The online racing simulator
LFS looks like shards of colored glass
Guys, I've been away since Patch X. I loaded my LFS and all the setup screens look okay, but the cars and tracks look like colored shards of glass.

I'm not clear on what causes that. It seems like a video card problem. I have an Nvidia GT 6600. I haven't changed the drivers in over a year. I don't want to mess them up by mucking around unless I have to.

LFS used to run fine on my system. I'm looking for some ways of resolving the graphics problem.
Update your drivers, all of them, get rid of your weird "updateophobia".
Your system does not work, how could it get even worse? Besides, if the updates really mess something up, guess what, you can blame (etc...) the manufacturer.
Sorry guys, but I tried updating the drivers and it didn't help. Any other ideas as to whats causing the graphics glitch? The cars and trax look like sharp shards of colored glass going off at all angles and directions. I can post a picture if you can tell me what to do.
A picture says a thousand words, but it sounds like a knackered graphics card tbh.

I'd check by downloading LFS again, trying it in the demo. If that still does it then I'd try a few other games, or similiar apps, and seeing if the same thing happens again.
weird dude, I don't have any other GFX card problems and never have. I'll try downloading S2 again. Like I said I haven't tried it in 6 months. I thought maybe something had changed in that time.
I loaded up S1 and it looks the same. So does S2 vL.05. Something is wrong with the way the game is running. I don't know what else to do. But if someone can tell me how to get a picture I'll post it so you can see what it looks like. Maybe then someone can figure out what happened since I used to run LFS 6 months ago.
First off, you should download a fresh S2 Y and see how things run although I have to admin, looks like a GFX hardware problem.

Good Luck
show us a screen?
Press Ctrl+S in game to get a screen shot. It is saved to the lfs/data/shots/ folder. This is a new feature since X patch release.

I was getting this sort of thing once, and it turned out to be overheating. Give your PC a clean and blow out the cobwebs. If you ar able to change PC parts yourself, even just try reset your graphics card in the motherboard in case the contacts are not contacting right. But, if your playing other reasonably GPU intensive games with no problems, then the overheating/dust/contacts might not be the problem.
Attached is a screenie of the menu with the car. The car looks like shards of colored glass...all triaangles and angles.

Sorry if this doesn't help I'll try and get an on track screenie.
Attached files
LFSmenucar.doc - 697 KB - 353 views
Quote from Leftyx :Attached is a screenie of the menu with the car. The car looks like shards of colored glass...all triaangles and angles.

Sorry if this doesn't help I'll try and get an on track screenie.

sry but your gfx card is dead.
Quote from JasonJ :Press Ctrl+S in game to get a screen shot. It is saved to the lfs/data/shots/ folder. This is a new feature since X patch release.

I was getting this sort of thing once, and it turned out to be overheating. Give your PC a clean and blow out the cobwebs. If you ar able to change PC parts yourself, even just try reset your graphics card in the motherboard in case the contacts are not contacting right. But, if your playing other reasonably GPU intensive games with no problems, then the overheating/dust/contacts might not be the problem.

I tend to agree normally, but in this case I don't think it's the card. GPL still looks great after 6 months of being away. And all other programs are behaving.

So I went back and loaded some older versions of LFS and they all look the same. Triangles of colored broken shards. I wonder if something is up with LFS and the way it loads or something. It's just cars and tracks. Menus look fine.
Quote from mutt107 :sry but your gfx card is dead.

Guess I'll have to go out and get a new card. It's weird since every other game looks fine.
For those that don't have WORD here is the screen of the problem.
Attached images
cars warped.jpg
Quote from JasonJ :For those that don't have WORD here is the screen of the problem.

Thank you Jason. I appreciate this very much.
#16 - Jakg
i'd check your GFX card temps first to see if it's overheating, then try new drivers.
Also check your PSU, LFS puts a lot of stress on your CPU and a low wattage PSU might not be able to power both CPU and GFX card under high load.
I had similar problems with a 350W PSU, P4 Northwood 2.8@3.2, R9800XT standard clock. It's working fine now with a 480W PSU
#18 - pipa
A picture posted in a word document. I am wondering that im the first, but that is an epic fail
#19 - J.B.
If you have removed the dust from your GPU (can of compressed air works best) and have checked that the GPU fan is still spinning then the GPU is actually broken. Been there.
Quote from morpha :Also check your PSU, LFS puts a lot of stress on your CPU and a low wattage PSU might not be able to power both CPU and GFX card under high load.
I had similar problems with a 350W PSU, P4 Northwood 2.8@3.2, R9800XT standard clock. It's working fine now with a 480W PSU

I replaced the PSU a year ago. I actually gave my old one to a fellow sim racer who needed a new power supply. He says it works fine in his machine.

I have a 400W PSU now and it drove the card fine for 6 months.

Thanks for the reply. The concensus is that the graphics card is not working.
Quote from pipa :A picture posted in a word document. I am wondering that im the first, but that is an epic fail

Well I don't know how to take LFS screenies so I did what I do at work when I need to show someone a screen. Ctrl-PrScr the screen and paste into a Word doc. I did say thanks to the person who made a .jpg of the screen.
Quote from J.B. :If you have removed the dust from your GPU (can of compressed air works best) and have checked that the GPU fan is still spinning then the GPU is actually broken. Been there.

The concensus is that the graphics card isn't working. I'll take a look at the fan. But I have a feeling I need to replace the graphics card.

I'll post my specs later and see about advice for a new graphics card.

Thanks all.

I'm curious as to why GPL would perform fine but LFS wouldn't. Could be because GPL is 10 years old and doesn't need as much GPU power? I don't know. Does NEbuddy else know?

I checked teh fan and it's working fine.
Hi Guys. Should I try asking Scawen? Maybe if he looked at the picture he could say that some setting was changed in teh last 6 months and that it needs to be changed. That would be cool. I so want to get into some LFS.

Like I said. No problems with any other games. Just the cars and trax in LFS.

NEbuddy else have any ideas?
Show us what it looks like in game. That little picture of the car doesn't really show us much.
That little picture can be zoomed to show full screen, or close to it. The car is an example of what the cars and trax look like.

If you have a suggestion, please describle what you think is causing the problem.

If you really can't see well enough, then I'll go in an get a screenie. BTW do you know where the screenies are saved when you do a cntl-S?

Sorry, nevermind about where the pic is saved. I re-read the thread and JasonJ told me where to find the screenies.

I can't make one now since I'm at work but I'll post one tonight.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG