The online racing simulator
Cycling through car horns
(3 posts, started )
At the moment it appears that the game cycles through HORN1.raw to HORN5.raw when you press SHIFT+G, then starts the loop again at HORN1.

I've recently created a custom horn sound for a friend; using it in the game requires that one of the existing horn files be replaced (duly backed up first) and that the new file is renamed to be one of the HORN1-5 files.

What I'd like to see is the game engine scan the /snd directory when loading up to discover how many HORNx.raw are present in it, and then cycle though them accordingly. Thus, I could name the new file HORN6.raw and subsequently pressing SHIFT+G would cycle through 6 horn sounds without needing to overwrite any existing ones.

[slight digression time]
A few relevant points occur to me:
This would allow for 9 horn sounds, which is surely plenty for anyone. To extend it, it would be tidier to have a two digit integer for each horn file (HORN01.raw, HORN02.raw, etc).

The other point is of course the possibility of sharing custom sound files in a similar way to sharing car skins. At the moment only my friend can hear the custom horn (which is fine). For someone else to hear it they'd need the same sound file (which makes sense, obviously) plus it would have to be renamed as the same HORNx.raw file to hear it at the same time.

However... is sharing sound files like this desirable on a larger scale? They'd need to be uniquely named (like skins) for it to work (otherwise everyone would be overwriting everyone else's HORN06 and HORN07!). Plus, more likely to be a problem would be the ability to use the function for abuse.
[/end of slight digression]

But... Getting back to the original point:
Please can we have a system where custom car horn sounds can be added as HORN6.raw or HORN06.raw etc, or by filename? (The latter would probably require a dedicated directory so that car horn .raw files are identifiable as such by the game engine.)
#2 - Vesa
Personally i wouldn't go for this. Horns are horns, think of how many silly simpsons/south park/whatnot "horns" there'll be after that. The current horns are silly enough IMHO.
i want the stebel nautilus horn haha or the mitsuba electric horn but theres two that already sound like it in the game.

(3 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG