The online racing simulator
Making Tracks
(15 posts, started )
Making Tracks
Hi guys, i'm pretty new to this and i hope this is in the right section. I was ust wondering if it would be possible to make custom maps/tracks for LFS, and if so, how?
No, not possible.
That is to say, there is no EASY way of doing it. If the game can read the data, then something is able to write the data. How ever we are not granted those tools, and no one has attempted to make those tools so far (outside of the dev community).
For the simple reason... the developers wish to retain control over certain aspects of the LFS racing simulator to maintain a high quality experience over the life of the project versus what happens when these parts (cars and tracks) are left up to the community where some are experts and some are novices and the end result is extremely variable.
would be fun if the Devs could hold a competition, 5 (or less / more ) people have the rights to make a new map with a few diffrent track layouts.

when all are finished the devs will rate wich one is the best. Or post pictures and some text about the map here on the forum and let the LFS users vote by a poll. the winner wil be added in a next patch

how does that sound?
Quote from henrico-20- :would be fun if the Devs could hold a competition, 5 (or less / more ) people have the rights to make a new map with a few diffrent track layouts.

when all are finished the devs will rate wich one is the best. Or post pictures and some text about the map here on the forum and let the LFS users vote by a poll. the winner wil be added in a next patch

how does that sound?

sounds that it would go out of control..
Sounds like a nice idea. Everybody who can make a nice car or track can participate in the competition. The best track and car could be converted by Scavier into the game format and included in the game.
Quote from Tomba(FIN) :sounds that it would go out of control..

I dont see a problem, bad tracks wouldn't be played and good ones would be full.

In my opinion, it would bring a whole lot of other traffic to the game but I guess the devs aren't really intersted in making money
It wouldn't just be about "good versus bad", but about different versions of each track. Just one example: I never ever played rFactor online, because of the huge amount of work involved in finding the right car and track versions to join a server.

Not only does having to install numerous tracks in numerous versions bloat up your install and propably cause combatibility issues, but it also takes away the thing (besides the physics) that make me, a paying customer, play LfS more than any other sim out there: the easy pick up play.
I like the continuity of LFS which is brought about by a single circuit developer. One direction has been decided upon and he can follow through on it. Updates don't go in several different directions which often happens with many different people working on the same project.

Plus, I doubt anyone in this community can make tracks as well as the man already on it. Top-notch work all around.
Quote from ColeusRattus :Just one example: I never ever played rFactor online, because of the huge amount of work involved in finding the right car and track versions to join a server.

A perfect example of creating a mountain out of a mole hill.
hmm, have you ever seen one racing driver who was able to create his own track and race on it in the league in real life?
Quote from Pain-less :A perfect example of creating a mountain out of a mole hill.

Might be a mole hill for you, but as I don't have very much time to play games nowadays, I rather race 20 minutes more than having either look for a server with things I got or searching, downloading and installing stuff that I propably won't use afterwards anyways.

Now it's not like I dislike modding in general, but I don't need it for LfS.

Making Tracks
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG