The online racing simulator
Insim type thingy...
(4 posts, started )
Insim type thingy...
Ok here it is, the newest "laugh at stoney thread"...

I just need to know if something like the following is possible whatsoever..

Application that will allow server admins to see the in race chat (and server messages), and will allow server admins to talk back when not in the server. – Ability to control lfs would be nice too.

And anyone know how, as I havent a clue, everytime i go to try and learn something like this it completly baffles me..

Clueless...Obviously!
Yes, it is possible. The server sends like every message you'd see as you were ingame through InSim, thus making it possible to read all the chat going on, as well as messages (votes, pits, other messages...).

Also it is possible to chat back as the "host". Where "host" is the actual "PlayerName" in the cfg.txt of the server (not the HostName) iirc. A utility would also be able to change a wide variety of server settings (e.g. kick/ban, restart, end race, change track, laps, ...).

...anyway, didn't laugh about your thread at all :P
-
(MonkOnHotTinRoof) DELETED by MonkOnHotTinRoof
Cool, cheers for the answers ( and not for laughing ), can anyone provide any kinda tips on starting something like this?

Again clueless
Basically pick a language - if you're never used a language where you have to manage memory before, dont go for C or any of its subsets. I would recommend Python, however. Its very nice and cross platform. The alternative is one of the .NET languages.

Basically you need to learn / understand sockets, or an InSim library, and strap it all together with a GUI, which is relatively easy with both Python and .NET. I know there is / was a python insim library floating around RSC, but I dont know how upto date it is. I also believe that theres a few .NET libraries around too - LFS.Live for example.

Insim type thingy...
(4 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG