The online racing simulator
Fire, smoke, debris ? just a little bit please :o)
I know how far on the bottom list this feature is and how the developpers are busy on making other more important stuff, but adding just a tiny little bit of "emitters" to put some fire, sparkles, smoke and maybe some little debris would change the game's image A LOT i doubt this would have a negative impact over fps, we are in 2008 and most of regular computers would easily afford that.

anyways, this was just my fart in the desert of the day. and i still keep enjoying playing LFS every day.
The way iRacing does smoke and dirt clouds is really nice. If someone runs off the track into the dirt the dust cloud stays around for a while.

p.s. things like this should be in the improvements forum.
and the way it does it shouldn't be too hard to do really. (From my observation) it simply creates a plane that's always facing the viewpoint, and the smoke cloud texture expands and then alpha's itself away to nothing.
And expand them at random/variable rates so the the smoke doesn't look like a sprinkler. One more variable to store per smoke object. It's already gotta store current transparency and size, adding an expand rate var wouldn't be much more. Heh, maybe that looks worse ?
#5 - ajp71
I'd stay away from fire unless it can be done properly, it just looks naff in rF. iRacing has by far the best smoke and dirt in any sim, would be great if LFS could do something like it.
Stop talking about the iRacing or I have to pay for it
Quote from frokki :Stop talking about the iRacing or I have to pay for it

On LFS forums, no one will ban you for cracking iPraying
But they can and WILL ban you for talking about that sort of stuff

Probably far off in the future for this one, but:

When a car goes trackside, then returns to the track, grass/mud/sand etc are thrown across the track ...

Something to simulate this, and a small loss of traction at that point too

Sarge
According to wikipedia, dirt on the tyres already affects grip

So just having it display on the road is the next thing, then it's gonna look good. Oh, and the alpha layers thing would need to be fixed before most of these could be implemented
Quote :When a car goes trackside, then returns to the track, grass/mud/sand etc are thrown across the track ...

I've often wondered how that would all work out under a variable weather system, like how complex you could make it before it was just insane. Dirt turning to mud and drying out again... it could all get very complicated very fast. Scawen has a challenge on his hands for that stuff I bet.
Quote from Electrik Kar :I've often wondered how that would all work out under a variable weather system, like how complex you could make it before it was just insane. Dirt turning to mud and drying out again... it could all get very complicated very fast. Scawen has a challenge on his hands for that stuff I bet.

Good Lord that is something that would just rocket LFS into every simulation market

Ever !

And when PCs evole into these supermachines (or when ever it may be possible), dips in tracks + rainfall = puddles, that when hit at high speed will affect steering (e.g aquaplane-ing)

I'm going way over my head now, i'll hush

Sarge
Quote :I'm going way over my head now, i'll hush

Don't worry about it, I do it all the time
When you think of how excellent LFS could be in the future, things do get out of hand! It is good how it is, but just think how much better it will be when the new generation of computers is out...it will be like real life - in a box
Quote from Equinox :But they can and WILL ban you for talking about that sort of stuff

Probably far off in the future for this one, but:

When a car goes trackside, then returns to the track, grass/mud/sand etc are thrown across the track ...

Something to simulate this, and a small loss of traction at that point too

Sarge

It would be an awesome thing to do in my opinion, but I can only imagine all the people complaining about someone going off the track and creating dirty corners... I can hear it already : / Would be fun though besides that pain.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG