The online racing simulator
Quote from alland44 :I like you saying "playing" - I drive LFS

yea maybe i should change it lol
Not meaning to piss in to fanboys chips, but is this (quote) exactly what did NOT happen? Now that I think of it, december 2006.. have the cockpits been in the making for almost two whole years? And STILL not all of them are done? Sheesh. It's pretty damn funny in fact.

Quote from Scawen on 29th December 2006 :Not all the car interiors are done and Eric wants to release them at once, not having half a car class updated while another car is not. And one thing leads to another, so if the XRR is updated, the XRT is updated, so then the XFG should be updated as well. I expect all the interiors will be released at once, in an incompatible patch.

Makes me think. Why were the updated interiors released only for the XF and XR with this new patch instead of waiting them all to be done? Was it because Scawen noticed this thread (and many others alike) and saw the community being seriously tired at the lack of content and development speed? Are the other interiors really STILL that much in development? Not that I don't like the updated interiors we got (except for the street car steering wheel, eugh) but releasing the cockpits for a few selected cars at this stage seems like some kind of a poor efforth to bring more hope in to community (the optimistic ones) of future content. Which would of course be fine, if it would have happened to all cars. Maybe I'm just trying to read too much between the lines, who knows.
Quote from Matrixi :Not meaning to piss in to fanboys chips, but is this (quote) exactly what did NOT happen? Now that I think of it, december 2006.. have the cockpits been in the making for almost two whole years? And STILL not all of them are done? Sheesh. It's pretty damn funny in fact.

Makes me think. Why were the updated interiors released only for the XF and XR with this new patch instead of waiting them all to be done? Was it because Scawen noticed this thread (and many others alike) and saw the community being seriously tired at the lack of content and development speed? Are the other interiors really STILL that much in development? Not that I don't like the updated interiors we got (except for the street car steering wheel, eugh) but releasing the cockpits for a few selected cars at this stage seems like some kind of a poor efforth to bring more hope in to community (the optimistic ones) of future content. Which would of course be fine, if it would have happened to all cars. Maybe I'm just trying to read too much between the lines, who knows.

I say !

"Who looks at the interior, when racing"

The racing is the important thing for me

But I could be wrong
When I raced in the new interiors today I felt much more immersed because they are so much more realistic. Its not that I notice it particularly, but it is very nice to have clean-looking interiors.
Quote from Matrixi :

Until now, people "seriously tired at the lack of content and development speed" had no alternative. They had to wait, use other sims, and come back to buy LFS when a new release is ready. They were never lost for LFS community, because no other sim was able to give a similar feeling/online racing.

Now, it seems to me there is an alternative...iRacing. I did not try it, but from reviews it seems it is good enough (and updated fast enough) to prevent tired people from coming back to LFS after trying it. And as soon as you start to pay for one year, it costs so much that you have to use almost only that sim and no other anymore. It concerns only a minority of LFS users because of the cost, but it is a threat. Things start moving!
Quote from alland44 :I say !

"Who looks at the interior, when racing"

The racing is the important thing for me

But I could be wrong

Imo you sounds a little bit silly..
Interior look is very important for immersion, unless you don't drive with cockpit, if thats the case LFS isn't the right game
Quote from richard dk :Imo you sounds a little bit silly..

You know, that i never look at the interior, Richard
I don't care all that much about the interiors either. The feedback from the car, what it's doing under your hands and feet is what's vital. That's what makes the cars; those are the real ergonomics.
Quote from Matrixi :Not meaning to piss in to fanboys chips, but is this (quote) exactly what did NOT happen? Now that I think of it, december 2006.. have the cockpits been in the making for almost two whole years? And STILL not all of them are done? Sheesh. It's pretty damn funny in fact.

Thank you for demonstrating the reason why we try not to state our plans and intentions. If I ever say "I expect X" or "The plan is Y" then if something changes in the future, someone will allways hold it against us.

Plans and priorities... change!

Quote from Matrixi :Makes me think. Why were the updated interiors released only for the XF and XR with this new patch instead of waiting them all to be done? Was it because Scawen noticed this thread (and many others alike) and saw the community being seriously tired at the lack of content and development speed? Are the other interiors really STILL that much in development? Not that I don't like the updated interiors we got (except for the street car steering wheel, eugh) but releasing the cockpits for a few selected cars at this stage seems like some kind of a poor efforth to bring more hope in to community (the optimistic ones) of future content. Which would of course be fine, if it would have happened to all cars. Maybe I'm just trying to read too much between the lines, who knows.

This is pure fiction. I did notice this thread before the patch... the DAY before!

This patch's content has been planned for quite some time now. I'm far too busy working to really be lounging around reading complaint threads and trying to appease the community.

We're getting things done and there is also what I believe to be a silent majority who are quite happy to wait and see what they get.

It would be GREAT if things could be done really fast but this is the way we choose to work, as said many times before, following the inspiration and what we feel like doing. We are very pleased to make the community members happy, when things are ready. In fact that is our job, creating a product that people enjoy.

Moving away from your post...

One thing is a little upsetting - when people who already have LFS in their own language, use the development of others like East Asian languages, as some point against us. Because I chose to develop the multi byte character support in January when I was having a month off. I am very pleased with this, it was an interesting thing to develop and looks nice! I think there are a lot of Chinese, Japanese and Korean people who will be happy about version Z and that can only be a good thing.

Oh by the way, no matter how we prioritised our work, there would always be those who criticise the choices. The most imortant thing for one person is the least important for another. The solution is simple : follow the path that looks interesting to us at the time. This is not a PLC with shareholders to appease. And I'm pleased we don't have to prioritise things purely for financial gain. LFS would be a lot different if we did.
Where's Ian, I can almost smell his counter argument creeping onto the forum.
Quote from Scawen :I think there are a lot of Chinese, Japanese and Korean people who will be happy about version Z and that can only be a good thing.

I have already noticed an increase in numbers in the asian servers since you started with the chinese/japanese support and believe in time it has the potential to bring a huge increase in numbers in my time zone I want be able to understand them but I'd have alot more people to race with
Quote from Scawen :

We're getting things done and there is also what I believe to be a silent majority who are quite happy to wait and see what they get.

I`m not that silent, but that is what I`m allways talking about. Nobody knows what LFS is ending up with. That`s the best part of it
Quote from Glenn67 :I have already noticed an increase in numbers in the asian servers since you started with the chinese/japanese support and believe in time it has the potential to bring a huge increase in numbers in my time zone I want be able to understand them but I'd have alot more people to race with

Stupid Kwok support hasn't added anything for me LFS sucks whine whine whine I want more cars LFS hasn't evolved all it's got is amazing multiplayer moan moan moan.

</IanH Mode>
Quote from Scawen :Thank you for demonstrating the reason why we try not to state our plans and intentions. If I ever say "I expect X" or "The plan is Y" then if something changes in the future, someone will allways hold it against us.

Plans and priorities... change!

You're quite welcome. There is nothing wrong in changing plans and priorities, but it would be nice for the community know what is currently happening and what is changing. If something (such as this cockpit priority change) happens, wouldn't it be great to tell that to the community in a monthly developer blog or something so they wouldn't be surprised later on? Of course blogs only work if the writer has interest in writing them, and that is personal preference of course.

Quote from Scawen :This is pure fiction. I did notice this thread before the patch... the DAY before!

This patch's content has been planned for quite some time now. I'm far too busy working to really be lounging around reading complaint threads and trying to appease the community.

It would be GREAT if things could be done really fast but this is the way we choose to work, as said many times before, following the inspiration and what we feel like doing. We are very pleased to make the community members happy, when things are ready. In fact that is our job, creating a product that people enjoy.

You see, this is what I like to hear. Developer telling us he is busy working on the product, that brings me faith that we are moving somewhere in the development. Better would be knowing what is currently being worked on, but hearing work is being done sounds good by itself. The potential of LFS is what keeps me caring about it, and writing these occasional whiney posts.
at the moment i use lfs

(use? hey i'm an addict )

i've tried r factor as i love the idea of more choice, especially real tracks and cars and in particular the dallara in the spirit of 76 mod but i just cannot find a way of getting the same amount of feedback from the wheel that i do from LFS and the online side, even allowing for all the differing mods that have to match, is far from the clear system that you get with best sellers such as COD 4 or LFs' system. also generally LFs allows good online racing without major problems with lag etc.

i will try Iracing as hopefully it has good online racing and the subs aren't a problem and hopefully mean that it will be people that want to race rather than crash. however i won't stay with it if the feedback through the wheel doesn't feel natural or if i find it impossible to find races when i want them. its this second area that really concerns me about it as their developers seem to want to control every little detail of the sim. if everythings ok then for me lfs will have slipped but if the racings not available when i want to race and if the controls don't match up, then LFS will still be top for me.

in the end we will know the answer to the question in about 6 months when iracing has had a decent run out and we see what effect their pricing plan has on their user base. i suspect, given that its aprox twice that of fighter ace, that they are looking for a smaller dedicated user base and that there is room for both it and LFS in the market.

2 quick additional thoughts.

1 the arrival of iracing may well stimulate an acceleration of development for lfs if new licence numbers slow down.

2 i wonder if in 12 months there will be calls for iracing devs to keep adding more features to "justify" the regular income they are being paid and if people wil start to complain that there is X,000 licences contributing X,000 x $13 per month and they're doing nothing to earn that money.
I haven't tried iRacing, but I am addicted to LFS atm. There are very few racing games that are as good as LFS, and I don't think iRacing is one of them either. Not sure about the range of servers, community and number of websites that game has though, but definately not as much as LFS.
So your saying "I love LFS, but I know nothing about iRacing. But LFS is better!"

I'm sure iRacing is more advanced than LFS is many areas - whether it's better for me, someone who is in financial crisis, and sometimes has time for the odd-pickup race, a whole week virtually racing 24/7 some weeks then not touching my G25 for weeks at a time, is another matter...
Quote from Scawen :I think there are a lot of Chinese, Japanese and Korean people who will be happy about version Z and that can only be a good thing.

And those countries have A LOT of people, and with the improving economy of China it will benefit LFS in the long run.

Now, if we could get the best track in northern Europe, Arctic Circle Raceway, in LFS, that would be awesome! (dreaming...)
Attached images
acr stadion.jpg
I'd like to see a picture of "Arctic Circle Raceway" that's not from Google Earth if you have one - I'd love a track that had severe elevation changes and wasn't in a flat environment, i.e. next to the armco was a giant hilly forest etc.
Scawen is very right - there are indeed a lot people who are willing to wait and who know things will be good in the end. I mean, it actually doesnt matter all that much WHEN we get some new feature, because in the end, everything will the there anyways. So its baisically more like "A then B" or " first B and then A" kinda thing.
But on the other hand, you always have to take an eye on the dynamic process of the community.
At the moment this works very well for cheating - Sc is quickly fixing the annoying bugs and banning the cheats, so people can continue racing with fun. But from the point of some racers, the devs probably dont care enough about things that they (=the other racers) consider more important at the moment. For example, the esports community doesnt care about the new languages, they would like to see the collision bugs fixed etc.

Also, the times have changed and with iRacing LFS is probably going to get the first decent competitor (at least a lot other people say so; I have not tested iRacing yet).
Thus, the LFS way of development will work well for some time, but we really dont know if it will still work in 2 or 3 years.

The devs are not stupid though, so the community should trust them a bit more... they do know what they're doing, otherwise LFS would be rubbish :P
Quote from ORION :Scawen is very right - there are indeed a lot people who are willing to wait and who know things will be good in the end. I mean, it actually doesnt matter all that much WHEN we get some new feature, because in the end, everything will the there anyways. So its baisically more like "A then B" or " first B and then A" kinda thing.
But on the other hand, you always have to take an eye on the dynamic process of the community.
At the moment this works very well for cheating - Sc is quickly fixing the annoying bugs and banning the cheats, so people can continue racing with fun. But from the point of some racers, the devs probably dont care enough about things that they (=the other racers) consider more important at the moment. For example, the esports community doesnt care about the new languages, they would like to see the collision bugs fixed etc.

Also, the times have changed and with iRacing LFS is probably going to get the first decent competitor (at least a lot other people say so; I have not tested iRacing yet).
Thus, the LFS way of development will work well for some time, but we really dont know if it will still work in 2 or 3 years.

The devs are not stupid though, so the community should trust them a bit more... they do know what they're doing, otherwise LFS would be rubbish :P

If you believe - It will work !
I`m a believer
cant be bothered adding another edit to previos post.

re real world cars and tracks in iracing compared to lfs,

as current availability stands, in lfs there are 2 real world cars ( ie cars that i have seen in real life) the 2006 bmw f1 and the fbm and no real tracks

in iracing there are 2 real world cars, the legend and the radical, the rest have no relevance to me as i've never visited a race meeting in the usa. the legend is of interest as the european distributor for them is relocating to my local circuit , anglesey.

similarly at the moment there are no real world tracks for me as untill silverstone's available, they have no relevance to my experience and as such i am unable to say if they are close to real or not.

basically what im saying is that providing the cars are farily realistic in terms of appearance, power, weight etc, it makes no real difference to the racing if they are "real" or not, similarly the tracks, as long as there are no loops and canyons to jump then it makes very little differenc if they are "real" or not, what makes a good online racing sim is the feel of being there, the net code / online experience and most importantly the people you race against, thats why licenced LFSers ( new word ? ) drive the fbm on licenced servers rather than on demo servers, the programs the same, its the people and the behaviour thats different.

if the subscritpion system of iracing restricts the type of people using it to a friendly, sensible group and doesnt suffer from wreckers etc, then its good, if it goes too far and it all becomes very serious with huge sulks and arguments after every crash then its not so good
Quote from danowat :Interior look is very important for immersion, unless you don't drive with cockpit, if thats the case LFS isn't the right game

Why?

I have used chase view since the first day I played LFS and I think that it is exactly the right game for me.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG