect your search information to target ads your way.

Like you I trust Google about as far as I can throw them (which, despite my muscular keyboard fingers, isn't very far), but I wouldn't let that stop me from using Chrome if it turns out all right. Gmail and desktop search though...

Google chrome
(203 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG