The online racing simulator
Quote from Bean0 :I'm looking for some sort of script to make a nice easy album type thing...know of any ?

This should be all the photos - www.bean0.com/karting/allpics.zip

A few days ago I found this: (<50kB, only needs an xml file and a small html, the rest is flash. the only downside is, that it arranges the thumbs randomly every time you reload the page in the free version, but I thought it looks nice)

http://www.airtightinteractive.com/projects/postcardviewer/

edit: they have other free viewers where you can arrange the thumbs iirc: http://www.airtightinteractive.com/viewers/

It's totally easy, I did this with it:

http://turtlepics.rediske.de
Quote from Mike Bingo :Did anyone buy Victor a beer?

And did you manage to lure out of him some interesting information about LFS? I feel that I know way too little about how the team works, how they arrange things inbetween themselves and all that stuff.. that's what I would ask Victor about if I met him. (I'd imagine he could talk about general stuff like that without feeling pressed to reveal secrets about future plans etc..?)
Quote from Gnomie :And did you manage to lure out of him some interesting information about LFS? I feel that I know way too little about how the team works, how they arrange things inbetween themselves and all that stuff.. that's what I would ask Victor about if I met him. (I'd imagine he could talk about general stuff like that without feeling pressed to reveal secrets about future plans etc..?)

I'd rather just talk about racing, that's why we where there afterall ! We did get to see some vids of the new VW though, apparently a little slower than the TBO's. There might be some new stuff for LFS World coming, but he turned down my request for having the Pride flag on my forum posts!
in the last Strobe's photo, who is who...
so when do we get the thread LFS Karting meet 2009 opened and i will try and make the next one If its in spain, im not driving to the uk or flyingtheres a nice track in Benidorm ( i suppose youve heard of it ) ill find some pics when possible , i might organise a spanish one yet .
Finally got back from the Toon, would have been back sooner, but the train was delayed just outside Dalwhinnie due to sheep on the tracks.......only in the Highlands

Anyway, just want to say I had a blast (helped by the £120 poker win the night before), everything seemed to run very smoothly and credit has to go to Ben (Bob) for that. The track was a great choice, I'm just glad i kept it on the track, although at times I was more Tokyo drifter rather than F1 racer. It was great to get to meet a lot of the fellas (and Lassies) and again thanks Bean0 for the lift.

BTW, in the group photo, I should be really easy to spot

EDIT: Great photo's guys
Pics now in Gallery for easy viewing...

Gallery
Quote from Bob Smith :STROBE - any chance of an archive link to download them all? Likewise Bean0 I don't fancy opening up 120 tabs.

Yeah I can zip em up, just looking for somewhere to host it that continues to give me control over it.

Quote from Bob :Oh and a high res photo of the group shot would be great too. Cheers!

I take it for the purposes of labelling people? I've already started to do that yesterday, and got most people done but embarassingly got stuck when it came to a lot of the [SR] team - sorry guys!

I forgot to mention that when we were at the pub afterwards, Victor showed us a couple of photos & videos he took from the Games Convention, which looked quite cool. Thanks Victor, although I bet you had LFS installed on there too with the Scirocco in.

Thanks to Ben for organising it all. It all went very smoothly, which is a credit when you consider how far some people had come and all the different travelling/sleeping/arrival/departure combinations!
I can spare the space if you need it hun?
I thoroughly enjoyed myself on Saturday. Thanks to 'Bob' for organising , I had a great time - sorry for keeping you up until 5am!
Some of us just fell asleep anyway
Cheers for putting me up Ben. Cheers to everyone else for leaving me in your dust! Great event - thoroughly enjoyed myself (even though I look like a veteran torturer in that group photo - jesus... don't label it, blur it please!!)
Quote from STROBE :
I take it for the purposes of labelling people? I've already started to do that yesterday, and got most people done but embarassingly got stuck when it came to a lot of the [SR] team - sorry guys!

We're all wearing our team shirts, so from left to right:

Ken O (KayJay), Jason L (JasonL220), Jason M (Turkey - in the red shirt and shades), Mark M, Andrew L (at the back) and Keith M (the baldy at the back)
Great time had by me. Nice to meet you all, everyone was nice and the atmosphere was really good. A big thanks to Ben (Bob) for organising and being such a great host. Sorry to keep you up so late mate
Quote from AlienT. :Are you sure that's Thomas? I reckon it's Nick Heidfeld....the beard gives it away. Nick/Thomas you should be in bloody Valencia man!

Heidfeld, eh? Why thank you, I suppose we both fancy our beards.

Regarding the difference in karts: Something obviously must've been going on. I've heard reports on drivers going flat out through corners where it would've been impossible for me to do the same. It really is a shame, it would've been so much more fun winning if I knew we were all in equal karts.

Other than that I had a splendid time. Thanks to Ben and everyone else for taking such good care of me. 'Twas very nice meeting all of you!
Quote from felplacerad :
Regarding the difference in karts: Something obviously must've been going on. I've heard reports on drivers going flat out through corners where it would've been impossible for me to do the same. It really is a shame, it would've been so much more fun winning if I knew we were all in equal karts.

I was getting overtaken by people 4 stone heavier than me on all the straights, and was 3 seconds a lap slower than you, and believe me I was pushing as fast as my Kart would go. That doesn't take away from your excellent victory though
Quote from felplacerad :Heidfeld, eh? Why thank you, I suppose we both fancy our beards.

Other than that I had a splendid time. Thanks to Ben and everyone else for taking such good care of me. 'Twas very nice meeting all of you!

hehe that's the nature of the beast 'corporate karting' Kart used everyday by noobs everyday are going to get bent

Especially at somewhere like Warden Law which isn't really 100% ideal for rental karts. At least when you at some sh!tty indoor place you can drive through the problems by being a complete nutter, but not so at WL

But you had fun and that's the main thing
I think my kart was fine, I was just crap. Although I did seem to have a big problem with that chicane were the was the water on the inside entry and then mud on the track on the exit. If I went as fast as everyone else was going, I either got very sideways or spun out completely.

With more laps we would have all got closer laptimes, which would have made for more interesting racing, but that's always a problem when you're in a kart that's subtly different to one you've driven before, and on a fresh track. Looking at the graphs of everyones laps, people were still chipping away at their times, and everyone set their fastest laps in the last few laps (considering we all did around 50 laps).

Also I think everytime we have been karting, somebody gets a not so great kart. It's just one of the pitfalls of rental kart racing.

I don't suppose anyone took any photos of us at the pub? I had my camera in my bag but totally forgot to take it out. Would be nice to show everyone the crowd around Vic and his laptop. And where's this large labelled photo Ian?! Or just generally more photos of me.

Jason - I'm all for you guys sorting out next years event in Wales, plus it should be a refreshing change to drive karts in the inevitibly constant drizzle you get over there. Let me know if you should need a hand with anything at some point.

Thomas - it was a fun 3 days with you, keep in touch man.

Quote from Intrepid :At least when you at some sh!tty indoor place you can drive through the problems by being a complete nutter

Actually I'm glad there was nobody acting like that.
Quote :Regarding the difference in karts: Something obviously must've been going on. I've heard reports on drivers going flat out through corners where it would've been impossible for me to do the same.

For me it was:

T1 - right: flat
T2 - right: ease off
T3 - sharp right/left: brake
T4 - left: brake (I took this corner easy because of standing water)
T5 - left: short brake, full throttle on/before turn in
T6 - right: flat
T7 - right/left/right chicane: mommentary brake then flat
T8 - right hairpin: long braking
T9 left sequence: 2 or 3 mommentary easing off to ~50% in middle
T10 - right: flat

Rentals are about as 'even' as any thing else. Yes there is disparity because your dealing with heavily used, different physical units and some will have been bashed and banged etc.

Though I think that unless the kart is actually broken experienced drivers will adapt within the capabilities of their skill scope though, for me i'm ok aslong as I dont have too much oversteer - provided my arms are not working too hard i'll always be there or there abouts regardless of the kart. It'll make the difference of a few tenths at most.
I didn't need to brake at all except for 1 corner. My Karts accelleration was so slow I never picked up enough speed to need to brake much. Also Bob was one of the guys overtaking me on all the straights, I only finished ahead of him due to him spinning. I have been karting quite a few times and have always been on the same pace as the winners, this time I was 3 seconds down when pushing like crazy. @ Becky, you went passed me at the long straight so quickly when qualifying that I soon realised someting was wrong. Just wish I had asked for a change. It was certainly ALOT more than a few tenths. Another example is ebola. He has been to that track before and he was doing laps 7 seconds slower than the leaders and 4 seconds slower than he did before...

I will talk to the local karting centre near me, its Llandow btw if anyone knows of it. I can probably put up around 10 people in my house, which is about 1 hour drive from the karting centre.. I will find out more and report back.
Someone host one in Canada and I will beet you all

Quote from Becky Rose :For me it was:

T1 - right: flat
T2 - right: ease off
T3 - sharp right/left: brake
T4 - left: brake (I took this corner easy because of standing water)
T5 - left: short brake, full throttle on/before turn in
T6 - right: flat
T7 - right/left/right chicane: mommentary brake then flat
T8 - right hairpin: long braking
T9 left sequence: 2 or 3 mommentary easing off to ~50% in middle
T10 - right: flat

Rentals are about as 'even' as any thing else. Yes there is disparity because your dealing with heavily used, different physical units and some will have been bashed and banged etc.

Though I think that unless the kart is actually broken experienced drivers will adapt within the capabilities of their skill scope though, for me i'm ok aslong as I dont have too much oversteer - provided my arms are not working too hard i'll always be there or there abouts regardless of the kart. It'll make the difference of a few tenths at most.

Obviously youve never been in a really bad kart then. Like Jason said, if a motor is gone bad/needs a rebuild itll take easily 3-4seconds off at a track with a couple longer(ish) straits.
That does sound like an actual fault.

Though when it comes to qualifying I sortah went past everyone at quite a lick ! *smug grin* With those engine covers you cant reach the restrictors, else it'd have been even faster :P
Quote from racer hero :Someone host one in Canada and I will beet you all

Pfft it would be my first time yet you'd still regret having chellenged me.
#49 - SamH
Did I hear correctly, that a bunch of largely non-karting sim racers turned up at some NE karting track, recently, and collectively got within spitting distance of the circuit regulars' best laptimes within something like their first ever 50 laps? Surely that's not right, is it?
Quote :Obviously youve never been in a really bad kart then

As I said, 'unless it is actually broken'. My solution to that is get it fixed.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG