The online racing simulator
Karting on Friday
(68 posts, started )
Karting on Friday
So this Friday I'm going Go-Karting as part of a work night out. This will be my first time.

Given that I'm fairly experienced with LFS now, how much do you think the driving experience and racecraft I've picked up in the sim will affect my ability in a real kart?

It's here we're going.
One tip:

Dont drive it like MRT or you will be out of track in no time
If you don't like it, take a laptop and a G25 because there's free Wifi. You can then play LFS!

I'm hopefully going karting for the first time sometime this summer. I'm not sure if its a wise choice to go where i'm going though as a first - here's an extract from the description.

Quote :the worlds longest fastest karting circuit, unrivalled at
2.4 miles long

Yikes!
Wont really give you much of an advantage as must people know how to apex etc... One thing LFS does really help with is the ability to pass safely and fairly. Ive been karting a few times now, most of my friends just try ramming their way through . Your back and forearms might start hurting
Quote from Maukkade :One tip:

Dont drive it like MRT or you will be out of track in no time

I was wondering whether I should try pacticing with the MRT5 with a locked diff.
Quote from Rdcranno :Wont really give you much of an advantage as must people know how to apex etc... One thing LFS does really help with is the ability to pass safely and fairly. Ive been karting a few times now, most of my friends just try ramming their way through . Your back and forearms might start hurting

Broked my back (or whatever it is) once, when i was passing that one dude, he turned to my way, my car turned upside down and you know the rest :ambulance:ambulance
-
(Rdcranno) DELETED by Rdcranno
Ouch... :Eyecrazy:

Way to inspire me with confidence...
#8 - JJ72
hold onto the kart.

and wrap yourself in some decently thicking clothes, cos it might hurt.
How much countering of over/understeer and wheelspin do you generally have to do in a kart? Those were the points where I thought LFS experience might help.
well i would say if you think about it correctly it will help slightly, my uncle runs a kart track and ramming etc gets you off the track, instantly, so it shouldnt be tolerated, as for the track, never been indoor but have driven an indoor sized outdoor track, you need to possition the kart right and get a rythm, and datona karting are good as well so should be enjoyable
I suspect that the newly developed natural correction for oversteer that LFS+Good Wheel gives will probably help you. Even though you'll be able to feel the forces amplified through your body in theory you should have that natural ability to catch a slide before it happens.

I think?
yh if you think that it will be just like lfs, you will fail but if you take more of a driving style and racecraft from lfs then it will work or should
Be very smooth, don't slide at all. I imagine you'll be using slow 4-strokes so keeping your momentum and the engine revs high is crucial

Also, I would adivse you to wear a thick jumper as it bloody hurts if you get hit and you don't ahve the luxury of a rib protector, the amount of times i've had massive bruises on my back is ridiculous.
I tryed my secound time for my life at friday 4 days ago, and she sad i was good

I want to start in gokart, but soooooooooooooooooooooo expencive (spelled rigth?)
Lfs definitely helps...I stopped going karting for about 2 years in which I discovered Lfs, and when I came back I had instantly gained 1.5 sec per lap. Now when I go karting I'm always within 1 second from the track record (in the same kart) !

It also helped on my first track day on Spa Francorchamps. I had never driven a car quite near its limits, especially my fathers car, but somehow I felt at home. I didn't need to go over the limits of the car to see what it would do, I already knew...By the end of the day I had a faster laptime than my father who has been doing a lot of track days in that car and is quite fast too! Needless to say he was pissed and finally had to acknowledge the power of Lfs, which for him is just a game.
Quote from aroX123 :I tryed my secound time for my life at friday 4 days ago, and she sad i was good

I want to start in gokart, but soooooooooooooooooooooo expencive (spelled rigth?)

Whenever I'm in doubt I just google the word and it corrects me! You should try it too. And no it's not spelled right...
Quote from jaws99 :Be very smooth, don't slide at all. I imagine you'll be using slow 4-strokes so keeping your momentum and the engine revs high is crucial

Also, I would adivse you to wear a thick jumper as it bloody hurts if you get hit and you don't ahve the luxury of a rib protector, the amount of times i've had massive bruises on my back is ridiculous.

yh the biggest rule especcially in hire karts is keep the revs up, it keeps the centrefugal clutch engaged or at least near it
my advises are...
drive the first laps slowly and get a feeling to the go-kart, avoid other drivers(you dont crash so easly) and dont try to slide.
You should go to the track and get some practice there, so you know the track a little. Best to ring the place up and check if there's an event on or not, other wise you'll be waiting a long time for Arrive and Drive.
Quote from LineR32 :You should go to the track and get some practice there, so you know the track a little.

That's a bit much, we're not having an international championship or anything, its just a bit of a piss about after work.
I raced karts for the first time in December last year, and the only (but important) thing LFS helped me with is confidence because I knew what the kart was going to do so I could drive as fast as possible already after 1 or 2 laps.

I'm a sissy normally so I wouldn't have dared to drive fast without LFS probably.
#22 - JJ72
btw...jumping up and down in the seat when leaving a corner with low rev works.
I went karting last friday, ranking is based on fastest lap, if you want to have fun, just drive, if you want to have a reasonable time, wait for an empty-ish track.

Just drive chicanes/corners/straights like you do in LFS, and you'll do fine.

You'll probably feel it if you're doing well, just drive and you'll see! =)

Have fun.
The first time i drove karts was when i was 10 I think, and I was quite horrible because I didn't know how to correct my mistakes so I usually ended up in a barrier.
I do think lfs can help you in that respect, and also with overtaking maneuvers.
Quote from JJ72 :btw...jumping up and down in the seat when leaving a corner with low rev works.

But it makes you look so silly

Karting on Friday
(68 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG