The online racing simulator
2 Sound Systems??
(21 posts, started )
2 Sound Systems??
Hi,

Well since my older compter blew up a couple of months ago, I kept some parts from it and now I'd like to plug the two sound systems together. Is there a way to do so?
#2 - J@tko
I may be completely stupid here but hasn't your computer got two sound out ports for you to plug them into?

EDIT: Yes I think I am - ignore me.
-
(speedway) DELETED by speedway
#3 - Jakg
"Sound Systems"?

Do you mean 2 sound cards? If so, yes it will work.
I meant 2 'green plugs on the same PC' and speedway answered my question. Oh well I guess I'll buy one of those.

/topic

I recently made my own surround sound system using 3 old sets of speakers. Wired them to run from the one plug, put the audio controls and a master switch into a new box, and there ya go, surround sound for a tenner

Still missing a decent sub-woofer for bass notes, using a huge fugly speaker hiding under the bed at the moment. Works, but it's just not right

The computer (assuming you're not using the most basic of on-boards sound) should have 3 ports out (that you need anyway). One for surround, one for center, and one for front. I put 2 speakers into a couple of nooks and crannies behind my chair (pics tomorrow, also building the new pc!), and they're surround. 2 sit either side of my chair, for front. And one small one sits behind the monitor for center. It's not the most ideal of setups, but it functions as surround sound, and I can't afford a decent alternative at the moment
[quote=dougie-lampkin;887265]The computer (assuming you're not using the most basic of on-boards sound) should have 3 ports out (that you need anyway)./quote]

Well I guess I'm using the most basic of on-boards sound because I can only have one system plugged in my PC. When I plug both, one of them wont work (the one not in the 'green hole')
Are you sure one isn't a headphones port? They should be coloured yellow, black, and green...
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Are you sure one isn't a headphones port? They should be coloured yellow, black, and green...

Not here in canada? Here the speakers have a green end to the plug.
They're universal, there's 3 different plugs. Surround is yellow (I think), centre is black (I think!) and front is green. Look at the colours on this mobo. That's what I mean
Nah I dont have this and I doubt that we in Canada have this, well the majority that is. Never saw 9 plugs in the back of my computer.
Quote from Riders Motion :Nah I dont have this and I doubt that we in Canada have this, well the majority that is. Never saw 9 plugs in the back of my computer.

You'll just have a very basic sound card. My old computer also only had two plugs, one for speakers, one for headphones.

I wish I had the room to put a surround system, but my dvd one is already hogging up the place and I can't connect it to my pc (only stereo or faked surround).
K I think he's talking about speakers (2 speakers not 5.1 surround or watever) and all I know is that here we have 1 plug that goes to the computer and its green. No 3 plugs or watever (my PS2 has that :P). That might be for surround sound but definetly dont have that on my speakers.
Quote from evilpimp :K I think he's talking about speakers (2 speakers not 5.1 surround or watever) and all I know is that here we have 1 plug that goes to the computer and its green. No 3 plugs or watever (my PS2 has that :P). That might be for surround sound but definetly dont have that on my speakers.

Green = stereo
All the other colours are for surround sound.

If you just want to add speakers to your system, you just need one of those plugs shown earlier, and all done. But it won't be surround, just stereo through more speakers.
But my point was if you leave it set up as a normal stereo setup, and plug your second set into one of the surround ports, it'll function as a second set of speakers. It'll only come through as 5.1 if you set it that way in windows
Quote from dougie-lampkin :I recently made my own surround sound system using 3 old sets of speakers. Wired them to run from the one plug, put the audio controls and a master switch into a new box, and there ya go, surround sound for a tenner

That's not surround sound... That's only 2 channel sound.
Nope, it has 3 different speaker sets. Front, side and back. That is surround sound, isn't it?
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Nope, it has 3 different speaker sets.

Yes, but it's still 2 channels

Quote from dougie-lampkin :Front, side and back. That is surround sound, isn't it?

Not if it's only coming from two channels of sound. The sound playing out of all of your left speakers is identical. The sound playing out of all of your right speakers is identical. That's two channels of sound.
But it isn't? It's in 3 different ports, each with it's own channel. If I play a movie that has surround sound, and turn off the front speakers only, there's no dialog. It is surround sound. Playing normal stereo music or whatever, there are only 2 channels though...
Quote from dougie-lampkin :But it isn't? It's in 3 different ports, each with it's own channel.

That's not what you said! You said this earlier:

Quote from dougie-lampkin : Wired them to run from the one plug,

Which is it, 3 ports or one? If it's in 3 different ports, then it is surround sound. If it's in one port it is not. You said it was in one port. So I responded to that post. Sounds like you need to re-write your original post.
I meant mains power plug

2 Sound Systems??
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG