That thing is huge.
and another object for terrorists
Quote from Scrabby :and another object for terrorists

sad but true

that thing is like "MASSIVELY BIG "
Feel sorry for the window cleaners.
haha but there are automatic robots nowadays i believe
WoW, I wanna have a flat at the top of it
Wouldn't that twoer sway in the wind? And thats about a half mile in the air hopefully 10m a sec is fast for their elevators....
Quote from scoobyrbac :Wouldn't that twoer sway in the wind? And thats about a half mile in the air hopefully 10m a sec is fast for their elevators....

They're going to be 18m/s (40mph) according to the website.
Quote from scoobyrbac :Wouldn't that twoer sway in the wind?

That's the reason why it has such a design. It is said that due to its design, the wind changes its direction and the tower won't deformate.
$4000,- per square foot of office space, that's nice
Quote from beefyman666 :They're going to be 18m/s (40mph) according to the website.

hopefully they dont takeoff and stop all of the sudden...
almost 1 km high? dang... noize!
WOW!!!! Incredible.....
Holy crap that's tall! I wonder who gets the penthouse.
Quote from Luke.S :Allow me to say: HOLY SHIT

That thing is huge.

That's my line, but I agree
At the top you'd probably expect anything up to a couple of metres deflection, but as that is spread over a long length (essentially from the bottom, but it's not quite that simple as it's not a uniformly distributed or point load as per classical cantilever bending theory) the material stresses due to bending/shear/torsion etc will be managable.

The problem is compressive strength, and the abilty of the foundations to take that bending load.

Very impressive engineering.

Just be wary of 747s flying nearly. They might be carrying millions of tonnes of Thermite (or Marmite)
when i first saw that picture i thought it was the new sim city

i wanna doing a bungee jump from the top of that "thing"
#20 - mr_x
It's about 10m higher than it was when I was in Dubai nearly 2 years ago. Their builders are building so much that things are done very very slowly!!

I've been to Dubai once, never again will I go there, I hated the place, felt threatened by the people and the place is just a massive building site/dump.
Quote from mr_x :It's about 10m higher than it was when I was in Dubai nearly 2 years ago. Their builders are building so much that things are done very very slowly!!

I don't imagine that it is easy to build something when you are 800 meters above the ground.
Quote from mr_x :It's about 10m higher than it was when I was in Dubai nearly 2 years ago. Their builders are building so much that things are done very very slowly!!

I've been to Dubai once, never again will I go there, I hated the place, felt threatened by the people and the place is just a massive building site/dump.

When it's finished though, your great-great-great grandkids will have a wonderful time at Disneyland Arabs
i would feel sorry for anyone who fell off the top of that thing
Quote from mutt107 :i would feel sorry for anyone who fell off the top of that thing

Speak of the Devil
#25 - JJ72
no difference, human reach its terminal velocity at about 15 story high. the rest is just sightseeing

The Burj-Dubai skyscraper
(81 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG