The online racing simulator
Anatomy of a stock car
(18 posts, started )
Anatomy of a stock car
Hello folks!

I have been asked to help a buddy of mine who is going to be racing a local short track.

I know this is primarily a road racing forum, but for the few circle track fans, would anyone have resources pertaining to the anatomy of a stock car, or some set up tips and what not?

Kinda vague I know, but any information at all would be swell!
Kinda too vague. Describe the track/car. There's a lot of things that you can do that might be against the rules.
We run in a 1/3 mile short oval up here in Atlantic Canada. Its a "Sportsman" division car...which I know means very different things to very differet people. But essentially your plain ol North American vehicle.

I guess I am just looking for articles or literature as to how they are to set up, what to look for. Possibly a broken down view of components and what not.

Anything I can get really..love this stuff
The best thing I can tell you is to spend a few nights in the pits looking at other cars. In general, other racers are glad to help new teams get into the sport.

Look at all the things that teams are doing to modify parts and whatnot. "Sportsman" does mean different things. Do you have a rule book? There is no point in even building a car if you don't know what you are allowed to do or not do. "Circle Track" magazine might help you too.
He already has the car built and has been racing for a year and a half.

As I am coming on as a helping hand, I am just trying to learn the general landscape of names of components, how to actually make the chassis do what you want it to do.

Light reading to bring me up to speed and what not
Well a 'sportsman' shouldn't really have much of anything to adjust, just be there if something breaks =)

You mean you want to know what an A-arm is? Or tie rod end? Differential?

www.howstuffworks.com may help with some of those.
You're going to see stange things when it comes to chassis tuning on an oval. If the car is close to being set up properly, you should only be worried about tire pressures and cross weights. Tire pressure is adjusted to achieve a temperature as close as possible to the manufactures suggested range as measured by a pyrometer across the tread width. Corner weights are adjusted by different means depending on the rulke book. By changing ride heights on opposite corners, you are shifting weight from the right-front to the right-rear tire.

Do you have a link to a rule book? I'd love to take a look. Then I would be able to tell you exactly what adjustments you are likely to encounter. I don't want to read too much into 'sportman' and tell you something contrary to your reality. In my area, we have sportsman modifieds, street stocks, bombers, pro4, outlaw stock, late models, strictly stock, hobby stock, pony stock, and the list goes on. Each one has different rules.

A link to your home track would also help.
Thanks for the suggestions thus far guys. I really appreciate it!

And when I say 'Sportsman'...I dont think we are thinking the same thing Christoper. The cars in the 'Sportsman' class around here are tube chassied vehicles. I guess similar to what the U.S. ranks would call 'Late Models' only less power. Fully tweakable and te like.

http://speedway.brandnewkickz.com/?page_id=6

Those are the rules, the class he runs in is the 'Martin's Home Heating Sportsman' division.
Quote from Dorkman :Thanks for the suggestions thus far guys. I really appreciate it!

And when I say 'Sportsman'...I dont think we are thinking the same thing Christoper. The cars in the 'Sportsman' class around here are tube chassied vehicles. I guess similar to what the U.S. ranks would call 'Late Models' only less power. Fully tweakable and te like.

http://speedway.brandnewkickz.com/?page_id=6

Those are the rules, the class he runs in is the 'Martin's Home Heating Sportsman' division.

Ahh, yeah we call them limited late models =) sportsmen vehicles are older vehicles with factoryish power and no suspension changes.
Quote from Dorkman :I am just trying to learn the general landscape of names of components

Sorry to be harsh, but if you don't know the names of components you won't be any help tuning a car to a track. Unless of course it's a really REALLY shit series, in which case what's the point.

I suspect the former. In a few years you might know enough to just about sort very vague handling problems, but nothing special.
Quote from tristancliffe :Sorry to be harsh, but if you don't know the names of components you won't be any help tuning a car to a track. Unless of course it's a really REALLY shit series, in which case what's the point.

I suspect the former. In a few years you might know enough to just about sort very vague handling problems, but nothing special.

not necessary, setups as everything with cars on tracks is about physics. if you know the math behind it, it will help. but to communicate with other people in a team you need to know the names of the parts. and when starting a racing team the smallest support can help.

so i think you just
Ah ok, I was under the impression that understanding what roll bars do, and how camber curves and load sensitivity work with respect to things like tyre condition, life and age would generally come AFTER knowing what a roll bar is called.

And the maths behind it is all well and good in 'perfect' mathematical simulations, but won't help too much when it comes to multiple transient conditions in a very short space of time on a varying surface, with varying tyres, when the prediction states neutral and the driver states it's undriveable.

I've done the maths on my car, and it bears no resemblance to how it actually performs on track. Yes, I can work out that lowering the rear ride height will lower the roll centre, and tend to decrease the load transfer ratio on that axle, but it's a steady state condition assumption, and they don't exist very often on a track - even an oval.

So I think you just too
Quote from tristancliffe :Sorry to be harsh, but if you don't know the names of components you won't be any help tuning a car to a track. Unless of course it's a really REALLY shit series, in which case what's the point.

I guess I was unclear. Initially they want me onboard to just help out with the team. Performing simple tasks (checkin pressures, tempurates, perform presession checks, what have you). I never stated they were signing me up to start tweaking te car.

And yeah I am fairly new, although not entirely oblivious. We all have to start somewhere. Just trying to find a good place to start
Ah, now that is different, and I wish you the best of luck. I thought, from your post, that you were hoping to come in, learn some names, and make the car better...

But if you just plan to do what you can, whilst learning what you can, then motorsport is a great training ground! It's hard work (lots of pushing, lifting, carrying etc), but absolutely worth it!
No harm no foul.

I do currently run a 4 stroke kart, just looking to branch out. I just know when it comes to an actual stock car, I get lost in some of the terminology.

But thanks for the help thus far folks! You have all been great and what not
Quote from Dorkman :No harm no foul.

I do currently run a 4 stroke kart, just looking to branch out. I just know when it comes to an actual stock car, I get lost in some of the terminology.

But thanks for the help thus far folks! You have all been great and what not

A bit off-topic, but as I've followed this thread I see that you've got yourself a S2 license, congratulations.
Haha thanks.

Anatomy of a stock car
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG