The online racing simulator
Local Host
(6 posts, started )
Local Host
Today me and my freind decided to make a local server for us to both race on. I created the server placing my ip address for my pc, by cmd, ipconfig /all. The server created ok but when my freind who tried to connect by going to join specific host and placing my ip and press connect it dosent work it says could not connect. Why is this when i went to his house and did the same thing but on his internet connection and it work. Why does it work when both of us are on the same connection but not when we are both on different. Please help we have been trying ages to get this to work.

Thanks
The first step is understanding what Local Area Network means.
Thanks for the quick reply that first guide was the one that made it work when i was round his house but we did exactly the same thing but using a different ip address and internet connections and it dosen't work.
So...you couldn't connect to your LAN server from your friends house? :doh:

LAN (Local Area Network) is for computers that are physically connected to each other, usually through the same router or switch. But there has to be a physical line of contact between them, even if it's wireless. IE, if you lived right next door to your friend, you could both join the same wireless network and be on the same LAN. But when you're on different networks, you need to connect through the internet.

Or, you could set up a WAN, using VPN or something to link the two LANs together. But internet is easiest
Don't use the local network option, unless both computers are on the same local network.

If you want to join a host over the internet, but do not want it to appear in the list of hosts, use the "hidden" option. Then join by name instead of IP address.

Local Host
(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG