The online racing simulator
Riding the Clutch?
(9 posts, started )
Riding the Clutch?
Haven't found a thread about this yet, so I thought I might add it. I think there should be clutch wear if you keep a minute amount of pressure on the clutch, like in real life, where it disengages the clutch partially and causes disc wear. Thoughts?
When clutch wear is implemented I'm sure this will happen. As it is you need a fair amount of slip to generate any meaningful heat, so you won't notice the temperature bar moving much due to it. But it would, nevertheless, heat up in the current patch.
Would be interesting if you kept cars for longer than 1 race. Possibly useful for endurance races, however clutch heat is simulating this to the point of what would happen during a track day event. I mean certainly you can wear out your clutch but can that really happen within a few laps? I am under the impression that your clutch would heat up and just constantly slip with minimal wear to the plate. Certainly there would always be some wear even when slipping due to heat, but could you really destroy a racing clutch within a track day. (Or a typical daily driver clutch for that matter).

It could be interesting if this actually can occur in real life. However there would need to be major part replacement if you did the during an event, or be out for good... Hmm yea I am undecided depending on reality!
True about it being pointless for short races. But makes the sim more realistic nonetheless, and It would be pretty cool to have it for endurance races, would add challenge and skill to use the clutch properly.
#5 - ajp71
Wear isn't really an issue on a racing clutch, so long as there is nothing wrong with it you should get at least a couple of seasons out of a racing clutch (at which point you'd rebuild it anyway). If the clutch isn't abused excessively the most common thing to go wrong is either for the release mechanism to develop a fault or for the plates to crack during cooling after a race.
Yeah but you have to remember, only about half of the cars in LFS are "racing" cars.
Quote from SidiousX :Yeah but you have to remember, only about half of the cars in LFS are "racing" cars.

If I was entering actual races with my road car, I would surely put something better than a stock clutch in it.

We aren't taking our daily drivers to the track for track days here. We are doing full on racing.
Don't you think live for speed cars(not single seater/GTR's....) are mainly stock though?
#9 - ajp71
Quote from SidiousX :Don't you think live for speed cars(not single seater/GTR's....) are mainly stock though?

Most production racing cars will have full race clutches (or will be free to do so under rules). Some cars do run completely standard clutches without issue though, excessive wear and heat aren't an issue when racing with a road clutch, the issue is normally having a strong enough clutch to take the power (which shouldn't be an issue with standard engines/stock cars).

Riding the Clutch?
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG