The online racing simulator
Triple projectors, bad idea?
(4 posts, started )
I've been tossing around the idea of getting triple projectors. If I can find a solid 720p projector that I can buy ~$500-$600 do you think it would be worth it?

I was thinking about using three ~40-50" screens. I don't want the display to be larger than life.

Positives
Seamless display if projectors are aligned properly and bulbs have same age
Display size
Cost (compared to using three 40-50" LCD's)

Negatives
Ambient light
Heat (my home theater projector gives off alot of damn heat)
Bulb life/cost. I've been using my current projector for 2-3 years without any issues.

What do you guys think? I'm currently using a single S-IPS panel @ 1600x1200 and I'm worried that I may be wasting my money due to lack of resolution of cheaper projectors.
Quote from Technique :I've been tossing around the idea of getting triple projectors. If I can find a solid 720p projector that I can buy ~$500-$600 do you think it would be worth it?

I was thinking about using three ~40-50" screens. I don't want the display to be larger than life.

Positives
Seamless display if projectors are aligned properly and bulbs have same age
Display size
Cost (compared to using three 40-50" LCD's)

Negatives
Ambient light
Heat (my home theater projector gives off alot of damn heat)
Bulb life/cost. I've been using my current projector for 2-3 years without any issues.

What do you guys think? I'm currently using a single S-IPS panel @ 1600x1200 and I'm worried that I may be wasting my money due to lack of resolution of cheaper projectors.

It depends what sort of experience you were after. For a pin sharp graphical experience then its the monitor, if its the ultimate experience and total immersion then i'd go for the projectors.
If you haven't got anything better to spend your money on then go for it. I have a Panasonic Ae500 that does 1280 x720 it cost me £300 back in December. I think you can pick them up for £250 ($480) these days with plenty of hours left on them.

Downsides:

Hell of a lot of setting up
Leads & wires every where
Drilling holes in your ceiling
Needs to be a dark room
many summer days will pass whilst you sit indoors staring at a moving image

Upsides:

Biggest LFS setup in existence!
Life size immersion
SoftTH will run other games in super wide mode
Bragging rights
I too want triple overhead projections.. But I would not do it with a 720P projector... 1080p all the way. If it was just for xbox, TV or PS3 720p would be fine.. but as a PC monitor 1080p is the way to go.

(4 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG