The online racing simulator
Drift (spit!) help.
(9 posts, started )
Drift (spit!) help.
Hi,

I realise there's a lot of conjecture surrounding drifting and LFS, but as I am currently stuck offline (online at work) and the AI is woeful to race against in any serious fashion, I have been *sigh* drifting.

After some time I'm now having some reasonable success, but however I seem to fry my tyres after only one/two laps and once they're nice and red I have no hope of catching/holding any serious drifts.

Am I doing something wrong with my tyre presssures (I'm using various drift set ups for the XRT/FZ5) or is this just how it is? Do you drifters do 1/2/3 laps and carreset or am I too throttle hungry?

Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Bandaid.

P.S. Big Hi to the Out Of Control Racing boys!!!
I don't drift but 3 laps sounds about right, be it in LFS or IRL.
It will generally fry your tires in a few laps, depending how high your RPMs are and at what intensity you drift at. I'm going to take a guess and say that tire pressures may affect the heat, but don't quote me on that. The setups may have an effect on it.

Actually, a lot of people like it when there are red tires, it's challenging to say the least.

Ever since I switched to mouse, I can't drift
There isn't much you can do about that. whether you like it or not they are going to be flat in no-time. most of the time mine are done by 2 and I've burned them up in 1 numerous times, but when drifting online your probably going to get hit at some point of time so pitting is very common regardless. increasing tire pressure might make them last longer in theory but from my experience they burn faster since more pressure=easier tire spin. as the man above me said, it depends on how hard you drift, fast or slow drifts, rpm.....So i wouldn't spend time trying to avoid it as it's going to happen within a few laps. hope this helps!

almost forgot, the more worn your tires are the easier it is to make big long smokey drifts.....as long as you have mastered your setup( the car will go sideways very quickly!)
pressure
+ on Jonnys post!

Have high pressure in rear tires and have the Camber on +

like pic!

(this is XRT) (FZ5 is tire killer)

sorry picture on swedish but hope its helping, at least someone
Attached images
tires.JPG
no matter what car im drifting rear tyre pressure has to be MAXED but the FZ5 will have red tyres in 1/2 laps and the XRT with the right set u can do 2/5 laps without them being overly hot.

i normaly keep drifting when they are red and just be more gental with the car
Sounds good, I'll give the increased pressure a go tonight.

Thank you all for your input.

Mods, feel free to delete this thread if you wish!
All depends on what tyres and pressure, what toe and camber settings, etc you use, as to how hard you'll kill the tyres.

I use Road Supers rear on 28psi, 0 camber, with 1 toe in. It makes the rear of the car pretty controllable as the toe in wants to promote understeer, and also seems to help with mid corner acceleration. It takes a lap to get some heat into them as the tyre wear is pretty constant across the entire wheel and it doesn't develop any hot spots on the inner edge.

I can get ten laps out of them, drifting each corner on FE Gold reverse. And after a couple of laps, linking the D corner is easy. I'm referring to the corners after you go under the bridge, tends to be a big 4th gear slide through the entire thing

I don't go doing crazy slides down the straights though, so I guess that if you have a penchant for sliding the entire course and doing all the straights trying to link all the corners with some big fishtails back and forth... I imagine you'd kill them a lot quicker.
Higher rear tires pressure makes them last longer.
Mostly 1,2 laps your tires should be red, it's ok. Sure it's harder to handle the car, but it's possible even on blown tires [good drifters can do it easly].
There is a thing called "Throttle control", that is what can let you do even 10-15 laps on same tires,the question is how much you burning them.
Don't forget, that they get cooled by air arround and the road, but you put on them strees.
The stress depends on actually 3-4 things:
1)Angle of drifting
2)Speed of drifting
3)How much the tire spins by your engine power
So it's like Angle*Speed and plus the how much u spin tires.

There are many places where you can keep drifting with just a little Throttle blips and weight transfers. Flat out will just blow ur tires very fast and cause you many spins.
Btw: behavior in LFS on red tires is same, as RWD in real life on wet....that's why people like it so much. Smooth and tricky.

Ahh, and don't try to create some Super-weird setups like +1.3 camber on rear [it's not common].
You something like -3 camber front, -2 -2.5 camber rear.
Front tires pressure,around 25-33 psi
Rear tires pressure, if you put 30 psi =most control,most grip, but fast tire wear
If you put maximum = best tire wear, but it's very hard to control, so choose something like 38-40 and you are good.
Important that you'll have steering wheel and pedals.....it will make your control on reds better

Drift (spit!) help.
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG