The online racing simulator
cpu upgrading advice needed please
hi guys,
just hoping to get some helpful advice on an upgraded CPU for my machine. i know a bit about computers, but not enough to know will a certain CPU fit my motherboard so i was hoping someone could help me out

my specs are as follows

dell 22" LCD monitor
Dell GX620 Tower.
2.8Ghz Pentium4 HT CPU 775LGA socket
2gb of Crucial DDR2 BallistiX TRACER PC6400 RAM.
0GB SATA drive.(500GB external)
nvidia 8800GTS overclocked
Antec 500watt PSU

if anyone could point me in the right direction of a cpu upgrade that would be great, cheers!
#2 - G!NhO
you have to look at the socket i think, it has a 775LGA socket so look for a CPU with the same socket.
Quote from G!NhO :you have to look at the socket i think, it has a 775LGA socket so look for a CPU with the same socket.

thanks for the reply, so is that all i need to know? surely theres more to it?
#4 - Jakg
His mobo has a 775 socket (we've been discussing this via PM's), but I have no idea if his dell board is compatible with a newer Core 2 CPU.

His budget is around £60 - £80, I recommended either an E7200 or an E2180.

EDIT - On AMD if the socket is the same, it'll work - but on Intel it's not. Chipsets compatibilities etc means that you need to check out that specifically your mobo will handle a Core 2 CPU.
thanks for the help jakg, so i wonder where i can find this out?? i checked with CPU-Z, and the mobo came up as a DELL OF8096. chipset - intel i945G/GZ but i googled this and came up with nothing if i called DELL could they tell me i wonder, or would they frown upon messing with their machines?
#6 - Jakg
It might be an idea to call them although I wouldn't expect anything.

The 945 chipset definately works with Core 2 CPU's (i'm typing on one with a Core 2 right now), but maybe it's a good idea to google the name of the PC with "CPU compatibility" or "Core 2" in there as well?
*opens google tab.........*
dell's aren't the best pc's to start off with.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG