The online racing simulator
broadcasting lfs
(77 posts, started )
Interesting, Leadtek is going to offer a PCI-E card able to capture HDMI video. It also features hardware mpeg2 and h264 compression.

prototype pic
good upload (1mbit min.), a good server to which your viewers can connect or you stream to a streaming network, and minimum 2 PCs, where one has a TV-In/Video in and the other a video out.

The rest is OpenSource video ware (vlan anyone? ) and some testing here and there.
i am not quite sure but why not stream over TVU player, uuSEE, TVant,... or something like that?
Quote from Fischfix :i am not quite sure but why not stream over TVU player, uuSEE, TVant,... or something like that?

There's no reason (other than to consider if people have that kind of software) not to. This thread has, however, been about capturing and compressing the picture you get in your screen.
Anyone kind with a fast processor and internet connection willing to help us mortal people in broadcasting a lfs stream? I can only produce superlaggy very low-res crap
i have a 1MBit upload bandwidth, but also with that you can not provide the best quality. the problem is on the other side, that you need a relay server, so more than 1 people can watch the stream. i did it with 1 pc and windows media encoder and a friend of mine watched the stream. worked well.
Quote from haelje : the problem is on the other side, that you need a relay server, so more than 1 people can watch the stream.

Well yes, but in an emergency you can use different p2p based solutions. But I'm glad to hear someone's cracked it Would you volunteer for providing videostream?

Teh Kyoto 500 is coming up in the 28th of june.. So does anyone have a relay server I could borrow?
thats why i said use sopcast, tvu or something like that...

during the EM lots of people stream the local tv program for everyone in the world. shouldn't be that difficult if john doe can do it, we can do this 100%

Quote :"SopCast is a simple and free way to broadcast video and audio or watch video and listen to radio on the Internet."

when i read the tutorial for broadcasting everything looks quite easy.

yesterday i've watched the soccer games over a sopcast channel streamed by a guy in spain and it worked perfectly.
Quote from Fischfix :thats why i said use sopcast, tvu or something like that...

I know what you ment but no-one was talking about that earlier

Seriously, they're good applications for broadcasting but viewing isn't as simple as a good ol' server. Teh p2p programs also require you to set up your router properly, and for some people that's a mission impossible.
funny, i did not need to setup a router or anything using sopcast... at the moment i am in budapest in a hotel via wireless lan, and am using it. last month i was in berlin and used it and i was in italy on a camping lot and used it without any problem.

the use is so easy: you get a link like: sop://blablabalbla click on it, the application opens up and streams the video stream, which is nothing else then a mms stream.

i am not sure on this but i think you even can use mediaplayer to open those streams.

and the bigest advantage is, you do not have to worry about upload, as the sopcast system is taking the load for distribution to multiple clients...

if i do 360° cup broadcasts, this is probably the way i will go
Quote from Fischfix :funny, i did not need to setup a router or anything using sopcast... at the moment i am in budapest in a hotel via wireless lan, and am using it. last month i was in berlin and used it and i was in italy on a camping lot and used it without any problem.

Because I and many others use a firewal/router. The general idea of the firewall is to block potentially dangerous connections.

Quote :

the use is so easy: you get a link like: sop://blablabalbla click on it, the application opens up and streams the video stream, which is nothing else then a mms stream.

i am not sure on this but i think you even can use mediaplayer to open those streams.

Well you can certaily watch it with media player.. You can watch any video stream (weather it's integrated to your website or to a p2p program) with it if you only check the videostream address from the video properties window.
i use a firewall as well... and i did not need to configuer. the first time you start the software, the firewall pops up, asks if you want to block it or not... if you get lfs to run, then this should not be a problem.. but
its your decision how you want to stream

i'd go for the easiest way, and use a program which is already in use rather then trying to invent the wheel for new
Quote from Fischfix :i use a firewall as well... and i did not need to configuer. the first time you start the software, the firewall pops up, asks if you want to block it or not.

That's a software firewall. I have a hardware firewall as well which I was talking about.
if you establish the connection to your relay (the normal method) rather than than the relay contacting you, then a hardware firewall wont matter. It would only matter if end users connected directly to your media stream, if thats so I want your connection!
There are enough technics available to establish P2P connections between 2 PCs, even if both are sitting behind NAT routers. All you need is one server with direct access to the internet (not sitting behind a NAT router, usually a root server in a data center). The real question is, if SopCast (or any other P2P TV solution) makes use of one of these technics and what ports it uses.
In the german LFS forum an user has posted a link to a new broadcast platform http://www.zaplive.tv, what looks very promising. Its use is for free (I would expect "currently", because it is still beta. I would wonder if it would be for free after beta). Also it looks very, very easy to use, the software (it is just a flash plugin) automatically detects your capture device (webcam, DV cam...) and quality (what I have seen so far) looks good. A lot of useful features (chat available, number of spectators visible...) are already implemented.
Maybe someone with sufficient upload bandwidth has the chance to test it. If you need huge numbers of spectators for the test, just let me know, I would like to attend.

kind regards
Soeren
Quote from Soeren Scharf :
Maybe someone with sufficient upload bandwidth has the chance to test it. If you need huge numbers of spectators for the test, just let me know, I would like to attend.

Ok, I just put a(n awful) stream up. https://www.zaplive.tv/web/producer/hyntty

I hereby challenge everyone who has a fast computer to do better so we wouldn't have to suffer from this. You'll need the VH screencap driver (take a look few posts earlier for the setup)
Quote from hyntty :Ok, I just put a(n awful) stream up. https://www.zaplive.tv/web/producer/hyntty

I hereby challenge everyone who has a fast computer to do better so we wouldn't have to suffer from this. You'll need the VH screencap driver (take a look few posts earlier for the setup)

Hey that's not to bad... I mean yes, it's low res and yes, the framerate is low, but hey, it's a start
a minute ago it still had sound, dunno what went wrong
It's nice, even without sound. 5 viewers
Yep it's quite bearable, for the cost.

Some tweaking here and there, view-angles, sound and you're ready to broadcast. I am curious what options (quality, bandwidth) zaplive offer, must take a look on it later.
The sound does work, we tested it earlier. I just took a simple loop-cord to do the job.

Maybe the quality would be better if I had two monitors and whole-screen lfs?
the good thing with this tool is, you do not need any special software to install to watch it. you get a handy link and thats it. i like it.

so how does it work, is your signal streamed to a server of zaplive and from there spread across the viewers?

how did you set up your gear and everything? can you describe it a bit so other people may profit from it?
Quote from hyntty :
Maybe the quality would be better if I had two monitors and whole-screen lfs?

I suppose yes. At least it would give you precise control over screen size & frame-caption so you will be able to skip resizing in VHSC. When we are at VHSC - I've achieved more fluent video with options "Optimise screen capture", "Optimise screen deliver" set to OFF.

EDIT: I don't know how VHSC would perform with capturing from 2nd, mid-res fullscreen desktop, though.
Can you add commentary to it?

broadcasting lfs
(77 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG