The online racing simulator
Lost Connection Problems
Hello Everyone

Semi noob here. Having raced on ctra for about 6 months without a problem i've now encountered an issue with lag and losing connection.

I race mainly on the single seater 1 server which is fine until between 5 and 10 people are connected. Then I get so far into a race and all the other cars lag and eventually I lose the connection.

With upwards of 20 connections im lucky to be connected for more than 10 seconds. It appears to be only ctra servers I have this problem with.

I run lfs on a reasonably powerful sony vaio laptop connected to the internet via wirelessN and a 2mb cable connection courtesy of virgin media tested at just under 1mb real speed. Not the fastest in the world but it should be enough surely?

I don't know if there are issues with virgins service. Is there any way of pinpointing exactly where the problem lies? Im no computer wiz unfortunately. Any help appriciated as its really doing my head in not being able to race cause im just starting to show some improvement in my lousy driving .

Thanks in advance

Badger
(azonic1)
(chris)
#2 - SamH
I have Virgin as well, and it looks like recently they've had some routing problems. My connection has slowed down to a crawl a few days in a row, now, during peak times. I'm on 20Mbit, too, so I can't begin to imagine what it would be like on a 1Mbit connection.

To make the best of your connection, make sure that neither you nor anyone else sharing your internet connection has any P2P software running while you're playing LFS. Often that stuff doesn't close, but minimises to the system tray instead, and carries on leeching/seeding in the background. Also make sure that you don't have a spyware infection, since those can hurt your connection while they collect and transmit your internet usage habits to information thieves.

Lastly, and most importantly, if you can avoid wireless in deference to a wired connection, that would be far better for playing LFS. Wireless connections can be very unreliable.. one minute you're playing happily online, the next moment someone is microwaving their dinner a couple of doors down, and your internet connection is suddenly toast. This problem is much less prevalent with wired connections, so if you can do it, go that way.
agree about the wireless, the packet dropping as well is awful, if you can wire it do it, and i have had some probs with vigin media as well, so your not alone

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG