The online racing simulator
LFS and FRAPS problem
(27 posts, started )
LFS and FRAPS problem
Trying to record yet my FPS drops to 10....

I have a system that should no way in hell have problems with hardware (see below) so I know its not that my computer is slow...

Does LFS have issues with FRAPS recording and/or certain settings? I have LFS running 300+FPS....

E8400 @ 4.4ghz
8GB DDR2 1000 RAM
SLI 2x8800GTX 768MB OC - Running 175.19 drivers
4-way RAID 0 + separate drive
Quote from hsshoura :Trying to record yet my FPS drops to 10....

I have a system that should no way in hell have problems with hardware (see below) so I know its not that my computer is slow...

Does LFS have issues with FRAPS recording and/or certain settings? I have LFS running 300+FPS....

E8400 @ 4.4ghz
8GB DDR2 1000 RAM
SLI 2x8800GTX 768MB OC - Running 175.19 drivers
4-way RAID 0 + separate drive

Wrong section

Try Game cam , or something like that
I have the exact same issue, ok my system stats are less than yours, but ive recorded successfully for a long while, but now.. I cant.

LFS happily runs at 100+FPS, yet frames drop to 10 when recording with fraps, which makes the video unusable. Running Vista 32 here.
Quote from Inouva :Wrong section

Try Game cam , or something like that

What section do you suggest then?
Quote from mkinnov8 :I have the exact same issue, ok my system stats are less than yours, but ive recorded successfully for a long while, but now.. I cant.

LFS happily runs at 100+FPS, yet frames drop to 10 when recording with fraps, which makes the video unusable. Running Vista 32 here.

Im using Vista64.. Hmmm
Just had a quick test of Game Cam, can record with approx 30-40FPS in full screen mode with a res of 1440x900... which is ok I guess, but the quality isnt great (which could just be a gamecam demo thing).

www.planetgamecam.com

But the quality of Fraps, from what I remember was far superia, it seems a shame to settle. I've not found anything documenting our issues with Fraps so far.
Quote from mkinnov8 :Just had a quick test of Game Cam, can record with approx 30-40FPS in full screen mode with a res of 1440x900... which is ok I guess, but the quality isnt great (which could just be a gamecam demo thing).

www.planetgamecam.com

But the quality of Fraps, from what I remember was far superia, it seems a shame to settle. I've not found anything documenting our issues with Fraps so far.

Well I usually run 1920x1200 and get 300 FPS... I turned my resolution down to 800x600 and it still only recorded at 10 FPS which is disgusting

Quote from Inouva :Here is a good one

Ill have a moderator move the thread, thanks
You can try to set the affinity of the applications. Set LFS to 1 core and then set FRAPS to the other core and see what happens.

Another way to improve capture speed is to slow the game to 1/2 speed. Then with editing software, double the speed of the clip back up.
Tried playing with the affnity of the applications, LFS and FRAPS, but it changed nothing for me. As for the capturing at half speed, for quality, id do that anyway, but it doesnt answer the question as to why we get such a low fps while recording..

If it turns out that someone holds the key to this issue, and its something noobish im not doing, then thats great too!
I've met the same problems. For me, it is caused by ingame AA settings, for some odd reasons it cuts the framerate drammatically, while, as far as I know, drivers forced AA doesn't
No problems here. I run at 1600x1200x85hz, no AA, filtering set to 16x. I set fraps to capture at 1/2 size, at 30fps, which is what the fps drops to when I start a capture. Note that fraps uses video card hardware to do the 1/2 size reduction. I'm running the current 0.5Z version of LFS.

If you try to do a full capture at a high resolution, the drive bandwidth may be exceeded, and this could slow down the fps.

I grabbed the world record run for BMW F1 at Blackwood replay from LFS World, captured and converted it to .wmv file. Here is a link to the video:

http://jeffareid.net/lfs/lfsbwf1.wmv

System specs:
Intel Core 2 X6800 - 2.93ghz
Intel D975XBX motherboard, two raid controllers, Intel ICH7R and Silicon Image 3114.
2GB 4-4-4-10 667mhz ddr2 ram.
ATI HD2900XT video card.
SoundBlaster X-Fi Plantinum.
2 SATA Hitachi TK 250GB drives striped on Intel raid controller.
2 SATA Hitachi TK 250GB drives striped on Silicon image raid controller.
1 PATA 200GB (boot only).
1 HP 940 dvd writer.
i have the same problem to

normally i run lfs with 220+ fps
i start fraps and i get a big fps drop to 15 fps.(new pc)
and 30 fps with old pc.

i have download the newest version of fraps but that doesnt make any sense.

my system: (New pc)

Windows vista home premium 32 bit
intel Quadcore 2.4 ghz
3 GB Ram
Geforce 8800 gs 386 MB ( i have downloaded the newest drivers yesterday)

my system: (old pc)

Windows XP home edition
Intel P4 2.4 ghz
1 gb ram
geforce 6200 256 mb
only a few things that helped me,

defragment your hard disk. A fragmented disk cannot be written to as quickly as a non fragmented one, as fraps writes to disk in real time, fragmented files in the way will kill your fps.

Limit fraps to record at 30fps.

Record at half size.

Limit lfs framerate to 30fps.

Record replay at half speed, press f2 when watching the replay to do this. Then you can use windows movie maker to speed it back up to the original speed.

Don't get me wrong, im only getting about 20ish fps when recording, but before i did the above things i used to get literally 2 fps, so it helped me, it could help you.
you have windows vista????
everyone with vista has the same problem
Turn sky to 16 bits instead of 32. It's a known issue with LFS & FRAPS. It wont give you a lot of frames, but at least it will increase the quality of the record
Heres the trick. You need two Hard drives. Your game, and where the fraps is being written to, needs to be on two different hard drives, problem solved
Quote from JustinMead :Heres the trick. You need two Hard drives. Your game, and where the fraps is being written to, needs to be on two different hard drives, problem solved

Yeah, that's what I was going to say.

Thanks.

---

Just get an external hard drive and write fraps to there.
ok with my rig. QX6850 4gb of ram and a HD4870 i can record with fraps at 100fps no problem. Trick is that AA will cause framerates to drop like mad.

But there is something better than FRAPS. Xfire has built in video capture. You have to manually set xfire so it recognizes LFS and when your in-game hit F9(or change the key binding) and it will record alot better even using AA/AF
\Tried it just now, it wont work without the two hard drives./
ive never had to have 2 hdds with fraps. something is not right.
Hmm i have similiar problem. My fraps run sometime 30 fps (ok)I stoped it and switched to win after i tried to make another movie and it goes 2 fps after few tries it goes on 30 fps and this is repeating
Always had the exact same problem here; LFS normally runs at ~60FPS, yet whatever settings I put Fraps on, as soon as I press record the in-game FPS drops to 8.

Sucks.
Turn off AA/AF record at 800*600 at half speed.. maybe 16bit color to
If u mean me, my PC dont have problem frapsing similiar and better games 60 fps ...
Quote from JustinMead :Heres the trick. You need two Hard drives. Your game, and where the fraps is being written to, needs to be on two different hard drives, problem solved

i still have the same problems
i record with 15 fps

LFS and FRAPS problem
(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG