The online racing simulator
2009 Focus RS: Official details and pictures
(69 posts, started )
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :but i know my dad has had a 100bhp increase just from a map, but thats something totally different. It was chipped not re-mapped by Awesome.

100bhp increase?
#52 - mr_x
Quote from Mikkel Petersen :Anybody who knows why the have chosen the 5-door, when the 3-door would be lighter and a have higher degree of torsional stiffness? (i don't know if 'torsional stiffness' is the right word as all my engineering books are in danish.)

Super2000 rules state that the car must be 4 or 5 doors. The only exception is the Volvo C30 that (as far as I know) only comes in a 3 door version.
Quote from danowat :100bhp increase?

Well the engine did go from 200bhp to 350 without a re-map, now after the re-map running close to 450. But its to be expected when you chuck fancy internals and a big ass supercharger onto a 200bhp engine, you'll need a re-map to get the most out of it.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Well the engine did go from 200bhp to 350 without a re-map, now after the re-map running close to 450. But its to be expected when you chuck fancy internals and a big ass supercharger onto a 200bhp engine, you'll need a re-map to get the most out of it.

So what you're saying is that the map that was in it was so totally unsuited to the engine that simply putting it right meant the engine performed properly?

You don't remap to get the most out of it. You remap as a matter of course. Not remapping in the first place whilst it was on the rolling road to get the 350 figure means that the owner, modifier and rolling road dunce are all clueless morons.

Would you build a spaceship but use the ignition map out of a Corsa? The analogy isn't far removed from what you (or whoever) did. It's laughably stupid.
So your calling my dad a clueless moron and the mechanic, i don't know the ins and outs of it because i try not to get too much involved. The mapping was from a standard Honda K20 engine with slight work by rotrex which had to be posponed early, so it was never right in the first place really, then with all the new internals a supercharger, it made it worse, He never got round to getting it done properly until the race season started, thats all.

It was done by TDi btw, if your calling them clueless morons, then your the clueless moron.
I thought it was done by Awesome GTI now it's TDi? And I thought it would of been a Volkswagen, not a Honda?
Quote from BlueFlame :I thought it was done by Awesome GTI now it's TDi? And I thought it would of been a Volkswagen, not a Honda?

Talking about 2 different cars, the one that got a 100bhp increase from a re-map was a Lotus Exige with a S/C Honda engine, but that was totally different to the Golf, so im not saying you'd get that from the Golf, just making a point, if you have a massive power increase to an engine, you can get more power out of it just from a re-map.
Anyone with half a brain knows that if you make mods to any engine, the mapping/jetting needs to be changed.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :So your calling my dad a clueless moron and the mechanic, i don't know the ins and outs of it because i try not to get too much involved. The mapping was from a standard Honda K20 engine with slight work by rotrex which had to be posponed early, so it was never right in the first place really, then with all the new internals a supercharger, it made it worse, He never got round to getting it done properly until the race season started, thats all.

It was done by TDi btw, if your calling them clueless morons, then your the clueless moron.

If they did engine mods to the Exige, then took it to a rolling road to find out what they did and did not adjust the mapping whilst they were there, then yes, they are all morons. Even a 2 year old knows that the ignition and fuelling would need to be adjusted quite a lot after engine modifications of that sort.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Talking about 2 different cars, the one that got a 100bhp increase from a re-map was a Lotus Exige with a S/C Honda engine, but that was totally different to the Golf, so im not saying you'd get that from the Golf, just making a point, if you have a massive power increase to an engine, you can get more power out of it just from a re-map.

Why would a company (presumably) call themselves TDi and map Lotus' with supercharged Honda engines?
Tristan, i never said he did it without a dyno, that would be idiotic, how else would i know the power increase after the mapping session? If we mapped it without a dyno...

Blueflame - Im not the company, why don't you ask yourself, TDi doesn't neceserilly mean turbo diesel, but if your that narrow minded then... http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?p=41835 I think they'll do pretty much any car, theres a thread on an NSX forum and i think they went to the same guys...
Pearcy - you said the first bit of work - presumably the actual engine modifications, increased power from 200 to 350hp. To know that increase you must have had two dyno sessions (be they chassis or engine dynos) to get both figures.

So why did you bother to get the 350hp figure without remapping? Why risk blowing your engine up or melting parts of it? Why not turn up at the rolling road and ask them to map the fuelling/ignition before doing a full load torque test? Why get a shitty figure from a half finished engine, go home, realise you didn't map it (as stupid a mistake as not putting oil in, or not starting the engine), go back and do it properly.

There is no reason on God's Earth why you would dyno the engine without remapping after the modifications. Anyone who does can't know what they're doing. We're remapping our engines and all we've done is jump from 45mm to 48mm carbs and shortened the inlet tracts.
I think it's a very good looking car and actually like it in green.

When I was at the Nurburgring back in April last year, we saw a test mule for one of these. It was based on the pre-facelift version (the same as the asbo ST model). The most interesting thing was that after a queek peek underneath it, we saw it had a rear diff with the housing for what must have been a propshaft going up to the front. The car was covered in wires and little sensors, presumably getting all sorts of telemetry and technical data as they hounded round the Grune Holle.

So it's not like they never thought of making it 4WD, from what we saw they did extensive testing with a 4WD one but decided FWD was the way...
Tristan. I lol'd. Alot. That's why I never come on here anymore with "rough" stats and data!
Quote from tristancliffe :Pearcy - you said the first bit of work - presumably the actual engine modifications, increased power from 200 to 350hp. To know that increase you must have had two dyno sessions (be they chassis or engine dynos) to get both figures.

So why did you bother to get the 350hp figure without remapping? Why risk blowing your engine up or melting parts of it? Why not turn up at the rolling road and ask them to map the fuelling/ignition before doing a full load torque test? Why get a shitty figure from a half finished engine, go home, realise you didn't map it (as stupid a mistake as not putting oil in, or not starting the engine), go back and do it properly.

There is no reason on God's Earth why you would dyno the engine without remapping after the modifications. Anyone who does can't know what they're doing. We're remapping our engines and all we've done is jump from 45mm to 48mm carbs and shortened the inlet tracts.

No, a standard Hona K20 is just about 200bhp, then we added a supercharger, then it was semi mapped by rotrex who said that it was putting out 350bhp but they didnt finish, so it wasnt mapped properly in the first place, nothing major, just some spluttering, but my dad didnt't have time, it wouldnt cause any damage to the engine and it was quick enough! We later had it dyno'd again after about 10,000 miles use out of it and it came up as 301bhp so either it lost alot or he was bullshitting about the 350, i think the latter. Plus we werent bothered about blowing the engine up becase it was just standard and cost us virtually nothing, but after the 4th one he got fed up and we had one built by clockwise, which did increase the reliabilty and the power, plus some bigger vents for the SC, had it dyno'd before we ran it again and it was 450, so maybe not exactly 100bhp but close enough and definately made a huge difference in the speed of it, felt like a 100bhp increase, probably a little less, not much use having all that power if the engine just won't use it effectively.

Anyway, ive had enough now, my fingers are pretty close to the bone.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG