The online racing simulator
AA/AF settings
(46 posts, started )
yeah i wish that it were able to be set up ingamme as well. i can run lfs at 4xAA and 16xAF... but if i run other games with that much quality the framerate drops too much...

it would make things much easier for me.
I run 6x AA in LFS/N2003/BF2

RBR/GPL have a tantrum when they see AA so yeah it is a bit annoying and IIRC Scawen said it was very hard to select in a Dx8 engine so I don't think it will ever be a choice in S2.
Quote from Chaos :well i know, but
1. there are people who don't know there is this possibility
2. there are people with ATI cards (dunno how its done there)
3. its not for me, because when I turn AA or AF on i get about 3-6 fps... (except in very old games, ie quake 2)

1. You can install a video card, but you can't configure it?
2. Then use ATI Tray tools.
3. Then why do you want options for AA or AF?
Quote from wheel4hummer :1. You can install a video card, but you can't configure it?
2. Then use ATI Tray tools.
3. Then why do you want options for AA or AF?

1. I can
2. I have a GeForce card
3. I posted for someone who can't speak english
#30 - Jakg
Quote from Chaos :1. I can
2. I have a GeForce card
3. I posted for someone who can't speak english

you can set up profiles in the nVidia options...
+1 from me.

It'd be nice to check what AA settings do to frame rate in-game before you commit to it. Saves a few out of game clicks and a little time.
I also think it'd help those people who don't know how to set up game profiles (just cause LFS is an open alpha doesn't mean everyone who plays has a clue about computers )
Quote from Jakg :you can set up profiles in the nVidia options...

have you read what i wrote in my 2nd post? that i know this?

am i not speaking english or what?

i wrote that i don't need this, that there are other people, who don't know anything about a profile, then i said that i wrote this improvement on behalf of someone who can't speak english and still you don't understand...

is it me or ??
+1 from me.
+1 vote for AA & AF options. Why? Because Nvidia's profiler don't work properly. If i run LFS with different resolution than desktop then AA & AF options won't work!!
+1 from me
+1 from me as well.

I know a lot of guys who has PC play games and even dont know that such a option(AA+AF) exist in drivers and what it really does.

So selectable in game...everyone can easily test what it do without affecting other games.

Every new game has now AA+AF as a option to choose in game.Why LFS couldnt have it as well.
+1 from me but as someone said further up, it's very hard to select it in DX8 (going on what he/she said) so it probably won't be implemented until the devs switch to DX9.
AA in Direct3D 8:
set MultiSampleType of the device presentation parameters to the AA level you want, and the SwapEffect to D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD.

AA in Direct3D 9:
set MultiSampleType of the device presentation parameters to the AA level you want, and the SwapEffect to D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD.

AF in Direct3D 8:
set the D3DTSS_MAXANISOTROPY with SetTextureStageState to the level of AF you want, and D3DTSS_MIPFILTER/D3DTSS_MAGFILTER/D3DTSS_MINFILTER to D3DTEXF_ANISOTROPIC

AF in Direct3D 9:
Set the D3DSAMP_MAXANISOTROPY with SetSamplerState to the level of AF you want, and the D3DSAMP_MIPFILTER/D3DSAMP_MAGFILTER/D3DSAMP_MINFILTER to D3DTEXF_ANISOTROPIC

Very hard in Direct3D 8 indeed, especially compared to the D3D9 one
automatic aa and af
so you can turn off or in the options menu
Quote :Maybe this will do some good.

Ya' know, something tells me it just wont...
AA=anti-aircraft
AF=Air Force

So far, i don´t know what u talking about!

Edit

ok ok
Anti-aliasing
Anisotropic filtering

im not a open gl developer!
I hope you're joking.

If not:
Anti Aliasing
Anisotropic Filtering
Quote from matze54564 :AA=anti-aircraft
AF=Air Force

So far, i don´t know what u talking about!

google it then... ??
Complicated Stuff...
AA - Anti-Aliasing. In really basic terms, it blends object edges together so that you dont have hard pixellated (bumpy) edges to objects, but smooth ones that blend in with the background. It just takes a lot more precossing power to generate these extra "transitional" pixles with varying degrees of transparency. It's kind of like the difference between a CUT and a FADE in a video. The fade is a lot smoother, easier on the eyes, and much better looking. This explains it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antialiasing

AF - Anisotropic filtering. Put a piece of paper down on your desk. Then get down and look at it almost edge on. The paper appears just as wide, but much shorter from front to back because of your perspective. In games, the textures on objects at extreme angles tend to look stretched - because the computer is applying a square image to a long, thin polygon. Mip mapping (another effect) stretches the image beforehand so that it is applying a long, thin image to this polygon, and makes it look better. AF basically aids in this process by not only stretching the image to the correct proportions, but adjusting the amount of detail (more for the closer edge.) Again, this explains it in more depth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisotropic_filtering

I hope that helps, and I hope I know what I'm talking about!

EDIT: Lol, in the time it took me to type all that, he edited his reply, and you two both posted. Dammit.

AA/AF settings
(46 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG