The online racing simulator
#1 - Migz
Building Computer (Parts & General Info)
Ignore All The Rest And Click Here.

Edit: Please follow the link under here to go to my new request, the rest of this post doesn't matter now.
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=909455#post909455 <-- Follow

Seeing as its my birthday at the end of this month my dad was thinking of geting me a new computer seeing as my old arse 4 year old one is about to set fire to itself.

And he's found a "top of the range" computer which is just over £1000

although it is pretty good a friend of mine said you could probably build a computer of the same specs for £600.

So i started wondering about maybe building my own computer (here comes the flaming :razz

Bassicly i need lots and lots of links to help about building computers, if it seems to hard or too confusing then pah ill just get the pre built one. Now im expecting alot of you to say "blah blah blah if your looking for help on how to build a computer your not smart enough to do it in the first place" well if this is true then how does anybody first build they're computer? They need help from somewhere

So yeah links to help with building a computer.

And seeing as i have a shed load of cash for this computer can you all recomend the best of everything?

Best graphics card, sound card, motherboard ect....

Or if one of you can do one of those little things where you set up a checkout on a website and then i get a link to that, that'd be cool

Thanks for any help
#2 - Jakg
Best of everything will set you back more than a grand...

Skulltrail Mobo = £300.
2x QX9775's = £600.
2x GTX280's = £400.

That's £1,300 and you've got no RAM, HDD's, Case, PSU etc...

Is there anything from your current PC you can salvage? Do you need a new monitor, keyboard or mouse?

BTW - Building a PC isn't hard. If you can assemble an IKEA flat-pack you can do it (heck I can't even do that and look at all the stuff i've done!)
If you want a video tutorial on how to build a pc, here you go:
NCIX good enough gaming system part A and part B.

Since thank god many, if not all, mobos have an identical layout, at least the atx ones, there won't be any problems.

Also, look out for other vids of the same series if you'd like more detailed info on thermal compound, installing / changing gfx card and ram.

I too thought, until a couple a years ago, that building a pc was difficult, but since I began taking apart our PCs here at home, I've seen that it's a lot easier than it seems. Especially since I had to rebuild everything to not let my parents know . I guess everyone has been through that.

EDIT: @Jakg: IKEA stuff is easy as long as you don't trust the manuals.
#4 - Migz
Quote from Jakg :Best of everything will set you back more than a grand...

Skulltrail Mobo = £300.
2x QX9775's = £600.
2x GTX280's = £400.

May i ask what the bottom two things are?

The only thing i can take from my old computer is the keyboard and mouse. Im planning to get a new 24" inch monitor too.

Hmm well maybe not top of the range then, but something that means it'll be a while before im needing a new computer.

@Fabri91 thanks for those links shall check them out.

Oooh so building a computer isnt hard? whoot!
Quote from Migz :May i ask what the bottom two things are?

The only thing i can take from my old computer is the keyboard and mouse. Im planning to get a new 24" inch monitor too.

Hmm well maybe not top of the range then, but something that means it'll be a while before im needing a new computer.

@Fabri91 thanks for those links shall check them out.

Oooh so building a computer isnt hard? whoot!

Glad to help!

Quote from Jakg :
2x QX9775's = £600.
2x GTX280's = £400.

The first things are processors, while the last two are Nvidias new top of the line GFX cards.

EDIT: Here you go, see attachment.

These are the essentials, and, as you can see, there should be enough room for a case, psu and a decent monitor. I haven't included them since I don't know a shit about them.
Attached images
LFS Forum pc spec.jpg
#6 - Migz
Why would i need two of the graphics cards? surely id only need one graphics card?

And thanks
Quote from Migz :Why would i need two of the graphics cards? surely id only need one graphics card?

And thanks

It would be more 1337.
#8 - Migz
Ahah thank you im just going through that list now and deciding which bits too much for me and which bits not enough :P

Like graphics card, the gtx is better.

And the processor, screw quad core too much lol, going down to a dual core
#9 - Jakg
Don't get an 8800GTX.
#10 - Migz
#11 - Jakg
8800GTS is almost as fast (5% slower at most) cooler, quieter and uses a hell of a lot less power.
It uses the old G80 core. It's better to buy something with a G92 core such as the new 8800gts or 9800gtx.
Got beaten...
#13 - Migz
Ohh i see, hmm fair enough.

Ive just been told that maybe i should wait for hte newer card?
9800gtx/s

Anybody have a clue when this will come out?

Edit: Wha, the 9800gtx has already come out?

2nd Edit: hmm im just wondering, would it be possible for someone to give a list of everything needed for the computer to work?
i.e

1.Processor
2.Graphics card
3.Mobo
ect ect so i know what to look for?
#15 - Migz
#16 - Jakg
#17 - Migz
Quote from Jakg :oh God.

How very nice

Edit: just checking your links now
Quote from Jakg :oh God.

You called?

On topic though: You'd need a motherboard, a hdd, a gfx card, a cpu, a power supply unit (psu), a case, memory and a dvd-player.

That's about it, I think
Not sure if i'm mistaken but the mobo you posted luke is socket 775, whereas the processor you posted is AM2...
#21 - Jakg
whats wrong with asrock?

ok so it may need a bigger psu.

Anyway thats a specced up version of my pc combo. They run well together.

And don't dis tekvalue parts.
#23 - Jakg
ASRock = Asus' BUDGET brand. Low end chipsets, low build quality, poor relability, lack of features etc.

PSU is tiny and useless and liable to kill every component in that PC on boot.

AM2 is not a good base for a £1k PC.

I spend a lot of time on my PC - the hardware is important, but why control it through a £10 keyboard/mouse combo? my mouse costs a little more than most but use it for a few days and you'll realise why i love it - it's quality, and comfortable. Same with keyboards.

As a guideline, i'd get:
Intel Q9450,
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro (plus the obvious AS5),
Asus P5K-E (perhaps a P45 board or even an x38 board if your considering Crossfire or extreme overclocking).
4 GB of quality DDR800 RAM,
An X-Fi XtremeMusic sound card (ONLY if you have DECENT speakers),
Nice case (i.e. Antec 900) and PSU (i.e. a Corsair 580w unit.
Cheap-o DVD-RW drive.
A 1TB Samsung F1 drive (perhaps even 2 in RAID0),
*insert GFX card here* (i.e in the next month lots and LOTS of new GFX cards will be on the market and prices of old and new stuff will change a LOT).

If i get bored at School tommorow i'll price it all up.
Yeah budget stuff can be just as good. My mouse a budget optical mouse cost about £4 and i use it all the time and love it. This keyboard was 99p in a tekheads clearance yet has lasted ages and never had anythign go wrong.

My pc is running that psu yes when i have some cash it is getting replaced it has never gone wrong even though it barly fits in my case cause my old big one erm kind of erm got abit dented. My Asrock board has allowed my cpu to achive it's full power of 2.7ghz.
My pc even though it is about a £600 pc uses am2 as a base and is the better for it.
#25 - Jakg
*sigh*

Have you ever used a QUALITY mouse? I.e. a Logitech MX1000 or Revolution? Didn't think so...

I don't think your PC uses a 9800GX2 on that PSU, if it did it would either not boot, or kill several components in the system as it burns out - i've lost an £80 mobo through "saving " £20 on a cheap PSU, and then having to buy a new mobo and decent PSU negated that...

What you mean by "full power" I have no idea, I guess you mean overclocking, I really don't think you have a clue what your on about.

How is your PC "better" for using AM2? Can you get a decent Quad Core for AM2? No. Can you get proper motherboards for AM2? No. Is AM2 going the way of 939 soon? Yes.

I love AMD but recently they've totally failed with everything...

EDIT - Sorry if this seems harsh, but i've seen so much "advice" from Luke which is totally false. Imagine if I let this slide, this guy wastes £1k on a silly system, the PSU catches fire and burns out a £300 GFX card, the CPU and maybe the board, and then has trouble selling the rest of the hardware off as no-one wants the tat?

I hang around the Technical Assistance section to help people, and usually I do - if i make a mistake I WANT people to say so I can correct it. This is the reason I prefer PC questions are posted on the forum, rather than being PM'ed to me.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG