The online racing simulator
F1 Kers
(45 posts, started )
F1 Kers
There are 2 systems in F1 KERS: elettrico & flybrid

which teams will use elettrico & which team will use flybrid?
it just said BMW & RBR use elettrico hybrid...
#4 - samjh
I also wonder if it will be the engine manufacturers doing KERS development, or if each team are doing it individually.
I have a question about flybrid

the energy store in a rotor rotation

but the rotor will stop because fuction

is that means flybrid can't store the energy long time like batteries?
Quote from scania :it just said BMW & RBR use elettrico hybrid...

I just posted it because it was recent news. Not as an answer to your question.
but it is so danger...
do F1 need some tires can conduction electric like plane?
Quote from samjh :I also wonder if it will be the engine manufacturers doing KERS development, or if each team are doing it individually.

from what i heard Force India (i still hate this stupid name) will get their whole KERS and electric system from Ferrari.
but rumours also said that Force India might swap their engine supplier to Honda next year for a cheaper price. however they will have to take Sato.
#9 - JCTK
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :from what i heard Force India (i still hate this stupid name) will get their whole KERS and electric system from Ferrari.
but rumours also said that Force India might swap their engine supplier to Honda next year for a cheaper price. however they will have to take Sato.

I thought it would be Honda engine + Honda KERS + Honda Sato...

PS. who knows who is using what, it is still early days, only very few teams actually got one up and running on the track, and the way they are going to implement the system might still be changed...

to quote someone in one of those news article on autosport, the KERS might sound simple on paper but is incredibly hard to execute...
Quote from JCTK :I thought it would be Honda engine + Honda KERS + Honda Sato...

yeah pretty much.
they come in as a package.
Engine + KERS + Sato
Honda would have more on-track data(like thye used to do with SA), they can keep Sato employed. i cant see a reason why Honda wouldnt do so.
From the 2009 regulations that were published week ago:

Quote :5.2.2 With the exception of one fully charged KERS, the total amount of recoverable energy stored on the car must not exceed 300kJ. Any which may be recovered at a rate greater than 2kW must not exceed 20kJ.

5.2.3 The maximum power, in or out, of any KERS must not exceed 60kW.
Energy released from the KERS may not exceed 400kJ in any one lap.
Measurements will be taken at the connection to the rear wheel drivetrain.

I hope it doesn't turn out to be a (dangerous and hi-tech) push-to-pass system. I'm sure that wouldn't be the way most people would like to see more passing.
KERS is certainly a shocking new development in F1.
Quote from Michael Denham :KERS is certainly a shocking new development in F1.

so, should it go back to carburettor OHV 2 valve/cyl engine & 4-speed H shift gear box?
Its a joke joyce...

The boffins will have it ready come race day.
I think reliability will be a HUGE issue next year.
Regardless of the available technology, motorsport should be more about challenging the teams AND drivers. Whilst F1 should remain as the pinnacle in terms of applied technology, I do think the drivers are getting an easier time because of it, without benefitting road car technology (not that they ever did).

Power steering? In a racing car? Surely a joke!
Gear changes that require no skill? Surely a joke?

I am over the moon that the engine brake reduction electronics were banned, and that traction control electronics were banned. But I still hope that one day electronically controlled gearboxes are banned, and h-shift boxes become mandated, or an alternative gear change solution that requires even a slight amount of skill. Hell, even a mechanical sequential would be okay as long as the drivers still had to lift and blip....

Sadly, I get told I'm against technology for saying this, but when you watch a GP does it make it better having paddles or having missed gears and more overrevs?

The same applies in road cars in my opinion. A car designed for fun driving should be about fun driving, not having a computer do all the complicated stuff for you. A shopping trolley can have electronics like that, but a sports/super car shouldn't.
#18 - JCTK
Quote from Mustafur :Who said that in 09 cars won't looks like they did in earlier years: http://www.formula1.com/gallery/testing/2008/302.html

That BMW sauber(that didn't test due to a kers failure)looks like a 01/02 spec F1 car.

Easily the best 09 concept ive seen yet.

I thought that would just be a F1.08 taking out most of the fins and winglets, along with flatter wings, and fitted with KERS only~?

but yeah it does look quite nice actually~
Quote from JCTK :I thought that would just be a F1.08 taking out most of the fins and winglets, along with flatter wings, and fitted with KERS only~?

but yeah it does look quite nice actually~

It's actually a F1.07 base.

but i hope the final product looks similar to this.
I dont want to see a return to H pattern gearboxes myself Tristan, but I would like to see the drivers lifting and blipping again, but then again the racing this year is good - it's nice to see the drivers hanging the back out and not being ultra smooth and dull. There's some skill in the current F1's already.
Although this will put me in danger of getting lynched by some fans...

I'm disappointed with KERS. I'd rather that the FIA introduce a fully hybrid system using the existing engines, but with the addition of electric-based power source (including a KERS-like system) with a mandated limit. This would actually cause teams to innovate and create technologies that are not only "green", but also highly applicable to future road cars.

KERS is nothing more than a gimmick. While the FIA is trying to make F1 look more "green", when you look more deeply into the technology involved, it's utter crap. There is no substance to KERS: no substantial transfer of knowledge to road cars, no substantial application for energy conservation in any other field.

Quote from tristancliffe :But I still hope that one day electronically controlled gearboxes are banned, and h-shift boxes become mandated, or an alternative gear change solution that requires even a slight amount of skill. Hell, even a mechanical sequential would be okay as long as the drivers still had to lift and blip....

Hmmm... I'm with Becky's sentiments on this one.

H-pattern seems too far backward. But a mechanical sequential which requires blipping, I agree with. The Porsche Carrera Cup cars are like that: stick sequential with throttle-blip required for downshifts.

On that note, an odd story...

Vitantonio Liuzzi once had to drive an old Jaguar E-Type racing car in an exhibition race. He had a lot of trouble with gear changing. He said he didn't know how to heel-toe because he never raced in a car that needed heel-toeing! :doh: So that's a modern F1 driver for you...
personaly i'm with tris on this one, the best drivers in the world should be able to handle an h gate, apart from anything else it would bring back an extra dimension which is missed gearchanges. it used to be 3000 manual changes at monaco and drivers knew that a missed change could put them in the barrier so had to work out how hard it was worth pushing. i saw an interview a while back with prost and he said that every driver used to fluff a couple of changes every race which always gave the driver behind the chance to capitalise.

actually id prefer the full prost solutuion of h shifts and no refueling as the cars would be heavier at the start and drivers would have to judge how to drive, push and wear brakes and tyres or take it easy at the start and push with good brakes later when the leaders may have bad brakes. also the no refueling idea would fit in with the whole kers / green ethos as if you use less fuel you'd run lighter from the start.
#23 - SamH
I don't want to see H gates mandated until I can get me a G25. Then I'm up for it, although I think a throttle-cut sequential sounds great so I'd be sorry to "hear" that go.
Quote from tristancliffe :Regardless of the available technology, motorsport should be more about challenging the teams AND drivers. Whilst F1 should remain as the pinnacle in terms of applied technology, I do think the drivers are getting an easier time because of it, without benefitting road car technology (not that they ever did).

Power steering? In a racing car? Surely a joke!
Gear changes that require no skill? Surely a joke?

I am over the moon that the engine brake reduction electronics were banned, and that traction control electronics were banned. But I still hope that one day electronically controlled gearboxes are banned, and h-shift boxes become mandated, or an alternative gear change solution that requires even a slight amount of skill. Hell, even a mechanical sequential would be okay as long as the drivers still had to lift and blip....

Sadly, I get told I'm against technology for saying this, but when you watch a GP does it make it better having paddles or having missed gears and more overrevs?

The same applies in road cars in my opinion. A car designed for fun driving should be about fun driving, not having a computer do all the complicated stuff for you. A shopping trolley can have electronics like that, but a sports/super car shouldn't.

Perhaps we need an engineer to sit beside the driver to manually operate the fuel pump the entire race? You know the fuel pumpers arms will get really tired, opening up some great overtaking opportunities.
What a completely stupid response R.Miller. One of the stupidest of the year. That wasn't a skill, and didn't require skill. It can be lost to history. Gear changing IS a skill, and shouldn't be lost. The best drivers in the world should have the best skills.

Or is a good thing when the drivers just sit there, relax, and have about 5% of the skill of just 20 years ago?

F1 Kers
(45 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG