The online racing simulator
Bogey Jammer's Portfolio
(15 posts, started )
Bogey Jammer's Portfolio
Here are my photorealistic tries
All the pictures are modeled with Blender and rendered with Indigo unless specified.

Now the pictures:

enjoy!
The Real XRT
MuHaha

This is my first attempt to get the most realistic as possible render for a LFS car. I think they are too much "low poly", and even with the great Indigo renderer, my renders looked not enough sweet. So I decided to remake the XRT, adding more polygons, created custom rims and enhanced light parts.
But what you see is actually 40% of that I wanted to make, there are obstacle to my work:
  1. It took several hours to make this, and required about three times more to achieve my goal, but it's absolutely too much for me and the other details which are lacking cost too much time for little visual result. So, there are no window wipers, no exhaust texture, the tire tread sucks, and the whole interior is set to black. I wanted to remake it but the patch Z was released and Scawen great work stopped me. Some other parts are unfinished or missing too.
  2. The car is fictional; this mean that some architecture details made my work difficult, like the windshield integration, rear lateral window (optical distorsion), the trunk opening is nonsense, tails lights are too big...
  3. Blender "Subsurf" smoothing technique is not very good for car modeling and requires tricks; there are some light mesh foldings on some parts, like the front of the hood. I admit that 3dsmax smooth algorithm is much better and easier to use.
This is the white one, actually the first of the three rendered:

I don't like it very much because there's too much white and it's not very impressive...
Quote from Bogey Jammer :MuHaha

This is my first attempt to get the most realistic as possible render for a LFS car. I think they are too much "low poly", and even with the great Indigo renderer, my renders looked not enough sweet. So I decided to remake the XRT, adding more polygons, created custom rims and enhanced light parts.
But what you see is actually 40% of that I wanted to make, there are obstacle to my work:
  1. It took several hours to make this, and required about three times more to achieve my goal, but it's absolutely too much for me and the other details which are lacking cost too much time for little visual result. So, there are no window wipers, no exhaust texture, the tire tread sucks, and the whole interior is set to black. I wanted to remake it but the patch Z was released and Scawen great work stopped me. Some other parts are unfinished or missing too.
  2. The car is fictional; this mean that some architecture details made my work difficult, like the windshield integration, rear lateral window (optical distorsion), the trunk opening is nonsense, tails lights are too big...
  3. Blender "Subsurf" smoothing technique is not very good for car modeling and requires tricks; there are some light mesh foldings on some parts, like the front of the hood. I admit that 3dsmax smooth algorithm is much better and easier to use.
This is the white one, actually the first of the three rendered:

I don't like it very much because there's too much white and it's not very impressive...

I think it's great
It looks great imo.
Grrrrr8
They look awesome.
I have just started modeling thx to ure help nothing good enough to make my own show room:P
Wow! And that's done in Blender too? Impressive indeed.
realy awesome work there
too bad i can't make renders like that, because i cant get the Indigo to work. maybe u could help me out ,Bogey Jammer?
Those renders are done with Global Illuminations.
I thought you prefer using few lights in the scene and not wanting AO switch on because it can render faster...
Global Illumination = high quality lighting render, and it will take very long to render (a lot longer than setting few lights only). I think if Bogey tells you how long it took to render each image, you may freaked out
However, it is worth the wait.

Well done Bogey. They are very nice renders.
Thanks mates

Quote from samyip :I think if Bogey tells you how long it took to render each image, you may freaked out

GweHehe :insane: 50-60 hours each (with my 1.6GHz dual core laptop, but it would be much faster with the last quad core plus a small home render farm)
It is quite frustrating to wait before posting the renders and I have to wait 35 hours to see if the render is correctly set up, otherwise it's deleted and I must restart the render from zero.
Patience is required but experience grows up exponentially
To save time in doing 3D projects, I normally turn off G.I. when modelling and fine tuning scene objects. Then test render G.I. light settings with low res render to check if the feel of the lighting is OK, even turning the AA down. So I can check the overall feel of the image very quick. For checking details, I will set the setting to at least medium, but only render a crop section of the image I want to check, again that would be quite fast because I don't need to render the whole image. Once I am happy, then I can render a reasonable size render (1024 x 768) for final checking. If that is OK. It can go ahead in full hi quality render.
Indigo is not as flexible, it's unbiased and I can't turn off AA, AO, GI or stuff like that mentioned nowhere in Indigo vocabulary .
The main settings are camera, materials, tone map and resolution. To render fast in Indigo I have to make small resolution renders of one part after one.
MAAjor MO-TION
There's a new one:

Inspired by this
I made this quickly but the render was long and there still are some "fireflies" on dark areas.
This kind of scene is fun but quite boring now. I'll try outdoor scenes
Absolute amazing.

Keep up the good work.
Quote from Bogey Jammer :There's a new one:

Inspired by this
I made this quickly but the render was long and there still are some "fireflies" on dark areas.
This kind of scene is fun but quite boring now. I'll try outdoor scenes

so, how can I do this, Bogey Jammer? Your renders look great. I got Indigo, but how do I get interiors and outdoor scenes?
Indigo works are not sharable because of the exporter behavior. So there's nothing to get but everything to create.

Bogey Jammer's Portfolio
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG