The online racing simulator
Scared to death
(32 posts, started )
Scared to death
I got my G25 a couple days ago, and bought my S2 license yesterday and ran my first couple races online yesterday.

Disclaimer: I realize I'm probably too green for online racing since I'm still getting the feel of a wheel, but I wanted to do some real racing.

I ran two races yesterday, 1 on CTRA Race 1, and CTRA UF-BR.

I was scared to death, but I think I did fairly well. I didn't run into anyone. Did my best to honor my blue flags. Was careful about getting back on track when running off. Saw a lot of great driving and realized I have a lot of practice ahead of me.

I think I enjoyed the UF-BR race more and may focus on it for a while.

1st goal: Stay on track for an entire race.

2nd goal: Stay on lead lap :P
Nice one Stick with it and I'm sure you will reach your goals and have a whole lot of fun in the process
#3 - Bean0
You've got the right attitude, which is always good to see

A lot can be learned just from spectating a race and watching the faster guys. Set LFS options so you can see the throttle/brake bars in the corner, and watch their lines and where they get on the gas or brakes.
I'm scared to death in every single race, since I lag very very badly in most servers.
Think I'll run this skin for a while.
Attached images
newdriver.jpg
#6 - HVS5b
Quote from Bean0 :You've got the right attitude, which is always good to see

A lot can be learned just from spectating a race and watching the faster guys. Set LFS options so you can see the throttle/brake bars in the corner, and watch their lines and where they get on the gas or brakes.

Thats good advice, worth taking account of
(if spectating press v to get into cockpit view to see the peddles and make sure this option is turned on in the LFS options:tab to change between racers)

In the lower powered cars try to concentrate on carrying as much apex speed as possible without losing control. This doesn't mean aggressive late brakeing, but smooth input to the controls both during corner entry and exit.
Once this leads to better consistancy your lap times should come down rapidly.

Also, do try to get a good set, its not the be all and end all, but does make life much easier......

Have fun and good luck
CTRA race 1 good racing with other racers???? what time were you on tell me!
#8 - Spils
I wish everyone on ctra thought and drove like you..
stick with it thou mate find some regs your notice on there you can keep pace with and your have some great battles..

There is always a few names i no on there i no i can have some very close battle with, and we will give each other the room to race..

That is when ctra comes into its own..
It's good to see a new racer who's goal isn't to win at all costs (crashing), but to enjoy the race, winning or not. Welcome
Quote from breadfan :It's good to see a new racer who's goal isn't to win at all costs (crashing), but to enjoy the race, winning or not. Welcome

+1
Wellcome to S2 and G25 world
It's scary at start because everyone around you passing fast and you have to concentrate on own driving at same time. With time it will be much easier and you would scare other drivers by your fast,clean driving.
Good luck mate
nice work mate my only susjestion this far is to get lots or practice offline with RWD cars befor trying them online when i first started the RWD cars would allways slip unexpectedly and i would lose it or crash (prolly cause im a agressive driver) but lots or practice and you will be able to catch it befor it even slides
Quote from Beltaine :I got my G25 a couple days ago, and bought my S2 license yesterday and ran my first couple races online yesterday.

Disclaimer: I realize I'm probably too green for online racing since I'm still getting the feel of a wheel, but I wanted to do some real racing.

I ran two races yesterday, 1 on CTRA Race 1, and CTRA UF-BR.

I was scared to death, but I think I did fairly well. I didn't run into anyone. Did my best to honor my blue flags. Was careful about getting back on track when running off. Saw a lot of great driving and realized I have a lot of practice ahead of me.

I think I enjoyed the UF-BR race more and may focus on it for a while.

1st goal: Stay on track for an entire race.

2nd goal: Stay on lead lap :P

Hey man,

I just got my G25 on Friday last, and signed up for my S2 license on the same day. Guess where I ended up, too? Yep, CTRA UF-BR. It's almost as if I was watching your every move, and copying you ... hehehe

I, like you, am feeling a bit wet behind the ears. Some of the racers on the UF-BR server are really very good, and tremendously good sports when it comes to relatively newcomers like myself. So long as you show them respect on the circuit (i.e. blue flag = get off the racing line ) they will show you the same back

I've also a lot of practice in front of me - the good thing I've noticed though, is that on the CTRA servers, people generally always vote to restart the same race, so it's quite a good way of getting to know a circuit in a relatively short space of time. In one night, I've seen my lap times on Aston Cadet Rev drop by 4 seconds. I'm still 3 behind the leading drivers though ...

Good luck out there, and maybe we can have some ding dongs of our own?
#13 - Jakg
fwiw Blue Flag = Let the leaders past. That means "be predictable" so they can slip around you (if your so fast). If your on your own at the back then it's nice to move over to let them go past, but you don't have to.

BTW - Whats your current PB on AS Cadet Rev in the Baby R's? I'm still trying to drop mine below 1:18.7x

Quote from Jakg :fwiw Blue Flag = Let the leaders past. That means "be predictable" so they can slip around you (if your so fast). If your on your own at the back then it's nice to move over to let them go past, but you don't have to.

BTW - Whats your current PB on AS Cadet Rev in the Baby R's? I'm still trying to drop mine below 1:18.7x

Blue flag rules can change depending on the server you are racing on....

On some it just means 'Keep your line, do not defend a passing attempt by lapping cars', on some it means 'Get off the racing line...NOW!!!'.

It is up to you as a driver to make sure you know the ruleset you should be abiding by.
As i see it - Blue Flag means to make Racing Line free.
Why? Because the car that was overlaped - isn't fighting for the place[and usually not podium too], and First racers shouldn't be unfluenced by ruining their times,because of passing somebody by wrong line.
Tricky question.Interesting how is it in world championships IRL?
And how it works,when there are 2 classes racing together? Like GT1 and GT2. Should GT2 give room to all GT1 racers or... ?
In watching coverage of the Le Mans Series, the commentators mentioned that the slower classes are instructed to hold their normal racing line and not to defend passing attempts by the faster cars.

With the slower cars keeping to their normal line, it is a lot more predictable.
It is still up to the faster cars to make a pass, even if they have to leave the ideal line to do so.

I was more thinking of the Redline Servers, where a blue flag means you MUST surrender the racing line to the person lapping you.
Quote :As i see it - Blue Flag means to make Racing Line free.
Why? Because the car that was overlaped - isn't fighting for the place[and usually not podium too], and First racers shouldn't be unfluenced by ruining their times,because of passing somebody by wrong line.

As I see it - this is wrong. Racing is not hotlapping, and leaders should expect to lose some time when lapping people. The lapped guys might still be fighting for position even though they are a lap behind.

A more common case online is that leaders are catching people that just joined and really isnt racing - and in that case it might be right to get out of the way. However.. it is more predictable to just stay on the racing line.
Quote from sanderman2000 :
And how it works,when there are 2 classes racing together? Like GT1 and GT2. Should GT2 give room to all GT1 racers or... ?

Well I'm not 100% sure this is always the case, but.........

During Le Mans this year it was made pretty clear it was the responsibility of the faster car (class) to pass safely.

I've always just thought a healthy dose of common sense was good enough for single class racing.
#19 - SamH
Quote from Bean0 :In watching coverage of the Le Mans Series, the commentators mentioned that the slower classes are instructed to hold their normal racing line and not to defend passing attempts by the faster cars.

With the slower cars keeping to their normal line, it is a lot more predictable.
It is still up to the faster cars to make a pass, even if they have to leave the ideal line to do so.

This is the interpretation we follow on CTRA, for normal racing. It seems to be the dominant and most sensible application of Blue Flag rules in competitive racing at large, and works best for us. Holding/sticking like glue to the racing line and acting in a predictable fashion is by far the most sensible action anyway. On any track, through any corner complex at all, the racing line switches from side to side. Anyone trying to get OFF the racing line, to allow someone to pass, IS going to finish up weaving erratically. When someone is trying to overtake you, being required to do this is just ridiculous. I don't think the "get off/stay off the racing line" method can actually be taken seriously.
Quote from sanderman2000 :As i see it - Blue Flag means to make Racing Line free.

As long as you don't apply your own interpretation of the rule on a server where this isn't the rule. Eg. you can't interpret the rule this way on the CTRA without getting into trouble.
#20 - Dru
Quote from Jakg :

**cough your talking about club reverse Jack**

times at CADET should be around the 57-58 sec mark me thinks..
#21 - Jakg
No i'm just really really slow >.>
#22 - Dru
Quote from Jakg :No i'm just really really slow >.>

lol - oh yes - forgot you weren't getting a push ;P
Quote from Jakg :

Well, seeing as you posted your club time, I will too :P ... my PB is 1:20.680, using a default race setup.

On Cadet Rev however, my PB is 1:00:940 using a setup that *someone* gave me last night. I just know that I can get another second off this time, I just need to have a lap where I don't screw at least one corner up

Not bad times for someone that's been racing for 2 days
Quote from Dru :lol - oh yes - forgot you weren't getting a push ;P

Speaking of which, hahah ... in a race last night, I came out of the last corner on the last lap on Cadet Rev, and the engine died - ran out of fuel. The guy behind me drop the finish line, then turned around and pushed me over the finish line ... haha genius ... I'll never cut my fuel so close again though
Ok, thanks for explanation of how to behave while there is a Blue Flag. So then it's very good, that i asked because i thought it's a bit different [anyways, i usually trying to give easiest way to the winner by moving aside so he notice,that i give him a clean road].
Thank you
-
(racer hero) DELETED by racer hero

Scared to death
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG