The online racing simulator
Sequential or Gated Shift?
(16 posts, started )
I've noticed that it's probably quite a split - some racers use a conventional gated gear shift, and some use a sequential gear shift. I understand that using a sequential box is faster for shifting, but is this the only benefit gained?
It is, especially on race cars, (FZR for example), where being consistant and fast through gearchangs is hard. On roadcars, its not that of diffirence.
I don't really see the point of having an H-shifter and only using it in seq mode though...

Personally I use the corresponding shifting method the car has
Not again please...
I used to use the H-gate shifter in the appropriate cars, until my shifter started missing shifts a lot. For example when I shifted from 2nd to 3rd it would remain in neutral in-game even though the stick was properly in 3rd. Probably a bad contact somewhere. It got so annoying that I switched to sequential shifting By now I'm so used to it I think it would take quite a bit of practise for me to become used to the H-gate shifting again.

Maybe in the future I'll buy a seperate shifter from ATC Labs (I think it is?), they're supposed to be of much better quality than the G25 one. But there's loads of other stuff I want to spend my money on first, and I actually don't even have a lot of extra money to spend, so that'll probably be a while.

As for advantages... I guess sequential shifting is easier to shift fast, but with some practise you can shift an H-gate just as fast.
I shift gated on evry possible car.
But gated only makes sense with a clutch pedal.
I agree with Stefan, gated where I possibly can, and sequential where it makes sense. FXR, XRR, XFR no longer gated
Quote from obsolum :I used to use the H-gate shifter in the appropriate cars, until my shifter started missing shifts a lot. For example when I shifted from 2nd to 3rd it would remain in neutral in-game even though the stick was properly in 3rd. Probably a bad contact somewhere. It got so annoying that I switched to sequential shifting By now I'm so used to it I think it would take quite a bit of practise for me to become used to the H-gate shifting again.

Maybe in the future I'll buy a seperate shifter from ATC Labs (I think it is?), they're supposed to be of much better quality than the G25 one. But there's loads of other stuff I want to spend my money on first, and I actually don't even have a lot of extra money to spend, so that'll probably be a while.

As for advantages... I guess sequential shifting is easier to shift fast, but with some practise you can shift an H-gate just as fast.

are you using your clutch?
Quote from anbiddulph :are you using your clutch?

Of course Like I said, it's a bad contact somewhere. It worked fine for the first few months, then it started missing shifts sporadically, and then more and more. When it was stuck in neutral in-game, just the tiniest touch on the stick would be enough to shift it in gear again, but if you're racing that costs you precious time everytime and I got very annoyed with it.

I gave it another try only last weekend, because I still think it's more fun. I did one lap and it missed a shift again, so I switched back to sequential
I let lfs dictate whether I use either..
I use the shifting method according to the car's transmission type. But I somehow prefer cars with H-gate tranny. I just love it when you have to do all the work yourself I was happy when the FZR kept its H-gate I'm not racing for times or victories, but for the fun of it.
I use the gated shifter on all of the cars that have the H-pattern gearboxes. If you practice on your timing you can be just as fast as somebody who uses the sequential shifter. Especially before turns as you can downshift two gears instead of one
#13 - ssm
I believe that six speed manual sticks are the best thing in real life, that's why I am CALLED ssm... faster downshift, and a lighter overall car.
Quote from breadfan :I use the shifting method according to the car's transmission type. But I somehow prefer cars with H-gate tranny. I just love it when you have to do all the work yourself I was happy when the FZR kept its H-gate I'm not racing for times or victories, but for the fun of it.

i find it makes for better drag races... the paddles seem so... not mechanical.
All sequential stick here, well..... because it's all I have.....

I would use gated shift if I had a gated shifter. I fear by the time I evenutally have a gated shifter, there won't be any gated shift racecars left in LFS
Quote from mrodgers :All sequential stick here, well..... because it's all I have.....

I would use gated shift if I had a gated shifter. I fear by the time I evenutally have a gated shifter, there won't be any gated shift racecars left in LFS

don't say that! I cant imagine the UF GTR or the Raceabout being ruined with sequential.. those cars have awesome personality.. the gated adds so much to the fun

(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG