The online racing simulator
Server status..Can it be done ?
(17 posts, closed, started )
#1 - sun
Hi,

I came to a question about Server Status in an msg message in-game. When ia user types !status for example, it will show a message with the server name, and the 'Online' or 'Offline' message. It will either show if the server is online, a message saying 'Online' And if the server is offline, it will display 'Offline'. I know it can be done in php but can you do it in C# ?

Thanks

Owen.
Of course it can.
#3 - sun
How ?
With Code.

More elaborately - with lots of code.
By combining the availability of pubstat with the knowledge of a programmer.
But Android, you say that pubstats are difficult! But they're a simple manner of putting together a URL using a GET method and parsing them! How can this be?!
Because it involves the utilization of Google to find tutorials and instructions on how to generate a web request with C# and how to receive its response. Furthermore, parsing the response requires basic knowledge of string splitting or XML reading, depending on what format you chose. Do not underestimate the complexity of such a simple task!
You are very brave indeed, good sir!
#11 - sun
Thank you very much with your help!

But there is still one question... do you have to retreive it from a website ?
#12 - sun
Gee, guess what C# libraries compile into...

You're supposed to include it in your program's references and then use the provided classes and methods to access pubstat, of which I posted a link explaining everything earlier.
if I am understanding what Sun wants, then no it can't be done. Server needs to be online to display a message. Not being smart ass, this thread already has way to much of that. (but it was funny, but also mean)
Dygear, just a question for you, and please don't take this as a attack but observation and curiosity.

The original author of this post and all ppl trying to help the original author really deserve to be treated sarcastically like you do?

I mean if you think what you say, why just don't pass over? since your far from helping but in fact destroying someone "Self Aware", you can't say no to this, anyone Wave to Anyone into the manner he chooses.

Im just curious and trying to get use to some ppl talking onto this forum... i mean we really need to walk on fresh egg sometime, to be sure no one will treat us as we are poor stupid guys.

This is bad idea, since we all have something together as brother we love LFS.

And this is for the original author... I'm not really sure what you really need, but as Dygear say, a server can't receive or send network Packet if is offline, so maybe you think in a solution where you have a Group of server let say 5 server.

When on one server a player enter "!status" they gave status of the Group of server.
This is already Done into Drive_LFSS project , i remember "Forcemagic" doing a command for this, and Drive_LFSS project is made to maintain a Group of server and not just one server, project is still into development, but i think you can already use it, for this without any big modification, and if Mod are needed, i will be please to add Feature Requested by you, if possible! and if you let me time to make it off course

On this which good day!

P.S. Dygear, remember was not personal, since i'm here i wanted to ask this question to ppl waving like you, and seem she fall on you!
As far as I understood he wants to view the status of another server while connected to the server where his InSim application is running. This is very well possible, since it just involves the program sending a web request to LFSW, parsing the response and displaying the results to the user ingame.

Now, displaying the status of the very server he is connected to would be quite nonsensical, wouldn't it? I did give him the benefit of the doubt that this is not what he wanted. However, AFAIK an InSim application (when run locally) can also read messages while not connected to a server, so there it could even work if he just typed a chat message anywhere in the game to check the server status. However, if this is quicker than going to the server list and checking for yourself stands to question.

If you knew Sun's history here then you'd understand the sarcasm involved. And after all we did give information on how to accomplish this without outright posting copy&paste-able code, so I don't quite understand what your problem is.
SUN, USE YOUR OWN BRAIN FOR A CHANGE - WE ARE ALL TIRED OF DOING ALL ThE THINKING FOR YOU.

Geez man, first you PM people and then you post the same question here ...

After ALL the advice you're given this year, you STILL don't know how to grab some data from an url and parse it?

Dude, please stop harassing us with your questions. This is the only time I'm going to say it. Further questions will be treated as spam.
It's hard for me to say this, because I like enthusiastic folks, but you mate, I'm sorry you've just become annoying.
This thread is closed

(17 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG