Hello!

I just got my new PC,
AMD dual core with vista 32 and geforce gtx 280

but whenever I run LFS it reboots after a few minutes,
seemingly randomly, I once managed to be online for 10 minutes

the PC runs rFactor and Race07 without problems

I havee also tried to run LFS as admin but no difference

any ideas?
Try to reinstall/redownload LFS... check your memmory maybe? Did you installed the vista patches(Service packs)?
-
(MonkOnHotTinRoof) DELETED by MonkOnHotTinRoof
#3 - Jakg
ANY AMD and a GTX280 =
Quote from Jakg :ANY AMD and a GTX280 =

Don't need that in this thread, bottlenecking is a different problem. Try checking the temps on your card.
Quote from h3adbang3r :Try checking the temps on your card.

other progs work, he says. i think it is something isolated to LFS.

do you use the exact same hardware in all games?
#6 - dadge
Quote from Jakg :ANY AMD and a GTX280 =

you and i both know that's a shit statement to make. i have a 4800 duel core not OC'd(939) and i can play every game you play. oh and i'm still using DDR1. not everyone likes the stuff you like. you know like that BSOD box you have.
As first ensure you are using latest drivers for your motherboard, CPU (Cool n' Quiet), graphics etc. Then look at CPU temps (you can use i.e. http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php to do so).

If it's still a no go, disable Cool n' Quiet feature in BIOS. It is known to cause problems, particularly on new AMD Phenom CPUs. It also might be a DEP feature of Windows XP SP2 and above (so Vista has it as well) which simply disables execution of some programs on a hardware level when system thinks it might be harmful. Link below refers to page describing how to set DEP to force off. (http://www.realtime-vista.com/ ... _data_execution_preve.htm)
#8 - Jakg
Quote from dadge :you and i both know that's a shit statement to make. i have a 4800 duel core not OC'd(939) and i can play every game you play. oh and i'm still using DDR1. not everyone likes the stuff you like. you know like that BSOD box you have.

I'm sure it can play games but the point is the best GFX card out right now matched up with a dual core seems a little silly as the AMD will hold back the graphics card...
Quote from Jakg :the AMD will hold back the graphics card...

care to back that up with numbers?
#10 - Jakg
Seeing as I don't even know what CPU it is, no.
Just drop it Jack, and do anything you can to help him with his problem at hand.
erm the phenom? this would still be the bottleneck? this is something i do not believe. do you think he is going to buy a high end card and a low-mid end amd?
#13 - Jakg
It's a dual core AMD - which means it's a K8. Very good CPU's, but a little slow compared to the GTX280...

EDIT - I'm not an Intel fanboy, i'm an AMD fan (not fanboy) through and through...
Does it reset when you do a specific command? like entering a specific menu? or is it random? Are you sure you are running the latest LFS version? Try to run LFS and check the temps on VGA and CPU, CPU usage maybe? could be a corrupted file, or maybe you screwed up the update (like, you were using Y then patched Y24, got an error maybe)
thank you for answering

the processors are AMD Athlon64 X2 6000+

I have speedfan running and it looks like this

Temp1 27C
Temp2 23C
Temp3 79C
Core 21C

and there is also a little fireicon at Temp3,
I don't know where that temperature is located,
but I will call the shops support again....

The reboots seem to happen randomly, I'm not doing
any thing special, sometimes driving and sometimes not

I have also had reboots while playing java-site games in the
browser, so it's not isolated to LFS only

just waiting for their support to open...
Quote from Jakg :It's a dual core AMD - which means it's a K8. Very good CPU's, but a little slow compared to the GTX280...

since you do not even try to prove what you say, i have to say you are talking out of your ass. (set aside you are comparing CPUs to GPUS. and every single goddamn CPU out there is worthless as far as computational power is concerned. ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE slower.)

Quote :The reboots seem to happen randomly, I'm not doing
any thing special, sometimes driving and sometimes not

is there maybe a fan not working? a heatsink that has come off?
Does the Temp3 readout vary as you change CPU load? It should raise when your CPU is stressed (gaming, watching videos) and fall when it's idle. If it is stuck at 79 degrees all the time, it might be just a false reading. What does your Core temperature do when CPU stressed/idle?

GTX280 is very hungry in terms of power consumption, so it might be your PSU (Power Supply Unit) which is unable to provide enough power for your system and therefore causes random reboots. Check what type of PSU you have.
well, the supportguy told me to reformat and reinstall

so I did and now the PC doesn't work at all,
the fans and LEDs are on but monitor is completely black.

So I have to get it back to the store for the second time
since I got it 2 weeks ago....
probaly have to wait a week again...
I hope good things happends to those who can wait....
Sometimes i wish to buy a laptop, they just seem to have less problems...
But yeah, good luck with it.
for all yo amd fanboys who think a phenom isnt bottlenecking your graphics cards. read through this and make sure you read the whole 10 pages and then come back and tell me your amd cpu isnt bottlenecking your graphics card.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/f ... d.php?t=197423&page=1
Quote from natedog420 :for all yo amd fanboys who think a phenom isnt bottlenecking your graphics cards. read through this and make sure you read the whole 10 pages and then come back and tell me your amd cpu isnt bottlenecking your graphics card.

Enough of the AMD vs Intel BS. Not helping the OP in the least bit!

Rolle, check your heatsink contact, redownload graphics drivers, and post back here with the results.
Quote from h3adbang3r :Enough of the AMD vs Intel BS. Not helping the OP in the least bit!

Exactly. We all know Intel > AMD (jokes)

On topic, any update?
Quote from natedog420 :for all yo amd fanboys who think a phenom isnt bottlenecking your graphics cards. read through this and make sure you read the whole 10 pages and then come back and tell me your amd cpu isnt bottlenecking your graphics card.

this thread was 9 days old until you decided it's time yo unleash your secret weapon............your comedy timing. way to go. now go back to your sandbox and make a few more castles. good boy.

EDIT:
you really should think of the intel v's amd as needs over costs.
#25 - Jakg
I'm sure AMD CPU's are very good but tbh Intel has covered the range from £31 (E1200) all the way up to £250 (E8600)...

I don't know what AMD can do next - K10 was supposed to fight back at Core 2 and it failed and I doubt the next architecture will beat Nehalem - they should (imo) focus on less heat and conquer the laptop market and try to add decent GFX solutions...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG