The online racing simulator
New Great Simulation Games
(133 posts, started )
Post all the Reasonably New Simulations here which look hopefull or have good physics \

Feel free to express what you feel about the games!

Please say what you think it is, based on the physics and immersion...
AWESOME, GOOD, BAD, HORRIBLE or YET TO BE RATED

All of the games below should have links to the game's website (Unless it doesn't have one)

CAR SIMULATORS

THE BEST CAR SIMULATOR (November 2008):
iRacing - Review (PC) - Expensive tho...

AWESOME:
Live For Speed (PC)
Richard Burns Rally - Review (PC/Xbox/PS2)
Quote :Simply the finest rally sim there is. Bar none.

The Good
+ Car behaves how you'd expect it to under the conditions
+ Lots of weather effects
+ A decent damage model
+ Plenty of setup options
+ Decent tutorial introduction

The Bad
- Can be really hard!
- No chance of a sequel
- Could be confusing for a total noob

Virtual Grand Prix 3 (PC)
netKar PRO (PC)
Arca Sim Racing (PC)

VERY GOOD:
Kartsim - (PC)
rFactor (with the FeelReal Plugin) - Review (PC)
Forza Motorsport 2 - Review (Xbox360)
Gran Turismo 5 Prolouge (Spec II) (PS3)
GT Legends - Review (PC)
Virtual RC Racing - (PC)

GOOD:
Ferrari Challenge (PS3/PSP/Wii/DS)
Bagger-Simulator 2008 - (PC) - Bagger=Digger
Type-S - Click Here for the Road Map - (PC) - It is a "Work In Progress"
Racer - Review (PC)

BAD:

HORRIBLE:
NASCAR 2008 (PC)

TO BE RATED:
GTR Evolution (PC)
KartSim (PC)
Farmer Simulator - (PC) - YouTube Video
Turismo Carretera - (PC)

BIKE SIMULATORS

THE BEST BIKE SIMULATOR (- 200-):

AWESOME:

VERY GOOD:
MX Simulator - Review (PC)
MotoGP 08 (Xbox/PSP)

GOOD:
SBK08 (PC/Xbox)

BAD:

HORRIBLE:

TO BE RATED:
GPBikes (PC)
TT Superbikes (PS2)
Superbike 2001 (PC) - Main Site Not Found
GP500 (PC) - Main Site Not Found
Super-Bikes Riding Challenge (PC)
netBike (PC/Xbox) - No Links Found

FLIGHT SIMULATORS

THE BEST FLIGHT SIMULATOR (November 2008):
Microsoft Flight Simulator X (PC)

AWESOME:
X-Plane (PC)

VERY GOOD:
Realflight G4 (PC)

GOOD:

BAD:

HORRIBLE:

TO BE RATED:

Enjoy Your Games!!!
r factor is not a sim at all.
iRacing
I will start this thread off with a game I think will be quite realistic...

iRacing (no it isn't a product from apple, weirdly enough :razz

About iRacing.com
iRacing.com was founded in September of 2004 by Dave Kaemmer and John Henry. Kaemmer was co-founder of Papyrus Design Group, developers of award-winning racing simulations including NASCAR Racing: 2003 Season and Grand Prix Legends. Henry is principal owner of the Boston Red Sox and Fenway Sports Group - the co-owner of Roush Fenway Racing - as well as an avid simracer. The iRacing.com team combines more than 100 years of real-world racing experience with more than 50 years of successful racing simulation development.

Intro Video:
http://iracing.com/intro.html

Main Site:
http://iracing.com/home.html
um...
Quote from mutt107 :r factor is not a sim at all.

it is actually... anyway, you know what I mean

I have it and is a sim if you have the FeelReal plugin with a G25

Now... back on topic
KartSim - looks very promising. Graphics, physics, and all
#6 - 5haz
People here will always tell you that rFactor isnt a sim, because they are hellbent on bashing rFactor, most of these people have probrably never played rFactor, but just follow the 'ringleaders' because they are unable to think for themselves.

rFactor is still infierior to LFS though.
rFactor in its default form or with 99% of the mods can not be considered a sim, at least if your definition of simulation requires basic physical accuracy. However, when using RealFeel, a good track and one of the cars using Niels' physics, then it is by all means worthy to be called a sim.
sim·u·la·tor [sim-yuh-ley-ter]
–noun
1. a person or thing that simulates.
2. a machine for simulating certain environmental and other conditions for purposes of training or experimentation: a flight simulator.

Using the pure definition of a simulator, rFactor is a simulator, because it simulates something, weather it simulates it to a realistic degree is irrelevent, it's still a sim.
Quote from danowat :sim·u·la·tor [sim-yuh-ley-ter]
–noun
1. a person or thing that simulates.
2. a machine for simulating certain environmental and other conditions for purposes of training or experimentation: a flight simulator.

Using the pure definition of a simulator, rFactor is a simulator, because it simulates something, weather it simulates it to a realistic degree is irrelevent, it's still a sim.

well that settles it
Not really, by that definition every game could be considered a simulation, like NFS simulating driving under unrealistic conditions. It's all about the popular understanding of the word simulator here, not what the dictionary says.
You can't really bastardize the word to suit your own understanding of it, a simulator is a simulator, you could say rFactor isn't a very realistic simulator, but it still is a simulator.

The term doesn't evolve over time either, so a simulator from 20 years ago, is still a simulator today, regardless of the advances in technology making it less realistic.

Not every game is a simulator, because many games don't actually try to simulate something.
Quote from danowat :You can't really bastardize the word to suit your own understanding of it, a simulator is a simulator, you could say rFactor isn't a very realistic simulator, but it still is a simulator.

The term doesn't evolve over time either, so a simulator from 20 years ago, is still a simulator today, regardless of the advances in technology making it less realistic.

Not every game is a simulator, because many games don't actually try to simulate something.

try and keep on topic now :P
When it comes to racing games, simulation status is more about intent than success. Even semi-sims have most of the simulation code in them, there just might be simplifications, bodges, and plain made up stuff to get the handling how they desire, rather than just as it should be. Although of course that line blurs when people aim to make the cars in game handle like they think is real, rather than actually what is real.

Quote from Jamesisinthehouse12 :try and keep on topic now :P

Try not to spam your own topics to death.
True, I guess.
Quote from Bob Smith :When it comes to racing games, simulation status is more about intent than success.

Nice line
Quote from Jamesisinthehouse12 :I will start this thread off with a game I think will be quite realistic...

iRacing (no it isn't a product from apple, weirdly enough :razz

About iRacing.com
iRacing.com was founded in September of 2004 by Dave Kaemmer and John Henry. Kaemmer was co-founder of Papyrus Design Group, developers of award-winning racing simulations including NASCAR Racing: 2003 Season and Grand Prix Legends. Henry is principal owner of the Boston Red Sox and Fenway Sports Group - the co-owner of Roush Fenway Racing - as well as an avid simracer. The iRacing.com team combines more than 100 years of real-world racing experience with more than 50 years of successful racing simulation development.

Intro Video:
http://iracing.com/intro.html

Main Site:
http://iracing.com/home.html

Updated 26/07/08

iRacing is not open to public yet but it's looking very promising so far. With 8 cars, 21 tracks and 50 different layouts it's getting ready for public launch. There's few bits and pieces that still needs to be figured out but we're getting there.

Here's my quick input on the good and bad

Good
-High quality tracks and cars
-Physics feel much alike LFS, although not as forgiving.
-Sounds. I've always put a huge value on sounds being part of immersion and this sim really delivers.
-Network code, seems pretty solid and I've had no problems racing with aussies, europeans or canadians.
-Easy as hell to set up and run. Ingame menus are very user friendly and don't have hundreds of sliders and buttons to confuse you.
-Community in general, but I think that's due to pricing which is a "barrier of entry".
-No drift servers
-No cruise servers

The Bad
-Missing features such as mechanical damage, fuel strategy and proper clutch model. Also Web UI is still bit clumsy and there's no way to have a online session with people on your friends-list.
-Body damage is similiar to LFS where things bend and deform but don't really break. Some cars need bit tweaking and Solstice is like soft butter.
-Racing system can feel quite restrictive when you're used to jump-in and drive on public servers.
-Pricing, monthly fee seems about right but additional content is little pricy, large tracks like Silverstone are 25$.
-No GT/Touring cars yet.

I think that should cover the major points. Keeping in mind that sim is not released yet I'd expect most of the flaws to be fixed before open release. For me it's worth my money and I don't think I'll be returning to other sims just like I ditched GTR2 when I bought LFS S2.

In overall the system is very strict and ill behavior is not tolerated at all. Act like an ass and you'll get your account banned in no time. System includes a complaint form that can be used (and is used) to report behavior that violates the racing code, be it foul language or intentional crashing. So far I haven't had to use it as I've been able to deal with all incidents via PMs.

Edit: Updated a little.
Edit: Updated a little more
MX Simulator
http://mxsimulator.com/
MX Simulator features the ultimate in motocross gaming physics. Unlike most other MX games, you actually lean into turns and throttle, clutch and shift like on a real bike. Real life actions such as wheelies, endoes, whips, swaps, slides and high-sides happen naturally from the physics of the game in real time, without the use of canned motion capture effects. This game actually feels like riding.
features:
# Complete motorcycle physics model. Steering, suspension, clutch, transmission and power curve work just like a real bike.
# 8 different bikes based on real life dyno, gear ratio and weight information.
# Intelligent computer riders. The computer riders in this game do not cheat. They obey the same physical rules and use the same exact bike as the player does.
# Physically modeled engine noise for both 2 smokes and thumpers.
#Up to 40 riders. Run a full gate if your computer is fast enough! (A 2 GHz CPU will handle 10 riders smoothly, a 1 GHz CPU will handle 3.)

I wouldn't rate this as 'Awesome' compared with the likes of LFS, RBR since its not quite on the same level of development, but its got more accurate physics than rfactor and its a challenge to drive the bike well, so i would personally rate it as 'very good'.
Please say if you think it is... AWESOME, GOOD, BAD, HORRIBLE or YET TO BE RATED
Quote from Jamesisinthehouse12 :Please say if you think it is based on the physics and immersion...

This applys to all the people who have told me games to put on the list and haven't said how good it is
And also applys to future posts too
Quote from Jamesisinthehouse12 :This applys to all the people who have told me games and haven't said this

Well, "Awesome" would mean it's almost perfect which none of the sims are, atleast in my opinion. Furthermore, what makes the sim good for you depends on personal needs and preferences. I don't see modding or customization being essential part of the sim if basic package is good enough while others might find it very limiting.
Quote from Crommi :Well, "Awesome" would mean it's almost perfect which none of the sims are, atleast in my opinion. Furthermore, what makes the sim good for you depends on personal needs and preferences. I don't see modding or customization being essential part of the sim if basic package is good enough while others might find it very limiting.

Please say if you think it is based on the physics and immersion...
-
Project Torque (Jamesisinthehouse12) DELETED by Jamesisinthehouse12
Rating only physics and immersion, they're definately awesome and improvement over LFS.

Quote from Jamesisinthehouse12 :Could someone give this free full game a try and let me know it it is worth downloading?

Project Torque

I am capped at the moment

Thanks

It's not a sim and even as a arcade racing game it's total garbage.
wow :)
Quote from Crommi :Rating only physics and immersion, they're definately awesome and improvement over LFS.

wow, physics better than lfs?
sweet
expensive tho...

Quote from Crommi :It's not a sim and even as a arcade racing game it's total garbage.

That explains why it is free
Are we only doing PC sims here? Because allowing other platforms opens up a whole load of extra options

Richard Burns Rally (PC/Xbox/PS2)

Simply the finest rally sim there is. Bar none.

The Good
+ Car behaves how you'd expect it to under the conditions
+ Lots of weather effects
+ A decent damage model
+ Plenty of setup options
+ Decent tutorial introduction

The Bad
- Can be f*cking hard!
- No chance of a sequel
- Could be confusing for a total noob

Forza Motorsport 2 (Xbox360)

The closest thing to a sim your console is gonna get. Until FM3.

The Good
+ Cars feel natural
+ Good selection of vehicles
+ Reasonable selection of tracks
+ Great customisation and tuning options

The Bad
- Just not enough tracks
- Cars can't be flipped meaning odd physics sometimes
- Even with all driving aids off not quite up to hardcore PC sim standards
- Not enough online options
- Graphics not quite up to scratch
- Limited damage model

I think RBR belongs in the Awesome category and FM2 in the Good.
Please lose the underlines, they offend my sense of design

(133 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG